Events

Western Cape mountain bikers in for a Trailseeker Series treat

· By Press Office · 33 comments

Western Cape mountain bikers are in for a treat on Saturday when they tackle Round 3 of the 2016 Nissan TrailSeeker Western Cape Series at the Hemel & Aarde Valley.

ccs-62657-0-76941400-1475763238.jpgAptly named Hemel & Aarde valley, the meeting point of two worlds, which will capture the imagination of the riders. Photo Credit: www.zcmc.co.za.

The trails in and around the coastal town of Hermanus are some of the most stimulating trails in the country. On Saturday, over 1000 mountain bikers are expected to appreciate them while competing in one of the four different distances on offer at the popular series.

“The course is very nice, proper mountain biking. Lots of single-track, which I enjoyed.” – Carmen Buchacher (3rd in the 2015 Women’s Marathon race)

After winning the first two rounds, SCOTT LCB Factory Racing’s Gert Heyns holds the total points rankings lead in the men’s marathon; while Katie Lennard’s previous second and third placements see her topping the women’s marathon rankings.

The marathon on Saturday will have a distance of 62km with 1365m of accumulated ascent. The race starts and finishes with relatively long steady climbs, but includes dual track, farm roads, fynbos trails, handmade forest trails with great bridges and “roller coaster” like wooded paths.

ccs-62657-0-78011100-1475763239.jpgSumaridge offers a breathtaking venue for all riders. Photo Credit: www.zcmc.co.za.

Last year’s runner-up in the women’s marathon race, Vera Adrian, describes the setting.

“When we came off the singletrack to the view point just above Hermanus, you could see all of Hermanus and the sea, that was beautiful! Then we went next to the river and up to the waterfall… just amazing! I’ve never seen something like that before.”

The route will be raced in a clock-wise direction and will first head up to the valley ceiling before descending down to the lower valley and onto the playground before the haul back up to the finish.

The half marathon over 36km has 776m of ascent and takes a clock-wise loop of the valley that incorporates spectacular scenery and stimulating singletrack. There is also a 19km fun race and a 10km fun ride.

The four events will all start and finish at Sumaridge Estate Wines. Winemaker and Director at Summaridge Estate Wines, Gavin Patterson, describes the extensive network of trails that pass through Sumaridge:

“You’ll find that the trails are well manicured, but still remain in quite a rustic form. The course is made up of about 95% singletrack with a lot of twists and turns and berms along the way. Nothing too technical, so the rider can pick up a nice bit of speed, but also enjoy some magnificent scenery of the ocean, vineyards and the fynbos.”

ccs-62657-0-67422500-1475763237.jpgSingletrack through endless fiends of Fynbos. Photo Credit: www.zcmc.co.za.

As with all Nissan TrailSeeker events, the race venue will cater for all ages and offers spectators a comfortable, relaxed environment to enjoy while they wait for their mountain bikers to enjoy the trails.

Online entries can be done at www.trailseeker.co.za

Nissan TrailSeeker Western Cape Series Hemel & Aarde schedule of events:

Venue: Sumaridge Estate Wines

Friday, 7 October at Euodia Cycles, Hermanus 16h00–19h00
Saturday, 8 October at Sumaridge Estate Wines 06h00–10h00

Race times:
Saturday, 8 October
07h15: Riders briefing
07h30: 62km marathon
08h50: 37km half-marathon
09h30: 20km fun race
09h50: 10km fun ride
13h00: Prize giving

For more information, visit www.trailseekerseries.co.za

Comments

dirtypot

Oct 6, 2016, 3:16 PM

Amped!  I love Hemel & Aarde 

Meezo

Oct 6, 2016, 3:45 PM

There!

Trailbike, smashed my rear my wheel on my other bike so I'll be the fat slow guy come Saturday

Malpiet

Oct 6, 2016, 4:16 PM

There!

Trailbike, smashed my rear my wheel on my other bike so I'll be the fat slow guy come Saturday

Riding in a size small shorts and top? :D

Meezo

Oct 6, 2016, 4:43 PM

Riding in a size small shorts and top? :D

What's wrong with small slow fat people [emoji63]
dirtypot

Oct 10, 2016, 6:35 AM

Bees!  Who else got stung?  

Speaking to people at the finish, it seems like riders just a bit ahead of where I was didn't even see a bee.  And then riders were diverted via the road to the finish shortly after.  

I was stung at least 30 times, got a tingly head shortly after and then had a terrible evening. 

It was a mess of abandoned bikes, helmets and kit all over the trail with riders running and screaming all over the place.  I managed to keep my bike and gear and push through all of the bees, but damn, that was definitely in my top five of worst life experiences.

