Events

Video of the Week – How to be a mountain biker

· By BikeHubCoreAdmin · 63 comments

I don’t think any of us need to be told how to mountain bike. But maybe you’ve been missing something. Do you fit the criteria and conform to all the necessities?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPVRU7jSYkQ

There isn’t just one kind of mountain biker out there, obviously. What does your clothing say about your riding style? Does nature and tree hugging form a part of your everyday? And how is your relationship fairing?

Tags: ,

Comments

(Deon)

Oct 24, 2013, 6:25 AM

I can tell you now without watching that the last 3 steps are probably not needed. :ph34r:

26 steps has done the job for so long, why complicate matters?

King_Crispy

Oct 24, 2013, 6:27 AM

Lmao.

Looks like the spruit on a Saturday morning

Super_mil

Oct 24, 2013, 6:31 AM

That is pretty much spot on!

Unknown MTBR

Oct 24, 2013, 6:34 AM

seems legit..

Smartie

Oct 24, 2013, 6:53 AM

I am so jealous - need to get a MTB now!

Audible Anarchy

Oct 24, 2013, 7:01 AM

"pick your favourite wheelsize, then be a dick about it" - awesome haha

Corvus

Oct 24, 2013, 7:04 AM

I think things are a little different in South Africa.

There's no "know what sort of mountainbiker you are".

In South Africa you're simply an XC rider. Period!

If you ask a bike shop about flat pedals or 26 inch rims or wide riser bars, your request will be met with the same suspicion that Aussie customs officials have for sweaty, fidgety individuals with dilated pupils.

In South Africa, ALL MOUNTAIN BIKE is meaningless term. It'll be interpreted as a versatile lightweight 29er which can be used for all mountain bike events such as the Cape Epic, Hill to Hill, Wine2Whales, Joberg2C, 94.7.

The abbreviation AM will result in, "So you want an AM bike? Erm...this Scott Scale can be ridden morning, afternoon, evening. Anytime you like. AM, PM you name it!"

If you ask for tyres you will be sold either race kings or crossmarks. If you ask for grippy tires you'll get mountain kings or monorails.

If you ask for knee- and elbow pads you'll be referred to Boogaloos after your LBS enquired whether your kid does BMX.

Lefty V

Oct 24, 2013, 7:11 AM

If you ask a bike shop about flat pedals or 26 inch rims or wide riser bars, your request will be met with the same suspicion that Aussie customs officials have for sweaty, fidgety individuals with dilated pupils.

In South Africa, ALL MOUNTAIN BIKE is meaningless term. It'll be interpreted as a versatile lightweight 29er which can be used for all mountain bike events such as the Cape Epic, Hill to Hill, Wine2Whales, Joberg2C, 94.7.

If you ask for tyres you will be sold either race kings or crossmarks. If you ask for grippy tires you'll get mountain kings or monorails.

If you ask for knee- and elbow pads you'll be referred to Boogaloos after your LBS enquired whether your kid does BMX.

Chip on shoulder?

Eddy Gordo

Oct 24, 2013, 7:12 AM

Dont you think that this is due to the consumer being so "gullible"(maybe not the right word) in believing what he/she should be riding as apposed to riding what he/she wants. I mean, lots of LBS out there try to sell you somthing other than what you ask for. If we had the choices then I think one would see a different type of market.

rouxtjie

Oct 24, 2013, 7:13 AM

Jassas, you have knee pads....you must be moer strong

ScottCM

Oct 24, 2013, 7:17 AM

Brilliant, absolutely brilliant

Corvus

Oct 24, 2013, 7:18 AM

Chip on shoulder?

...and if you make mention of it, it is assumed that you have a chip on your shoulder.

No, mate, I really don't have a chip on my shoulder. I'm simply pointing out what I've perceived with a healthy dose of embellishment. I admire XC riders, they're way faster and fitter than me, but the type of riding is not for me.

SwissVan

Oct 24, 2013, 7:18 AM

I think things are a little different in GAUTENG.

The abbreviation AM will result in, "So you want an AM bike? Erm...this Scott Scale can be ridden morning, afternoon, evening. Anytime you like. AM, PM you name it!"

Fixed

Good point, allthough it might be a little different as you get closer to sea level

Corvus

Oct 24, 2013, 7:19 AM

Dont you think that this is due to the consumer being so "gullible"(maybe not the right word) in believing what he/she should be riding as apposed to riding what he/she wants. I mean, lots of LBS out there try to sell you somthing other than what you ask for. If we had the choices then I think one would see a different type of market.

