Events

West Coast Express Cancelled!

· By Press Office · 25 comments

The Outriders Cycling Club, organisers of the popular West Coast Express taking place this Sunday, 16 October 2016, have issued a notice cancelling the event.

“It is with huge regret and sadness, we have to announce the cancellation of The West Coast express Funride this Sunday.

Provincial Traffic and their appointed contractors working on the R27 have retracted permission to use the route due to roadworks in the interests of cyclists’ safety.

This late notice comes as a complete surprise and the cancellation was only triggered as a result of the race’s organising committee meeting with the contractors to request assistance in making the road as wide and safe as possible. This discussion about safety and the road use at the event, gave cause for the contractor to initiate cancellation proceedings late on Thursday 13th October.

We cannot apologise enough and assure you every last avenue was looked at, officials called and spoken to, and options considered.

Entrants will be refunded by Racetec directly and any late entries or EFT payments to the Outriders will be refunded by the club. Please let as many fellow cyclists know as you can.”

Comments

DJR

Oct 14, 2016, 1:24 PM

:(

bikebloke

Oct 14, 2016, 1:26 PM

ffs :(

(not directed at club or organisers

just sad frustration)

'Dale

Oct 14, 2016, 1:28 PM

Yoh ????

News bot

Oct 14, 2016, 1:34 PM

The Outriders Cycling Club, organisers of the popular West Coast Express taking place this Sunday, 16 October 2016, have issued a notice cancelling the event.

Click here to view the article
Skubarra

Oct 14, 2016, 1:35 PM

low blow from the contractors - can only imagine how much work & money had gone into setting up this event.

No chance of moving it to another date?

Outriders Press Office

Oct 14, 2016, 1:39 PM

low blow from the contractors - can only imagine how much work & money had gone into setting up this event.

No chance of moving it to another date?

We're hoping so - but no guarantees, so consider it cancelled for now and keep an eye out here for a new possible date.

Skubarra

Oct 14, 2016, 1:41 PM

We're hoping so - but no guarantees, so consider it cancelled for now and keep an eye out here for a new possible date.

This really sucks. Holding thumbs that you guys can make a plan!

T-Bob

Oct 14, 2016, 1:43 PM

Jeez, heart goes out to all those involved in putting on this great event. It's been a highlight for me since racing here. It must be  a blow to so many people who have worked so hard for this to happen and come together. Shame guys. I'm disappointed and i was just riding the thing! 

carbon29er

Oct 14, 2016, 2:45 PM

What a nightmare for an already very shallow pool of road events.

Province wants to attract cyclo tourists then allows this sort of thing to happen to one of the few events planned.

bikebloke

Oct 14, 2016, 2:53 PM

What a nightmare for an already very shallow pool of road events.

Province wants to attract cyclo tourists then allows this sort of thing to happen to one of the few events planned.

this isn't happening to tourists (maybe a couple) just to us locals :(

"this city Province works for you " T & C's may apply. (fixed)

carbon29er

Oct 14, 2016, 3:02 PM

this isn't happening to tourists (maybe a couple) just to us locals :(

"this city works for you " T & C's may apply.

Province traffic. Not City traffic.

Edit: City traffic apparently shut down all city events years ago if those who have overseen the decimation of southern suburbs events are to be believed. Personally I think they just don't give a damn and put the traffic decision in the "far too hard basket that will mean I have to do some work negotiating with traffic" basket.

DJR

Oct 14, 2016, 3:16 PM

I also get the feeling that the traffic authorities have become a spoke in the wheel over the past decade. I don't quite know why this is so. I think there could be various contributing factors.

Extra work on Sundays not popular?

Overtime pay not lucrative enough?

Too much paperwork?

Easier to just say no?

'Dale

Oct 14, 2016, 4:01 PM

Wonder why the late notification?

From prov traffic, I guess?

2 days before the event

Snaaks ????????

Karman de Lange

Oct 14, 2016, 4:54 PM

2 days before the event

Snaaks

Was nothing todo with traffic department .... lets just leave it at that.

