Events

Tyrone Johns in Switzerland to take part in a UCI Level 3 BMX Coaching Diploma

· By Press Office · 0 comments

KwaZulu-Natal Cycling’s Development Officer Tyrone Johns is at the UCI World Cycling Centre in Switzerland to take part in a UCI Level 3 BMX Coaching Diploma Course. This is the highest qualification that can be achieved from the UCI as a BMX coach.

Johns, who constantly looks out on the UCI website for chances to better his BMX coaching skills, saw the opportunity to apply for the course, into which he was accepted.

“Funding in order to go and do it was the next thing,” said Johns. “I had heard that Olympic Solidarity pay for the developing countries to have coaches and athletes further their skills and techniques, so I applied,” he added.

ccs-62657-0-69447900-1475761027.jpgKwaZulu-Natal Cycling’s Development Officer Tyrone Johns is at the UCI World Cycling Centre in Switzerland to take part in a UCI Level 3 BMX Coaching Diploma Course. Photo: Supplied

Johns explained the detailed processes of approval, through Cycling South Africa, SASCOC, and Olympic Solidarity International. Johns was awarded a 100% scholarship to the programme.

“I’m very honoured that I am able to do this. The promise is that I give back to my country, my kids, and the whole BMX community,” he said.

Whilst in Switzerland, Johns also hopes to seek out the possibility of running courses and lectures when back home. “Instead of sending people from the UCI to South Africa, I’m going to see what I need to do in order to become that UCI person,” he said.

Earlier this year, Johns was selected and awarded a contract to work in South Korea for a month and a half. “They had the funding, the kids, but no idea what to do. I didn’t need to coach, however, I needed to provide the programme that could assist them in order to put in place the procedures that I have already established here in KZN. It was excellent, the people there are great, and I had such a good time and learnt a lot,” he said.

For Johns, his selection was based on his work with the success of his development programme in KwaZulu-Natal.

After achieving his Diploma, Johns will then be recognised as the highest qualified BMX Coach in South Africa. “I can’t wait to give back to the community,” he added.

Tags: ,

Comments

There are no comments yet. Why not add yours below.

Add a comment

You must log in to comment