Events

Tour of Norway: Edvald Boasson Hagen podiums on opening stage

· By Press Office · 2 comments

In his first race back after breaking his collarbone at the Gent-Wevelgem in late March, Edvald Boasson Hagen sprinted to 3rd place on today’s opening stage of the Tour of Norway. Only Alexander Kristoff (Katusha) and Caleb Ewan (Orica-Greenedge) would cross the line ahead of Eddy.

ccs-62657-0-03785600-1432144039.jpg

While the stage always looked to be one for a bunch kick on paper, this was not such a certainty with 10km to go. An original break of 5 riders went clear early on and the gap was always under the control of Katusha, Orica-Greenedge and Team MTN-Qhubeka p/b Samsung. It was with 50km to go that things got interesting as Sean De Bie and Pim Ligthart from Lotto-Soudal bridged the 2 minute gap to the leaders.

Now 7 strong, the break pushed the lead back up to 3’00” with just 25km to go. It took a chase at full effort by Katusha and the MTN-Qhubeka p/b Samsung riders to bring the escapees back. Jaco Venter, also in his first race back after breaking his humerus, would put in some monster turns while the rest of the boys positioned Eddy for the hopeful sprint.

400m to go and the break were caught! Eddy launched his sprint on the tough uphill gradient and was only just passed by Kristoff and Ewan inside of 100m to go. It was a great return to racing for Edvald after an all-round superb team performance to set up the finale.

I am pretty happy with how the stage went today. The team were really good and positioned me well throughout the stage. For my first race back I must say I was feeling pretty good actually. We have got a nice result on which to build on for the rest of the week.
Edvald Boasson Hagen – Rider

Comments

Gen

May 20, 2015, 5:55 PM

Nice one Eddie B

Mopkop

May 20, 2015, 6:16 PM

Great stuff!

Add a comment

You must log in to comment