Events

Tri Talk SA: What is holding you back from being an Ironman?

· By BikeHubCoreAdmin · 26 comments

This week Tri Talk SA are joined by two of the most inspiring triathletes you will ever meet.

ccs-41808-0-90815600-1379587106.jpg

Hein Wagner, who was born blind, completed his first Ironman in April this year and speaks about some of the obstacles he had to overcome to achieve his goal. Hein also holds the blind land speed record, has completed the ABSA Cape Epic and has one amazing story.

Chantel Rall talks to Brad about her journey to Ironman and overcoming cervical cancer at the same time. You can listen to these two phenomenal athletes’ stories below.

Related posts

Comments

Witkop

Sep 19, 2013, 1:34 PM

what is holding me back? Swimming......

Ryan

Sep 19, 2013, 1:40 PM

It's far...

Wil6

Sep 19, 2013, 1:58 PM

I.T.B

VicanZA

Sep 19, 2013, 2:36 PM

Just to easy, have been told the comrades marathon is the way to go.

FondTF2

Sep 20, 2013, 5:27 AM

On my bucket list.

Dirt De Vil

Sep 20, 2013, 5:37 AM

Its a road event.

Xterra, anytime

Guest Karma

Sep 20, 2013, 5:38 AM

what is holding me back? Swimming......

+1

RexFuzzle

Sep 20, 2013, 5:46 AM

Price.

scotty

Sep 20, 2013, 5:46 AM

What's holding me back ? I suck at swimming, cycling and running.

Thug

Sep 20, 2013, 6:07 AM

Nothing.

Been there, done that, got the t-shirt.

Time to move on.

Stretch

Sep 20, 2013, 6:08 AM

the swimming for sure. the swim leg even prevents me from doing a standard tri ...I can swim fine, but have a "phobia' of going deep out where i have no accessible access to something to stand on or hold onto....result of a pool incident when i was a laaitjie

need to get over it one day.....and they are running out

Garfield2010

Sep 20, 2013, 6:09 AM

What's holding me back ? I suck at swimming, cycling and running.

Well we are about another 1,000 athletes at ironman with that very same problem! Makes for some brilliant camaraderie.....

Mongoose!

Sep 20, 2013, 4:54 PM

way over priced for a one day event - WAYYYYYY overpriced

Garfield2010

Sep 20, 2013, 5:05 PM

Mongoose! Its worth every sent!!! Do it and you will understand.

MrFine

Sep 20, 2013, 5:21 PM

On my bucket list. Must be a great achievement although Thug might think it is over rated.Quote"Been there, done that, got the t-shirt."

Thug

Sep 20, 2013, 5:53 PM

On my bucket list. Must be a great achievement although Thug might think it is over rated.Quote"Been there, done that, got the t-shirt."

No, not overrated at all. A brilliant race but one you need to prepare for properly. I just don't see myself, neither do I have the time, continuously putting in the hours required to do it year in and year out.

If you don't have the time to commit to at least 15hrs + a week for training and the proper equipment then you're going to battle and not enjoy the day.

Bodhi

Sep 20, 2013, 6:45 PM

On the bucket list.

It will be done. Oh yes, it will be done.

(Just have to lose about 20kg's first)

CAAD4

Sep 20, 2013, 7:47 PM

30kg and a fear of Speedo's and soccer socks...

MrFine

Sep 21, 2013, 6:56 AM

No, not overrated at all. A brilliant race but one you need to prepare for properly. I just don't see myself, neither do I have the time, continuously putting in the hours required to do it year in and year out.

If you don't have the time to commit to at least 15hrs + a week for training and the proper equipment then you're going to battle and not enjoy the day.

Thanks for clearing that up.Lots of hard work and commitment needed
madvics

Sep 21, 2013, 12:22 PM

Are you allowed to swim with a life jacket and baggy shorts????????

blacksmith

Sep 23, 2013, 6:24 AM

Are you allowed to swim with a life jacket and baggy shorts

Sure thing.

Life jacket = wetsuit,

baggy shorts = whatever you can fit under the wetsuit.

Spinsei

Sep 25, 2013, 8:07 AM

Inspiring dude.

I'd love to say I'm a triathlete... but while I might float like a butterfly... I swim like a brick... glug... glug... glug...

StevieL

Sep 25, 2013, 8:10 AM

Time to train.

I have 2 awesome daughters and a wife that I like to spend weekends with...

Can't justify spending every weekend out on the road and/or in the pool training for a whole year.

dracs

Oct 9, 2013, 7:09 AM

the swimming for sure. the swim leg even prevents me from doing a standard tri ...I can swim fine, but have a "phobia' of going deep out where i have no accessible access to something to stand on or hold onto....result of a pool incident when i was a laaitjie

need to get over it one day.....and they are running out

I stumbled accross something the other day that you would in all likely never need but could help with your phobia. will see if I can find.

Add a comment

You must log in to comment