Events

USN terminates association with David George with immediate effect

· By Matt · 30 comments

Following the announcement yesterday by the South African Institute for Drug-free Sport that Nedbank 360Life’s David George has tested positive for the banned substance, EPO and George’s subsequent admission of guilt, USN has, with immediate effect, terminated its association with the professional cyclist.

USN has a zero tolerance policy on doping in sport. Such is USN’s commitment to this as a responsible sports supplement brand, that it only supplies its elite and professional ambassadors with product that has been certified as being free of prohibited substances on the World Anti-doping Association (WADA) list by HFL Sport Science in the United Kingdom.

“USN has invested a great deal of effort and funding in this screening process, which is logistically challenging and costly, but is currently the most comprehensive risk management process available to ensure sports supplements are safe for use by professional sportsmen and women,” said Albe Geldenhuys, USN founder and CEO.

USN was the first South African sports supplement brand – and is still one of just a handful of brands – that adheres to this procedure, which screens against banned substances on the WADA list and which ensures an auditable chain of custody is kept from the point of manufacture to the end user.

HFL Sport Science is an internationally recognised and accredited laboratory providing high quality testing for athlete healthcare and nutritional supplements. Their aim is to give athletes, coaches, and national federations confidence in supplement manufacturers and suppliers, and to provide analytical services relating to biomarkers of fitness and nutritional health.

HFL’s Informed Sport Programme is recommended as a process for teams and athletes by certain International Sporting Federations and UKAD (United Kingdom Anti-Doping) and uses internationally recognised standards in their testing processes.

Comments

Lucky Luke.

Nov 7, 2012, 8:05 AM

Another knee to the groin for USN Vo2Max tablets

JarradVZ

Nov 7, 2012, 8:15 AM

Their elite and professional ambassadors receive a different product to the products offered on shelf. Only 2 shelf products are registered with the HFL. Does anyone else have a problem with this?

jcza

Nov 7, 2012, 8:19 AM

Another knee to the groin for USN Vo2Max tablets

Utter waste of money

Lucky Luke.

Nov 7, 2012, 8:22 AM

Utter waste of money

DG obviously thought so, and his were free

JarradVZ

Nov 7, 2012, 8:22 AM

But good on them for cutting ties.

rouxtjie

Nov 7, 2012, 8:25 AM

Their elite and professional ambassadors receive a different product to the products offered on shelf. Only 2 shelf products are registered with the HFL. Does anyone else have a problem with this?

You mean to tell me...if I buy a tub of recovermax it would be different to the one burry gets? Different in what way?

Slowbee

Nov 7, 2012, 8:26 AM

eek.gif

JarradVZ

Nov 7, 2012, 8:29 AM

You mean to tell me...if I buy a tub of recovermax it would be different to the one burry gets? Different in what way?

Not really. The products are the same as far as I know but the specific batches destined for pro athletes are screened properly for contaminants (those pesky doping scandals were getting out of hand). Only 2 shelf products have been registered for the same screening, some sort of protein shake and 1 other.

rouxtjie

Nov 7, 2012, 8:38 AM

Not really. The products are the same as far as I know but the specific batches destined for pro athletes are screened properly for contaminants (those pesky doping scandals were getting out of hand). Only 2 shelf products have been registered for the same screening, some sort of protein shake and 1 other.

Ta thanks....just out of interest does america have firmer regulations...Let's take hammer as an example

JarradVZ

Nov 7, 2012, 8:41 AM

Ta thanks....just out of interest does america have firmer regulations...Let's take hammer as an example

America actually has slacker regulations! Haven't looked much at Hammer, will browse their site and see what sort of stuff they offer.

Azonic

Nov 7, 2012, 9:11 AM

If only the guy on the street can terminate their dependance on supplements all together.

'Dale

Nov 7, 2012, 9:50 AM

eek.gif

'Dale

Nov 7, 2012, 9:51 AM

America actually has slacker regulations! Haven't looked much at Hammer, will browse their site and see what sort of stuff they offer.

TH,

I just switched to Hammer Perpeteum.

Tub still sealed.

Really looking forward to your feedback.

thumbup1.gif

rouxtjie

Nov 7, 2012, 9:54 AM

TH,

I just switched to Hammer Perpeteum.

Tub still sealed.

Really looking forward to your feedback.

thumbup1.gif

I have always used perpetuam...and can't fault the product. For recovery I use recovermax and also there...can't fault the product, did the job when it was supposed to.

pmswanepoel

Nov 7, 2012, 9:56 AM

If only the guy on the street can terminate their dependance on supplements all together.

I dont use supplements... I do OK. If you eat and rest well there should be no need. Try it, for real.

'Dale

Nov 7, 2012, 10:04 AM

I have always used perpetuam...and can't fault the product. For recovery I use recovermax and also there...can't fault the product, did the job when it was supposed to.

