Events

Weiss, Van Huyssteen crowned XTERRA Nelson Mandela Bay’s very first champions

· By Press Office · 0 comments

Excitement was rife at the mesmerising Kings Beach on Saturday, 30 January 2016 when eager adventure seekers and multi-sport enthusiasts gathered to participate in the action of Nelson Mandela Bay’s very first Fedhealth XTERRA Full race.

The men’s race was dominated by Stellenbosch based XTERRA Warriors Bradley Weiss, Stuart Marais and Theo Blignaut. According to Weiss, he didn’t expect to have to race too hard on the day. “This past week my training was a bit more intense in preparation for XTERRA Philippines. I then heard that Stuart would be racing, which was definitely a curve ball for me. The ocean swim was more technical, with bigger swells than expected. Theo was in the lead, but Stuart and I closed the gap in the second lap fighting for Theo’s feet. Exiting the swim/bike transition, Stuart went out hard. Instead of major climbs the mountain bike discipline featured a few 20 – 30 second kickers. I managed to catch Stuart on one of these and broke away on the single track.”

ccs-62657-0-18254200-1454163253.jpgCarla Van Huyssteen was the lady to beat completing the 1.5km ocean swim, 23km mountain bike discipline and 10.2km trail run in a combined time of 02 hours 21 minutes 42 seconds. Photo Credit: Tobias Ginsberg

“By the time I reached the turnaround point I had approximately 1 minute on Stuart, but he made up time on the flat sections,” continues Weiss. “Entering the bike/run transition I ran down the wrong chute, as a result my lead decreased to 25 seconds going into the run. It was only at the 6 – 7 km mark that I managed to open the gap. I was chuffed running down the beach to the finish, it was beautiful. ” Bradley Weiss completed the 1.5km ocean swim, 23km mountain bike discipline and 10.2km trail run in a combined time of 02 hours 01 minute 50 seconds. Stuart Marais came in second, while Theo Blignaut finished third.

Carla Van Huyssteen took the lead in the women’s race crossing the finish line first in a combined time of 02 hours 21 minutes 42 seconds. According to Van Huyssteen the Fedhealth XTERRA Nelson Mandela Bay course was amazing. “I had a really good race. The route included the perfect combination – the ocean swim was amazing, the mountain bike route was just long enough and the run through Happy Valley had such a nice vibe to it with people cheering for you all the way. I am really happy to have been part of the first XTERRA in Port Elizabeth. This event will definitely go from strength to strength.” Andrea Steyn came in second, while Susan Sloan finished third.

After a gruelling day out on route XTERRA Warriors could regain their strength in the NUUN Recovery Zone. “We were there to put back what the race took out with cold coolers of our proprietary blend of electrolytes in natural, delicious flavours – all without any sugars,” says Etienne du Plessis, CEO of NUUN.

Another special feature in the NUUN Recovery Zone was the serving of the proudly South African ButtaNutt series of authentic tree nut spreads.

RESULTS: Fedhealth XTERRA FULL Nelson Mandela Bay
Saturday, 30 January 2016
RESULTS: Open Men
1 Bradley Weiss 02 hours 01 minute 50 seconds,
2 Stuart Marais 02 hours 03 minutes 26 seconds,
3 Theo Blignaut 02 hours 05 minutes 57 seconds
4 Atoine Van Heerden 02 hours 09 minutes 36 seconds,
5 Nico Sterk 02 hours 12 minutes 54 seconds,
6 Charl Stephan Nienaber 02 hours 17 minutes 30 seconds,
7 Aidan Nugent 02 hours 21 minutes 50 seconds,
8 Paul Wolf 02 hours 24 minutes 05 seconds,
9 Jaryd Browne 02 hours 24 minutes 26 seconds,
10 Jason Reed 02 hours 24 minutes 46 seconds
RESULTS: Open Women
1 Carla Van Huyssteen 02 hours 21 minutes 42 seconds,
2 Andrea Steyn 02 hours 27 minutes 33 seconds,
3 Susan Sloan 02 hours 32 minutes 18 seconds,
4 Johandri Leicester 02 hours 43 minutes 19 seconds,
5 Denine Van Heerden 02 hours 44 minutes,
6 Sanmari Woithe 02 hours 46 minutes 43 seconds,
7 Natia Van Heerden 02 hours 47minutes 24 seconds,
8 Robyn Williams 02 hours 51 minutes 02 seconds,
9 Tracey Almirall 02 hours 51 minutes 16 seconds,
10 Olivia Read 02 hours 54 minutes 10 seconds

Comments

There are no comments yet. Why not add yours below.

Add a comment

You must log in to comment