Events

Video: Grant Lottering Im’possible Tour 2014

· By Nick · 19 comments

Inspirational documentary of Grant Lottering’s miraculous survival and recovery. The video documents his crash, recovery and return to the Leggendaria Charly Gaul in Trento, the race that almost killed him one year earlier. Grant’s crash in the Italian Alps cause extensive injuries including collapsed lungs, 12 rib fractures, fractures of the spine, right femur, clavicle, multiple fractures of his scapula, a fractured sternum, extensive internal bleeding to his abdomen and spleen and ruptured veins in his neck and arm.

Every year I intend undertaking a “Im’possibleTour”, pushing myself to the limit, and beyond. Celebrating life and helping others. Im’possible Tour II 2015 will take my second chance at life beyond the limit, and into the unknown, whilst raising funds for underprivileged children.
Grant Lottering

For more information visit http://im-possibletour.com/ and follow Grant Lottering on Twitter.

Comments

NixM

Nov 10, 2014, 12:16 PM

Respect

Slowbee

Nov 10, 2014, 1:11 PM

that convulsing, is damn freaky and horrible !

quintonb

Nov 10, 2014, 1:14 PM

Massive respect. 

Nov 10, 2014, 1:28 PM

Most encouraging. Thank you for posting this.

bobby

Nov 10, 2014, 4:05 PM

WOW !!!

B20

Nov 10, 2014, 5:31 PM

Lots of Respect !!!!!!

DTM

Nov 10, 2014, 5:39 PM

Inspirational!

Gandalf

Nov 10, 2014, 5:47 PM

This is amazing! Huge respect to Grant! 

UpShift_Cycles

Nov 10, 2014, 6:16 PM

Fantastic guy Grant is. Totally inspired by you buddy

lesego.2

Nov 11, 2014, 2:15 AM

Inspiring

Clinton H

Nov 11, 2014, 6:02 AM

What a story to tell , amazing .

GreatGusto

Nov 11, 2014, 6:19 AM

Wow. Just wow.

RABUBI

Nov 11, 2014, 7:02 AM

Nice guy, I used to race on the same vets team as him for a few years.. bliksem...

NINER_boy

Nov 12, 2014, 6:28 AM

Very moving story.

Guts and glory!!!

RABUBI

Nov 12, 2014, 7:20 AM

Remember in a race we were going down hekpoort, and Grant was sitting next to me, and we were doing about 65km/h.

Next moment he was gone.

He struck a cateye and went down head first, that is one of the worst sounds when carbon and steel hit tar...

Thought he was a goner that day.

Erroli8a8

Nov 12, 2014, 9:28 AM

WOW,

DIPSLICK

Nov 12, 2014, 4:46 PM

One or two truck loads of cement there,

domane

Feb 6, 2015, 4:57 PM

Wow!

Tumbleweed

Aug 11, 2015, 10:27 AM

Got this in my inbox just now:

Please find below a press release about ex-professional and former national South African cyclist, Grant Lottering’s Im’Possible Tour II which he completed on 4 August 2015. For any further information on Lottering’s Im’Possible Tours, hi-res images, or if you would like to set up an interview with Grant Lottering, please contact me on the contact details at the end of the release. 

Grant Lottering does the Im’possible… twice

South African survivor, speaker and ultra-endurance cyclist, Grant Lottering, recently became the first South African to complete a solo, non-stop, ultra-endurance cycle through the French Alps in under 24 hours. He finished his epic journey, after cycling 418km in only 19hrs31min through the night, climbing a total 9 864m, finishing at Les Saisies Ski Resort on Tuesday, 4 August 2015.

This was Lottering’s second Im’Possible Tour over the Alps, aptly titled, ‘Taking a Second Chance at Life to the Limit and Beyond’.

In 2013, Lottering was told that he would never cycle again after suffering a near-fatal accident, but this has only encouraged him to push himself further. “Most people would consider riding 414km over 10 alpine mountains non-stop, solo, and within 24 hours, crazy, if not impossible,” says Lottering, “but the Im’possible Tour II 2015 was about living life without limits.”