Perhaps. But then again, with such limited options, people don't actually realise the choices even exist.

I'm really glad that Wendell at Thaba is doing a lot to grow different disciplines of the sport.

Corvus

Oct 24, 2013, 7:28 AM

Fixed

Good point, allthough it might be a little different as you get closer to sea level

I stand corrected.

Corvus

Oct 24, 2013, 7:31 AM

Jassas, you have knee pads....you must be moer strong

Yes, this is the general impression and it's unfortunate, because whenever a person wears them it is assumed that they're "hard core", "moer strong" etc. I wear them primarily because I have bad knees.

Funny how added protection is seen as a sign of strength or ability.

rouxtjie

Oct 24, 2013, 7:37 AM

Yes, this is the general impression and it's unfortunate, because whenever a person wears them it is assumed that they're "hard core", "moer strong" etc. I wear them primarily because I have bad knees.

Funny how added protection is seen as a sign of strength or ability.

Bit confused, are you wearing knee braces then, cause I don't think pads will do anything for gammy knees. As I have it, they are intended to protect you from grazing / falls because of the terrain's inherent rough nature(rocks etc), not sure knee pads will do anything for ligaments and muscle fatigue

DR ◣◢

Oct 24, 2013, 7:47 AM

Bit confused, are you wearing knee braces then, cause I don't think pads will do anything for gammy knees. As I have it, they are intended to protect you from grazing / falls because of the terrain's inherent rough nature(rocks etc), not sure knee pads will do anything for ligaments and muscle fatigue

Depends on the type of pad. I've come off before during a race wearing a hard shell knee pad that protected from ligament damage in a big way.

and... I've come off before in a practice run with a normal soft shell and ended up hurting quite bad.

These days with technology a good pad will have that impact foam that hardens on impact to help protect against this.

Just make sure you wear the correct ones. The basic ones however will protect against losing skin and cutting up the knee like you said.

Corvus

Oct 24, 2013, 7:47 AM

If I take a minor hit on my knees I end up out of action for weeks. Knee pads prevent this from happening which is the difference between me riding after a fall or not.

I'm not sure what the problem is with my knees, I lived with the issue since childhood and I'm fine as long as I don't knock 'em against things.

Corvus

Oct 24, 2013, 7:49 AM

Depends on the type of pad. I've come off before during a race wearing a hard shell knee pad that protected from ligament damage in a big way.

and... I've come off before in a practice run with a normal soft shell and ended up hurting quite bad.

These days with technology a good pad will have that impact foam that hardens on impact to help protect against this.

Just make sure you wear the correct ones. The basic ones however will protect against losing skin and cutting up the knee like you said.

I use Rockgardn Neo's. They've saved me many times.

Kevlar outer bit, with hard shell and thick foam padding on the inside of the cap and sides. I've heard 661's are also good.

http://www.pricepoint.com/_productimages/960x600/536_gdnne0_0.jpg

DR ◣◢

Oct 24, 2013, 7:51 AM

I use Rockgardn Neo's. They've saved me many times.

Kevlar outer bit, with hard shell and thick foam padding on the inside of the cap and sides. I've heard 661's are also good.

I run the Leatt 3DF ones for enduro and general riding. Great fit and good protection. Not that durable though.

Heard good things about all the Rockgardn kit. Will try them next. 661 is also very cool.

rouxtjie

Oct 24, 2013, 7:52 AM

If I take a minor hit on my knees I end up out of action for weeks. Knee pads prevent this from happening which is the difference between me riding after a fall or not.

I'm not sure what the problem is with my knees, I lived with the issue since childhood and I'm fine as long as I don't knock 'em against things.

Ah ok so it is for protection from knocks / falls instead of use...gotcha.

I must admit though, I struggle with the term all mountain biking...all the other disciplines are quite defined. I am being sincere when I say I don't have a cooking clue what / how / where all mountain biking is.

Super_mil

Oct 24, 2013, 7:55 AM

Ah ok so it is for protection from knocks / falls instead of use...gotcha.

I must admit though, I struggle with the term all mountain biking...all the other disciplines are quite defined. I am being sincere when I say I don't have a cooking clue what / how / where all mountain biking is.

To me, it's about being able to cover all terrain that is associated with MTB on a single bike.

rouxtjie

Oct 24, 2013, 7:57 AM

To me, it's about being able to cover all terrain that is associated with MTB on a single bike.

great and simple answer. Is that the general consensus. So its almost like the jack-of-all trades, master of none discipline

Add a comment

You must log in to comment