Events

Why Lance Armstrong is just like you and me

· By Press Office · 44 comments

Do you remember first hearing about Lance Armstrong? Do you remember what you felt? The shock, the anger, the betrayal? Consider for a moment if you will, that the only reason you felt that was because his behaviour reminded you too much of yourself.

ccs-62657-0-05151500-1432800740.jpgSimon Ekin.

Stay with me now. I am not saying what he did was okay, I am saying that we get angry, judgemental and resentful towards people’s behaviour that reminds us of a part of ourselves, otherwise we wouldn’t notice it. In this case, the lying, the cheating and the stealing. It’s said that if you ‘spot it you’ve got it.’

I am a cyclist. I love it. It is my self-expression, my freedom. I tend to do more pottering these days than serious riding. I tend to savour the open spaces and the solitude; something I learned when I cycled from Cape Town to England. That was back in the nineties.

But I notice that something happens for me when I get on a bike, something good and…something bad. Let me tell you about the bad: I become a bully; I become self-righteous, I cut in front of people and I shoot red robots for the fun of it because – I tell myself – that the rules don’t apply to me.

I mean, come on, I have just been up a hill, I’m now speeding down hill – I’ve earned it – I have the wind at my back and the wind through my hair. I approach a red robot. Why should I stop now? I deserve it! I’m not driving a car for heaven’s sake! I remember a driver coming alongside me and winding down his window, shouting, “The law applies to you too, you know!” I told him to mind his business, but of course he was right.

But how is that behaviour different to Lance Armstrong? We are both breaking the law aren’t we? “Ah, come on,” I hear you say, “it’s different, what he did was way more serious.” Sure, but weren’t we still both breaking the law? Why is what I did less severe than what he did? We have laws so that our society works, so that people are protected. When I shoot through a robot and someone else has the same idea and hits me, what then? Never mind me, what about my family? The other driver? His family?

ccs-62657-0-25712300-1432800663.jpgCycling in the mud of Congo on a trip from Cape Town to England.

Now the really interesting part about all this is that I have stopped doing this to test my theory that if I stick to the law, honour my word, keep my promises then I can have a very different experience of life. I see and sense that if I do it, then I am making more of an impact than trying to fix, change and sort others out. I would go so far as to say that something miraculous starts to happen – I start to have the experience of a world that works; of order, of power, of integrity. This only works if I am willing to take responsibility for my part in our part; never mind what others do or don’t do.

I have noticed that I am less righteous, more relaxed and more present to the joy of the ride. It’s not that I don’t break the law at all, but I am much more aware when I do, and that makes a difference. It gives me a choice in the matter.
So, here’s my invitation:

Try just for a week sticking to the law and see how it feels and trust that by doing so, you are creating a shift in the world. I’m not only talking about doing it on your bicycle!

Try setting yourself a goal of 3-5 key things you are going to do each day and do them (you might want to apply a bit of a stretch if you are someone who does this naturally; get out of your comfort zone.) Most of us don’t set any goals or intentions at all and wonder why we don’t achieve the results we know we can.

When you catch yourself being judgemental towards others, ask yourself what part of their behaviour reminds you of yours: if you spot it, you have got it.

So, next time you catch yourself doing stuff that doesn’t work, try asking yourself, “and you?” It takes great courage, responsibility and awareness to do this and if you want to live in a world that works, it’s a great place to start. As Gandhi said, “be the change you want to see in the world.”

ccs-62657-0-30501800-1432801024.jpg

Simon Ekin is a publisher, author, speaker and teacher on the subject of courage. His book, The Art of Courage, was published this year. His work focuses on helping sales people to overcome their fear of rejection and failure in pursuit of producing outstanding results and increased performance. You can buy his book here: www.crokerpublishing.com the hard copy is R220 and the e-book is R140.

