Events

Triathlon news: Victory for Murray in France

· By Matt · 7 comments

Richard Murray won the past weekend’s French Grand Prix Sprint Triathlon in Les Sables d’Olonne, France. It was his first French Grand Prix win.

richardmurray2.jpg

Spain’s Javier Gomez finished second followed by Aurélien Lebrun.

The conditions were quite challenging with some rain falling and newly painted white lines. “I’m really glad I didn’t crash. I did feel my rear tire slip out on more than one occasion,” said Murray. “The swim was very cold and the bike leg very slippery. It was a contest of the skilled and those who survived.”

Coming out of the swim leg Murray dropped his swimming cap and goggels on entry to transition and he had to turn around to avoid a time penalty. “I was just 28 seconds behind Javier out the water but with the wet conditions we only caught the lead group in the second transition heading out for the run. The run suited me perfectly. Half of it was off-road which I loved. The race reminded me a bit of Hamburg last year…Javi and me running 5km at our max speeds. We maxed out, but the pain was worth it. I pushed really hard to get away from Javi.”

Murray is heading to Barcelona next where he will be based for the next few weeks. His next race is an ITU World Triathlon Series event on 6 July in Kitzbuhl.

Comments

SwissVan

Jun 11, 2013, 7:21 AM

This Richard guy sure can run, his last WC event went from +/- 32 off the bike to 6th at the finish. Only a matter time till his swim times improve and he will be a regular top 5 WC finisher.

ADe

Jun 11, 2013, 7:36 AM

This Richard guy sure can run, his last WC event went from +/- 32 off the bike to 6th at the finish. Only a matter time till his swim times improve and he will be a regular top 5 WC finisher.

His run is probably in the top 3-4. I think I saw he ran a 28 min 10k in a previous ITU event. He just needs to get his swim on par.

Azonic

Jun 11, 2013, 7:53 AM

Doesn't sound like the Brownlee brothers were there...

SwissVan

Jun 11, 2013, 8:38 AM

Doesn't sound like the Brownlee brothers were there...

Probably not.... or maybe they saw their ass in the wet conditions

Oh wait...theyre from mud island so probably can handle the wet conditions

Oh wait (2) Wiggins is also from mud island

Scrap that theory

Your right they probably were not there

:D

Snytjie

Jun 11, 2013, 9:46 AM

I watched the Madrid race the other night. Murray was 54s behind the leaders (incl Brownlee and Gomez) after the swim, and 1:04 after the bike while in 14th place. During the run he then jumped 8 places to finish 6th. He still ran 40s or so slower than Brownlee but it was probably after he realised he is not going to make the podium. The effort to catch up on the bike must make the difference between him and the podium finishers.

reteid

Jun 11, 2013, 11:34 AM

so lekker to hear good news.my only gripe is that this got less coverage than eg brackenfell vs bellville rugby match.but i like .

Red Zone

Jun 12, 2013, 1:05 PM

I think Brownlees have been struggling with injuries this year, Murray is a class act, his speed off the bike is insane

Add a comment

You must log in to comment