Events

Video: The Halfbike II

· By Press Office · 14 comments

T​he commercial release of Halfbike II – a new kind of personal vehicle designed with the user’s experience in mind is a complete success. Our Kickstarter campaign reached its funding goal in less than 24 hours with the help of over 250 backers. We are currently on the way to the first stretch goal. If the campaign reaches $250,000 all Halfbikes will be fitted with lights and fenders.

We believe happiness has something to do with playing and having fun. And that includes going out and being active. So, we set out to create a new vehicle to awaken your natural instinct to move. A vehicle that trains your balance and reflexes in a completely new way. One that disconnects you for a moment from your daily routine and allows you to focus solely on your body and the ride itself.

ccs-62657-0-96355400-1428651065.jpeg

We took the core driving mechanism of a classical bicycle (a wheel connected to a crankset) but redesigned pretty much everything else. The result – a vehicle that trains your balance and reflexes in a new way. Not only on a physical level but it also affects the way you perceive movement and enhances your senses. The standing rider position is essential for the Halfbike. It brings you closer to natural walking and it’s the only way to control the vehicle with your whole body and not just your hands. Halfbike is a sort of an extension to the body that allows a smooth and intuitive ride.

ccs-62657-0-26369100-1428651070.jpeg

Riding a Halfbike gives you a different perspective to the city. You can use it for commuting, exercise or recreation. Regardless of how or where you’re going to ride it, the experience is what really counts. The Halfbike will not simply transport you from A to B. It will distract you for a moment from all your day to day worries allowing you to focus solely on your body and the ride itself. A kind of an urban teleport, if you like, that disconnects you for an instant from whatever is on your mind.

ccs-62657-0-31242100-1428651078.jpeg
ccs-62657-0-72215800-1428651081.jpg

Availability

Half bike is available for purchase now on ​Kickstarter. Shipping begins July 2015 on a first-come, first-serve basis. Prices start from $349.00 for the limited edition.

ccs-62657-0-36496800-1428651075.jpg

Comments

BenGraham

Apr 10, 2015, 8:06 AM

This is awesome. Would love to ride one of these.

MTBOnly

Apr 10, 2015, 8:22 AM

Seems interesting and suppose it is nice to play with, but in terms of commuting it does not seem efficient enough. Also I would not want to try and go downhill on the half bike, you would be on your face very quickly, so I guess your options and terrain are very limited.

davem

Apr 10, 2015, 9:23 AM

Ummm... a bike has two wheels...

Naming silliness aside, looks like a lot of fun to ride down your local beach promenade. Use on the road to commute, I don't think so.

I could see people renting these on Durban beachfront.

Rider3000

Apr 10, 2015, 10:01 AM

Think they will work well in europe where people want to travel by "foot" and do sightseeing... in South africa im battling to see this happening.

South africans will probably think your to poor to have a car riding that thing. Anyway i love it and seems to be a fun toy!!! Those guys seems to know their business and i hope they do well!

Disher

Apr 10, 2015, 10:12 AM

halfbike world cup DH event ??? bwhaa haa ha, I think that thing would be a jol.... but how to wheelie it >?? endo mondo..... :)

GreatGusto

Apr 10, 2015, 10:36 AM

If I lived in Manhattan or somewhere like that, then this would make sense.  Could be very, very light, less than 4 kg if make properly.  Reckon the handlebar could collapse as well, so you could carry it onto the tube.  Then your walk to your apartment or office is much quicker.

IH8MUD

Apr 10, 2015, 10:40 AM

Some people might get tired "standing" and pedaling the whole time. . .

waveduke

Apr 10, 2015, 11:25 AM

:ph34r:  Screw Fatbikes - do the Epic on a HalfBike... 

peds

Apr 10, 2015, 12:44 PM

would love to see how it actually climbs! In the video everything is pretty flat.

Hairy

Apr 10, 2015, 12:54 PM

would love to see some emergency braking done riding that thing

SwissVan

Apr 10, 2015, 1:01 PM

I recon... it will be to hard for the average commuter to use "stand up pedaling" and "pumping" is to much like hard work for most people.

Micro Scooters already being used to commute on in cities, much easier to use and more compact.

Good idea for fitness tho...

(Deon)

Apr 10, 2015, 1:12 PM

Can we all agree that they should just start at 650b? May save us a fortune as end users..

Besides, I don't think I could go through another set of wheel size debates again.. :(

Rockrabbit

Oct 28, 2016, 6:30 AM

So cool.

AdamA

Oct 28, 2016, 6:48 AM

:ph34r:  Screw Fatbikes - do the Epic on a HalfBike... 

Halfbike,  Rigid, Single Speed and no saddle!!!! anyone who does the epic on that is hardcore!

Add a comment

You must log in to comment