Maniax

Oct 14, 2016, 5:09 PM

Will PPA open the One Tonnee entries for some stranded cyclists?

Winstonian1984

Oct 14, 2016, 8:05 PM

Will PPA open the One Tonnee entries for some stranded cyclists?

Doubt it. Im willing to give my entry to a friend as I wont be here, but they dont want to do it.

Icycling

Oct 14, 2016, 9:07 PM

2 days before the event

Snaaks

May I add with extension to the league entry till yesterday (Thursday) - you has too ask did they really knot know?

I off to Durban 1st thing tomorrow morning for a race Sundays so does not impact the riders I will be managing!

Pure Savage

Oct 14, 2016, 9:56 PM

Doubt it. Im willing to give my entry to a friend as I wont be here, but they dont want to do it.

Its not a seperate seeding event, pick up the sticker before hand and then just hand it to him... No need for a transfer.

'Dale

Oct 15, 2016, 4:07 AM

Was nothing todo with traffic department .... lets just leave it at that.

Oh ????????

DJR

Oct 15, 2016, 6:21 AM

"This late notice comes as a complete surprise and the cancellation was only triggered as a result of the race’s organising committee meeting with the contractors to request assistance in making the road as wide and safe as possible. This discussion about safety and the road use at the event, gave cause for the contractor to initiate cancellation proceedings late on Thursday 13th October."

I think the above could perhaps be translated like this: 

The race organizers had a meeting with the road construction company just before the race because nobody told them there was going to be roadworks. The construction company was asked to move barriers and equipment at the last minute. Because the chief road engineer had a bad month, getting blocked by a bunch or cyclists on his way to work every 2nd morning, and because some arrogant cyclist swore at his wife and kids at a red traffic light and some idiot cyclist pepper sprayed his sister, he was a little grumpy. So, he said "hell no!" It is impossible to help the race organizers for safetys' sake, and contacted the traffic department, activating the clause in the contract that forced the end of the West Coast Express.

Possible? 

Winstonian1984

Oct 15, 2016, 12:55 PM

Its not a seperate seeding event, pick up the sticker before hand and then just hand it to him... No need for a transfer.

OK cool.

KingZA

Oct 15, 2016, 4:39 PM

Imagine if the timing matts were accidentally laid out every now and then in a random location either due to terrible miscommunication or a durability test. I'm sure we'd find many cyclists who would just happen to be passing by on those occasions.

Strangely, did you see how full that honesty box was at the timing matt that had "START" branded on it?

Phatman

Oct 15, 2016, 4:46 PM

"This late notice comes as a complete surprise and the cancellation was only triggered as a result of the race’s organising committee meeting with the contractors to request assistance in making the road as wide and safe as possible. This discussion about safety and the road use at the event, gave cause for the contractor to initiate cancellation proceedings late on Thursday 13th October."

I think the above could perhaps be translated like this:

The race organizers had a meeting with the road construction company just before the race because nobody told them there was going to be roadworks. The construction company was asked to move barriers and equipment at the last minute. Because the chief road engineer had a bad month, getting blocked by a bunch or cyclists on his way to work every 2nd morning, and because some arrogant cyclist swore at his wife and kids at a red traffic light and some idiot cyclist pepper sprayed his sister, he was a little grumpy. So, he said "hell no!" It is impossible to help the race organizers for safetys' sake, and contacted the traffic department, activating the clause in the contract that forced the end of the West Coast Express.

Possible?

Those roadworks have been ongoing for the entire year, with no end in sight. Contractors probably planned poorly as usual and are under pressure to get roads ready by December holidays, so they took the easy way out. Travelling through the area watching them "work" is like watching a comedy show.

Cog Masher

Oct 15, 2016, 6:43 PM

If the contractors are anything like those working in the Kalk Bay area this past decade it makes perfect sense, considering their organisational and efficiency skills...

Add a comment

You must log in to comment