Comments

SwissVan

May 28, 2015, 8:41 AM

Simon is brave and the hub press office even braver for posting this

NixM

May 28, 2015, 8:46 AM

I am not a bully nor a doper. I don't lie or cheat. I haven't destroyed peoples lives. 

urbanroyal

May 28, 2015, 8:48 AM

"If you spot it you got it ".....lotta spotting in hubland. ..☺☺☺☺

SwissVan

May 28, 2015, 8:50 AM

Seconds out: 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1...... or is it 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 yellow shirts hanging on the wall   :eek:

tjommies3

May 28, 2015, 9:19 AM

since the French haven't won LeTour since '85, do you think they would have given the title to a 2nd placed Frenchman?

Simon Ekin

May 28, 2015, 9:19 AM

Sorry guys, that pic is not me but of my cycling partner, Jo Story. I did take the pic though, honest!

MTBeer

May 28, 2015, 9:28 AM

what a load of crap.

"something bad. Let me tell you about the bad: I become a bully; I become self-righteous, I cut in front of people and I shoot red robots for the fun of it because - I tell myself - that the rules don’t apply to me."

speak for yourself dude!

velomonatiCT

May 28, 2015, 9:32 AM

sorry pal im none of those things on a bike(or in life) it seems it was just Lance who was a lying cheat and the two of you who are bullys on your bikes

I know you have to write about something edgy to get in print but really this is what you came up with ......

EmptyB

May 28, 2015, 9:38 AM

Biggest load of bollocks I've read in a long time.........

Falco

May 28, 2015, 9:39 AM

what a load of crap.

"something bad. Let me tell you about the bad: I become a bully; I become self-righteous, I cut in front of people and I shoot red robots for the fun of it because - I tell myself - that the rules don’t apply to me."

speak for yourself dude!

+1

Just because you do it, doesn't mean we all do.

Gen

May 28, 2015, 9:42 AM

Now that is 2min of my life that I will never get back..

What a load of rubbish. .

Odinson

May 28, 2015, 9:44 AM

The article and its "massage" has virtually no relevance to Armstrong. Cheap clickbait. 

If we extrapolate on this "message" by the author, we are all the same as Jacob Zuma, because we are angered by Nkandla. 

I'm sorry, Simon, but this piece doesn't fly. 

Shebeen

May 28, 2015, 9:45 AM

The problem with Lance is that while he might not have been the only guilty one, he was just a massive D005 about the whole thing.

now this is just a desperate act trying to score some clicks. much respect for riding the continent.

Allrounder

May 28, 2015, 9:54 AM

time waisted.....

milky4130

May 28, 2015, 9:54 AM

It's called traffic lights!!!! Damn!!

VicanZA

May 28, 2015, 10:03 AM

too many saints here...

DIPSLICK

May 28, 2015, 10:18 AM

go lance

go lance

lance for evaaaaaaa

Edition 507

May 28, 2015, 10:29 AM

Sorry, but I am not like Lance, I still have two balls!

Shebeen

May 28, 2015, 10:33 AM

Lance LAnce LANCE!!!

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2012/10/01/article-2211124-15496FBC000005DC-56_306x621.jpg

NixM

May 28, 2015, 10:35 AM

Lance LAnce LANCE!!!

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2012/10/01/article-2211124-15496FBC000005DC-56_306x621.jpg

That's more revolting than the 2 girls 1 cup thing you made me google earlier.

Tumbleweed

May 28, 2015, 10:43 AM

Sorry, but I am not like Lance, I still have two balls!

I'm not like him either...my balls are in a jar of formaldehyde... :blush:

Plentipotential

May 28, 2015, 10:46 AM

I for one enjoyed reading the free download of your book, how is it delivered, by post?

NixM

May 28, 2015, 10:48 AM

..my balls are in a jar of formaldehyde... :blush:

Divorce settlement? 

Tumbleweed

May 28, 2015, 10:52 AM

Divorce settlement? 

Ja, the only thing I got in the settlement was my sex life back...which I think was kinda cruel too...

Add a comment

You must log in to comment