Thanx, rouxtjie.

Looking forward to Tim Henman's view as well. He has some good technical knowledge about the industry.

Mongoose!

Nov 7, 2012, 10:06 AM

I believe Mr. George must have some cool cycling stuff…

Also believe he will quit cycling after this …

Will it be bad taste to contact him for some bargains …

Hahaha – He must have some road stuff aswell…anybody know if he has 303 firecrest ‘s

His cell number.. ph34r.png

Unknown MTBR

Nov 7, 2012, 10:11 AM

I believe Mr. George must have some cool cycling stuff…

Also believe he will quit cycling after this …

Will it be bad taste to contact him for some bargains …

Hahaha – He must have some road stuff aswell…anybody know if he has 303 firecrest ‘s

His cell number.. ph34r.png

bwaahahaha! ill take his Scott Foil :D

Red Zone

Nov 7, 2012, 10:13 AM

I dont use supplements... I do OK. If you eat and rest well there should be no need. Try it, for real.

Not everyone is happy with just OK

JarradVZ

Nov 7, 2012, 1:11 PM

So, at a quick glance Hammer looks pretty good.

They seem to put a decent emphasis on science and educating the consumer: http://www.hammernutrition.com/knowledge/

They don't offer weight loss or pro-hormone products as far as I can see.

They are focused on endurance athletes and cyclists in particular (as opposed to bodybuilder and weight-loss "athletes").

They are anti simple sugars which seems to be the way to go (for general health anyway).

They seem to be serious about quality control and contamination prevention http://www.hammernutrition.com/knowledge/quality-control-hammer-nutrition-supplements.15178.html?sect=advanced-knowledge-section

http://www.hammernutrition.com/knowledge/are-your-products-strong-lab-tested-strong-for-quality-and-purity.13053.html?sect=frequently-asked-questions-section

That being said, not every batch is tested for contamination so that risk may still remain.

The stuff is expensive and won't turn you into a world-beater.

They are also prone to over-exaggerated claims (endemic to the industry it seems):

Example:

XOBALINE

INCREASE YOUR AEROBIC CAPACITY

$9.95 (3+ for $7.95)

• Increase oxygen utilization.
  • Reduce fatigue.
  • Enhance muscle repair & regeneration.
  • Support cardiovascular health.
  • Gluten-Free and Vegan Friendly.

This is a B12 and Folate supplement, nothing more. These benefits could only be expected in someone who was deficient in either nutrient (most of us aren't).

fandacious

Nov 7, 2012, 1:12 PM

Not everyone is happy with just OK

like david george?

rouxtjie

Nov 7, 2012, 1:24 PM

So, at a quick glance Hammer looks pretty good.

They seem to put a decent emphasis on science and educating the consumer: http://www.hammernut....com/knowledge/

They don't offer weight loss or pro-hormone products as far as I can see.

They are focused on endurance athletes and cyclists in particular (as opposed to bodybuilder and weight-loss "athletes").

They are anti simple sugars which seems to be the way to go (for general health anyway).

They seem to be serious about quality control and contamination prevention http://www.hammernut...owledge-section

http://www.hammernut...estions-section

That being said, not every batch is tested for contamination so that risk may still remain.

The stuff is expensive and won't turn you into a world-beater.

They are also prone to over-exaggerated claims (endemic to the industry it seems):

Example:

XOBALINE

INCREASE YOUR AEROBIC CAPACITY

$9.95 (3+ for $7.95)

• Increase oxygen utilization.
  • Reduce fatigue.
  • Enhance muscle repair & regeneration.
  • Support cardiovascular health.
  • Gluten-Free and Vegan Friendly.

This is a B12 and Folate supplement, nothing more. These benefits could only be expected in someone who was deficient in either nutrient (most of us aren't).

Ta appreciated

Wayne Potgieter

Nov 7, 2012, 1:46 PM

Whatever happened to just trying your hardest and being your best....whatever that may be.

If its A Group or weekend warrior....

Guest Guest

Nov 9, 2012, 9:02 AM

I agree with the supplement free sports approach. Too many people on these supplements who don't need it at all. Another aspect not taken into account is the impact these supplements have on your liver, kidneys, heart and the natural chemical balance in the body. Placebo effect more powerful than the actual pharmaceutical effect in most cases. If you want to see a guy do extra ordinary thing on nothing else than food and a multivitamin check out: David Grier. He has to name a few: Ran the great wall of Chine, Ran through India north to south, Same with UK, Ran east to west across Madagascar, ran around the SA coast line from Namibia to Mozambique.

Not that I'm G I Joe, Chuck Norris or any other hard core guy, but most people today have become big time softies....

Add a comment

You must log in to comment