I also want to apologize to the guy on the black & white Epic S-works with RS1 in Team Atlantic kit (IIRC) - we'd been swapping places for the whole race and going into the bee section I was in front and went off line sliding off the side off the track.  I honestly don't remember this properly, but I have the roasties to remind me.  This caused him to go off line to avoid me and he went OTB.  In the mayhem of being attacked I jumped over him and his bike and bolted (definitely not something that I would normally do).  I waited at the finish line but he never arrived.  I was chatting to his team buddies for a while and told them the story, but it would have been nice to say it in person.  Hope you're ok buddy, and sorry...  :ph34r:

Sparki 1

Oct 10, 2016, 6:45 AM

I heard about the commotion. Was also wondering why so many peeps were taking the short cut back. I took off with A and believe me, I didn't even know there were bees. Didn't see one to be honest. hope all who got stung are ok

Mamil

Oct 10, 2016, 6:53 AM

Wow that's dangerous and sounds like a nightmare.

There were also bees on the Grabouw trailseeker - I rode past the hives without incident but several people further back had problems I heard.

lerouc

Oct 10, 2016, 6:57 AM

As i said on the other thread, luckily on friday afternoon the doc said i must give it a skip. My riding partner also went OTB because the rider infront of him fell because of the bees. (he was riding a bergamont) he pulled his shirt over his face to protect it and started running. Apparently running into a fence and got stung even worse.

The medics took out 26 "angels" from his back alone but they went to town on his head through his helmet. he also had bad fever etc on saturday evening. Saw him yesterday and he looks like a 15 year old going through puberty. He was very upset because they had to wait quite a while at the end for his bike to arrive.

And not to mention the guys picking up the bikes and transporting them had no respect for the equipment judging on all the scratches on his frame.

Does anyone know what the official word from organizers were regarding this?

dirtypot

Oct 10, 2016, 7:44 AM

I'd also be keen to hear, although being attacked by bees is beyond their control...

On a positive note - they stepped up their water table offerings!  I've always loved the tables at the Trailseekers, but this time to have all of the sugary sweets and nuts that they've always had in the past, they now also had energy gels, energy bars, koeksisters, crunchies and chocolate brownies!   There will be a photo of me riding through a mud pit shortly after one of the stops with a handful of brownies trying to navigate the mud with one hand without falling!  Made me laugh

Winstonian1984

Oct 10, 2016, 9:15 AM

Bees!  Who else got stung?  

Speaking to people at the finish, it seems like riders just a bit ahead of where I was didn't even see a bee.  And then riders were diverted via the road to the finish shortly after.  

I was stung at least 30 times, got a tingly head shortly after and then had a terrible evening. 

It was a mess of abandoned bikes, helmets and kit all over the trail with riders running and screaming all over the place.  I managed to keep my bike and gear and push through all of the bees, but damn, that was definitely in my top five of worst life experiences.

I also want to apologize to the guy on the black & white Epic S-works with RS1 in Team Atlantic kit (IIRC) - we'd been swapping places for the whole race and going into the bee section I was in front and went off line sliding off the side off the track.  I honestly don't remember this properly, but I have the roasties to remind me.  This caused him to go off line to avoid me and he went OTB.  In the mayhem of being attacked I jumped over him and his bike and bolted (definitely not something that I would normally do).  I waited at the finish line but he never arrived.  I was chatting to his team buddies for a while and told them the story, but it would have been nice to say it in person.  Hope you're ok buddy, and sorry...  :ph34r:

Hey Dirtypot, Nate was the rider in the Team Atlantic kit, I conveyed this post to him.

dev null

Oct 10, 2016, 9:30 AM

You would think the organisers would have learnt from the Grabouw race to NOT take the riders past any beehives. It is as if they are tendering for a moerse lawsuit should somebody die from this. It is a small miracle that your mate did not go into anaphylactic shock from the stings. If that happened, he would have been in serious k@k.

Note to organisers. The indemnity is not a cop-out to take responsibility for the riders safety.

HenryS

Oct 13, 2016, 5:27 AM

This is a question from someone who was stung and the reply on the Trailseeker Facebook page:

"CommentCan the race organizers give us an update on the bees? I know of 30 of us that we're attacked by an angry swarm of bees. 4 of us were hospitalized. Seems like the landowner cleaned out the beehives on raceday as some guys saw the guys in the white bee suites. The ambulance did not have any comms.

Reply: This is the gist of it:

We wanted to be sure we have all the facts before we speculate on anything.

The landowner was on site but he only arrived in reaction to the incident to help us manage it with our team on the ground. The guy in the beekeeping suit was actually one of the organizers going in to retrieve bikes and keeping tabs on the situation. We assure you that there was no landowner emptying any hives that caused this.

