Events

Urban MTB race hits Joburg

· By Press Office · 28 comments

Create an epic 52km & 22km urban mountain bike ride through the heart of the largest man-made urban forest in the world! CHALLENGE ACCEPTED!

We are proud to announce the first ever Urban Mountain Bike Assault, taking place on the 12th October 2014 in Johannesburg. Partnering with City Parks and Joburg Zoo, the Urban Mountain Bike Assault has created a route that turns Johannesburg into the ultimate mountain biker’s playground.

The Urban Mountain Bike Assault gives you an all access pass to Joburg’s best green belts, with a custom-built course worth over R 1,5 Million.

The adventure starts at Marks Park in Emmarentia, riders then set off on a cruise over Emmarentia dam using a specially created floating bridge, they will then show off some real balls while riding through one of Joburg’s most beautiful golf courses and getting wheels wet through miniature rapids. Rolling through storm water drains and venturing into the heart of darkness through a network of tunnels, one nearly a kilometre in length! Under highway bridges and flying over main roads with custom built scaffolding bridges and ramping into vast expanses you never knew existed this course will really show you what Johannesburg has to offer!

That being said every jungle comes with a little danger, so the Urban Mountain Bike Assault has spared no expense to keep you safe! Rescue divers at the 120m long, deep-water crossing to retrieve you and your bike should you decide to take a proudly South African swim with the ducks! There will be around 112 security guards en route and they have also made sure that you can breathe easy and find your way around the tunnels with 3 air quality control marshals, 20 ventilation fans, mine tunnel lighting systems and 6 generators! (Unless of course you happen to spot a Zombie)

Route Options

52km Route

A moderate but exciting route with only 3 climbs. This route is suitable for all levels of riders – Bring on the Titans, Legends, Warriors and Queens!

22km Route

This shortened route with a little less uphill is suitable for teens, ladies and first time riders.

1km Route

Fun and easy route through Marks Park for the kiddies.

There are incredible prizes to the total value of R370 000 up for grabs for the serious racers, schools and even riders armed with GoPros! The Urban Mountain Bike Assault is a race for all levels of riders, and we challenge both the pros and weekend warriors to bring it on! Not in it to win it? Don’t worry, there is also some serious fun going on in the jungle!

Entries opened on the 12 July 2014, to enter visit www.MTBassault.co.za or www.cycleevents.co.za. Entry fees are R220 for the 22km and R350 for the 52km. We challenge you to enter NOW….

Comments

Firozfx

Jul 17, 2014, 4:04 PM

Cool

(Deon)

Jul 17, 2014, 4:06 PM

Huh, did I just read, "singletrack will be converted into jeeptrack" ??? I feel a facepalm coming on!

Captain Fastbastard Mayhem

Jul 17, 2014, 4:37 PM

You did.... fail.

The MTBer

Jul 17, 2014, 5:34 PM

Wel I am there!

Pieter1

Jul 17, 2014, 5:53 PM

Huh, did I just read, "singletrack will be converted into jeeptrack" ??? I feel a facepalm coming on!

NO!!!!!!!! I missed that! Sounded cool.
Pulse

Jul 17, 2014, 6:09 PM

Cool! Will be something different. Hopefully not too crowded...

Skubarra

Jul 17, 2014, 6:16 PM

This is an insult to MY sport!!

Capricorn

Jul 17, 2014, 6:22 PM

hahahha touché

KENDA

Jul 17, 2014, 6:28 PM

Sounds like it might be fun! The entries a bit steep though .

Pieter1

Jul 17, 2014, 6:29 PM

Can you make beer while eating pancakes?
Peach.

Jul 17, 2014, 7:52 PM

I'm there, something different.

Sounds like fun

Skylark

Jul 17, 2014, 10:27 PM

Good idea, probably be super interesting and fun, access to spots you could never normally ride.

Wonder how much it will be?

jugheaddave

Jul 18, 2014, 4:34 AM

This sound so amazing!!! I would love to take part!!

LongDonkey

Jul 18, 2014, 4:54 AM

So MTB goes Parkour? Do we have to do spinning aerial manoeuvers while keeping our posture and balance perfect as well? :eek:

Just checked, i am safe. Doing the Shova that day. No need to steal golf balls from Parkview....

FondTF2

Jul 18, 2014, 5:08 AM

Just got to watch out for flying golf balls through what I presume is the Parkview GC sluit.

FondTF2

Jul 18, 2014, 5:19 AM

Pray the weather gods play there part..... could be interesting if it pees with rain the day before...

DJF1

Jul 19, 2014, 8:47 AM

Entry a little steep but obviously a % of the proceeds go towards the upkeep and development of urban cycling?

flash98

Jul 20, 2014, 2:03 PM

entrymight be slightly steep but for us racing the prize money is great

Waynehans

Jul 21, 2014, 8:09 AM

Entered!

fanievb

Jul 25, 2014, 7:55 AM

sound cool, but JHB stormwater drains??

can anyone say tetanus shot

Tumbleweed

Jul 25, 2014, 8:12 AM

The short distance is for "...ladies..."?

DieVlieg

Jul 25, 2014, 8:30 AM

The short distance is for "...ladies..."?

They refered to them as Queens

MTBc

Sep 8, 2014, 6:47 PM

Queens on the 52. Ladies and teens on the 22

Add a comment

You must log in to comment