Events

Video: Loop Of Doom – Matt Macduff

· By Press Office · 15 comments

On Saturday March 19th, Matt Macduff sustained a terrible fall attempting to make his way around the Loop Of Doom. After 3 years of research, determination and hard work, Matt managed to find everything he needed to make his project happen.

Built in a month at the Garden Route Trail Park in South Africa, the gigantic structure rises up to 40 ft into the sky. The crash left Matt with 10 fractures in his right wrist and 3 fractures in his right ankle. The story behind his stunt is as impactful as the structure itself. A real story of determination. After spending a week in a South African hospital, Matt is now home in Ontario, working on his rehabilitation. Just as he started to walk again, we caught up with him to get his version of this incredible story.

In previous posts about the Loop of Doom, there was a lot of interrogations from the readers so we did our best to cover all the aspects of the project. Keep on reading to take a journey through the mind of a young man determined to leave an impact on the sport he loves.

Read the Full Story here: http://www.the-rise.com/loopofdoom

Comments

Skylark

Jun 28, 2016, 10:22 AM

Did monster pay for the building of the loop, that's a good R50k or few?

Poor dude after all that work gets bone mashed on the first try. I wonder if they did the maths on rider speeds needed, entry/exit angles etc beforehand?

AdrianDJ

Jun 28, 2016, 10:25 AM

No they just built a loop and hoped for the best. 

Nick

Jun 28, 2016, 10:26 AM

Poor dude after all that work gets bone mashed on the first try. I wonder if they did the maths on rider speeds needed, entry/exit angles etc beforehand?

Monster weren't directly involved in this one.

There's a bit more on the fundraising and design here.

Ghost Rider X

Jun 28, 2016, 10:36 AM

a lot of people will get hurt with this madness

Skylark

Jun 28, 2016, 10:50 AM

No they just built a loop and hoped for the best.

From what I have seen even the guys that have experience with riding loops know they will take a good few tries till they make it, ie the chance of you making it first time is just about zero, normally they make a huge foam pit or blow up landing cushion on the exit side. Matt goes sans everything bar a helmet and zero foam pit, the results sadly speak for themselves, fearless dude though!
AdrianDJ

Jun 28, 2016, 10:57 AM

From what I have seen even the guys that have experience with riding loops know they will take a good few tries till they make it, ie the chance of you making it first time is just about zero, normally they make a huge foam pit or blow up landing cushion on the exit side. Matt goes sans everything bar a helmet and zero foam pit, the results sadly speak for themselves, fearless dude though!

haha. i was being serious i promise... (Jokes it was sarcasm) True he should probably have used a foam pit on either side, but i am sure they would have done the math, but math doesn't help when you get the line wrong or disorientated. 

Headshot

Jun 28, 2016, 11:11 AM

Can't wait for his second attempt - with a parachute, perhaps...

Pure Savage

Jun 28, 2016, 11:14 AM

Strange nobody else stepped up to do it :P

They should just divert one of the normal trails through there and see if some random can stick it. ER24 paramedics can sponsor it.

Shebeen

Jun 28, 2016, 11:22 AM

more than that!!!

pretty awesome funding campaign

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/773744110/raise-the-loop

banna

Jun 28, 2016, 11:29 AM

Sheesh, he's going to have nightmares about this one for a very long time. Sure he won't try something like this again without the appropriate safety measures.

Hope he heals up soon.

Skylark

Jun 28, 2016, 12:34 PM

haha. i was being serious i promise... (Jokes it was sarcasm) True he should probably have used a foam pit on either side, but i am sure they would have done the math, but math doesn't help when you get the line wrong or disorientated. 

Hehe considering how poorly executed his first and only run was and the consequences thereof I believed you. If you know you will slam from 4 stories up guaranteed and you take no precautions then you either really want to die or perhaps must be thick as 2 bricks. Macduff of all people should know better than to throw caution to the wind on the really massive technical stuff?

arendoog

Jun 30, 2016, 7:18 AM

research !!!!!!.There must be a reason nobody else could get it right .Monster only sponsors his XL jock strap 

Mohs

Jul 15, 2016, 7:18 PM

What an annoying Idiot.

NicoBoshoff

Jul 15, 2016, 7:31 PM

I remember reading somewhere that the loop was too small resulting in insane g-forces, making steering impossible. So he was stuck on his entry line and pretty much spat out without a hope in hell.

Magnetic

Jul 16, 2016, 6:54 PM

Ive got a feeling this is a publicity stunt... He will be back and will make it. Doesnt look that injured. And why would you post yourself failing that bad in the first place... But hey, thats my two cents

Add a comment

You must log in to comment