We had no issues with the front groups, but we suspect the constant stream of riders or even someone taking a nature break close to the hive might have caused them reacting to the riders. Keep in mind these are permanent trails that are frequented by riders and never before have they had any issues with bees on the trails.

We are really sorry you had a bad experience but we assure you this was a freak natural occurrence and was not done intentionally, accidentally or caused by negligence in any way."

lerouc

Oct 13, 2016, 5:52 AM

Interesting that 2 out 2 events of trailseeker they had a "freak natural occurrence" these guys should buy lotto tickets.

'Dale

Oct 13, 2016, 6:29 AM

????????????

Change the series title to Bee-Seeker

Bzzzzz

dev null

Oct 13, 2016, 6:29 AM

Interesting that 2 out 2 events of trailseeker they had a "freak natural occurrence" these guys should buy lotto tickets.

Like I said, they knew this happened on the Grabouw race, and still continued to make the same mistake in this race. Did they somehow expect a different result?

If I remember correctly, their explanation for the bees stinging the later riders was the same BS story. That somebody swinged their hose at the bees.

dirtypot

Oct 13, 2016, 6:30 AM

Two out of three

lerouc

Oct 13, 2016, 6:37 AM

Two out of three

if you dont count the first one 2/2. or the last 2 or 2 in a row or or or  :whistling:

nonky

Oct 13, 2016, 7:35 AM

You would think the organisers would have learnt from the Grabouw race to NOT take the riders past any beehives. It is as if they are tendering for a moerse lawsuit should somebody die from this. It is a small miracle that your mate did not go into anaphylactic shock from the stings. If that happened, he would have been in serious k@k.

Note to organisers. The indemnity is not a cop-out to take responsibility for the riders safety.

You are right.  

IIRC an indemnity form does not indemnify the organisers against gross negligence.  Routing 100s of riders past bees would be gross negligence in my view.

I almost lost my riding mate to a SINGLE bee sting:    he made it to the hospital just before he went into shock and - get this - he's never shown an allergy to bees before.

Glad everyone is OK.

dirtypot

Oct 13, 2016, 8:13 AM

IIRC an indemnity form does not indemnify the organisers against gross negligence.  Routing 100s of riders past bees would be gross negligence in my view.

I disagree.

In general bees don't do anything to people riding past.  We'll most likely never know why these bees were so angry, but for the vast majority of the time you could ride past there with no issues at all.  

It makes me think of somewhere like Oak Valley where you ride past lots of cows that are all over the roads - they're always chilled, but what if one of them decided to charge at you - would it be gross negligence then to have a route around where the cows are roaming free?

I definitely don't hold the organizers responsible for being attacked by bees.  That is for sure beyond their control.  You realistically can't ride anywhere off road without going past bee hives, either man controlled or natural so to blame them on those grounds is illogical.  

How they deal with the fallout from the bees is far more important in my view.  The speed at which they close the route and divert riders around is vital.  Looking at Strava, there are many riders who were behind me and got diverted and went back along the road and through the finish line ahead of me - that's just annoying.  There was a route around the bees and back up the gorge which some utilized, but I feel that it should have been put into action sooner.  

Mamil

Oct 13, 2016, 8:14 AM

They may be open public trails but from a bee's eye view there is a difference between 5 or 10 riders racing past the front door to your hive and a stream of a thousand of the sweaty buggers. 

dirtypot

Oct 13, 2016, 8:19 AM

They may be open public trails but from a bee's eye view there is a difference between 5 or 10 riders racing past the front door to your hive and a stream of a thousand of the sweaty buggers. 

Are we debating bee thought logic processing power?

Lolsies  :lol:

Hamstring

Oct 13, 2016, 8:45 AM

i ride the trails at TBMBC and have been going past hives for years now with no problem. 50/50 chance one of us will get sting, we are MTBs and puts us at more risk even when training.

Goosebay

Oct 13, 2016, 8:58 AM

Bees can be a hazard, esp this time of the year.  Often hives split and the scout bees are a little more aggressive. 

Often drier too and they will go for moisture, sweat is wet.

Anyway - people have differing opinions re bees, but we move hives that are close to a route where we cannot circumnavigate them.  When we ride the routes here in ones or twos we generally don't have problems, but if there is an extended time of people flowing past we will avoid the hives.

If you ride in fynbos this time of the year and you see a clump of hives - take note of the bee activity and rather keep some distance.  If you sweat a lot don't dawdle :)

Edit spelling

Mamil

Oct 13, 2016, 9:24 AM

So, Trailseeker #4 in the Western Cape - Bosman - chances of bees? 

Add a comment

You must log in to comment