Lottering’s inspiring story began on 21 July 2013 during a 140km world championship preparation race in Trento, Italy, when he entered a wet corner at over 60km/h and crashed straight into a rock embankment. His heart stopped beating and he was unconsciousness by the time the medical team arrived.

The cyclist was airlifted to hospital, where medics discovered the extent of his injuries: Collapsed lungs and thorax, 12 rib fractures, compound fractures of his lumber and cervical spine, two fractures of his right femur, multiple fractures of his scapula and clavicle, a crushed shoulder, a fractured sternum, extensive internal bleeding to his abdomen and spleen, ruptured arteries in his neck and right arm, acute respiratory failure… the list goes on. He spent four months recovering in South Africa, undergoing no less than six surgeries and 83 rehabilitation sessions.

Lottering was lucky to be alive, but he promised himself that he would be back in one year to finish the race he had started. He rode the first Im’possible Tour in July 2014, titled, 'From Death to the Top of the Alps in One Year,’ defying his doctor’s prognosis, accomplishing the “impossible”, and raising over R150 000 for the Laureus Sport for Good Foundation.

The Laureus Sport for Good Foundation is an organisation that educates less privileged youngsters using the power of sport. “Nothing Grant does surprises me, but his latest challenge is certainly something exceptional,” says Morné du Plessis, Laureus South Africa Chairman. “On behalf of Laureus, I would like to thank Grant for his splendid effort in doing his bit to change the lives of countless young people through his Im’possible Tour fundraising efforts.” Lottering has raised R102 000 to date through his Im’possible Tour II 2015 and he hopes to reach his target of R418 000 by the end of 2015.

With his ‘can-do’ attitude, Lottering is certainly an inspiration to many. “Miraculously surviving a near-fatal accident is no reason to lower the bar of my capabilities both physically and mentally,” he says.

Indeed, the second Im’possible Tour challenged Lottering in every way. “Not only did he ride with two steel pins in his right femur and a fractured clavicle, but he had to face extreme dangers throughout the 24 hours,” comments his brother and member of the support crew, Glen Lottering.

“I had to maintain my rhythm, pace and momentum. Challenges included descending off the mountains in the dark, staying alert for almost 24 hours while plagued with mental and physical fatigue, and maintaining the correct nutritional intake while climbing close to 9 500m,” says Lottering.

But, in the end, he knows it was all worth it: “I did this because since I died on 21 July 2013 and miraculously survived, I live my life without limits. To believe we can accomplish levels of success considered to be impossible, we have to believe we are possible. We have to have that inner conviction and protect it at all costs from doubt, negativity and limits set by others' opinions. We have to look to tomorrow, set goals, plan and focus on accomplishing that goal.”

ENDS

Note to Editors:

About Grant Lottering

As a motivational speaker, Grant Lottering shares his inspirational journey with audiences across the globe, challenging them to reach beyond their limits and accomplish what they never thought possible. Grateful to have escaped death and paralysis, Grant rides annual Im’possible Tours, raising funds to educate less privileged youngsters through the Laureus Sport for Good Foundation. To learn more about Grant Lottering and his Im’Possible Tours please visit www.im-possibletour.com or follow Grant Lottering on Facebook via www.facebook.com/grant.lottering.21713 or Twitter at www.twitter.com/@MGLottering.

Fundraising and Support

Grant Lottering aims to raise R1 000 per kilometre with the Im’possible Tour II 2015 from corporates and individuals: https://www.backabuddy.co.za/champions/project/impossibletour-august-2015.

100% of all funds raised through the Im’possible Tour ll 2015 will go to The Laureus ‘YES Programme’ which educates young leaders identified through the programmes supported by the The Laureus Sport for Good Foundation. Laureus (Reg. nr IT2573/2002) is a registered Public Benefit Organisation and carries section 18(A) tax exemption status.

Add a comment

You must log in to comment