ccs-41808-0-64609800-1382620536.jpg

Murray won the Totalsports Xterra SA Champs at Grabouw in February. On the day he surprised firm favourites Conrad Stoltz and Dan Hugo. Being a lover of mountain biking and a firm believer in always having fun no matter what, Murray feels no pressure and has no definite expectations for Maui.

“I’m not hundred percent sure what to expect in Maui. I will probably have to swim medium-fast, bike at an insane pace and go into survival mode for the run with broken legs. After doing one non-draft triathlon and the Totalsports Xterra South African Championships at the start of the year, I have noticed that these events are usually won and lost on the bike. I think the bike leg and the last 5km of the run will be where the positions are won or lost. I know that the swim will not be the same as at an ITU event, but there will be some good swimmers in the field this year so I will need to watch out.”

This will be Murray’s first time at Xterra Maui. “Xterra World Champs has been a dream race of mine for years. I love off-road events, and to be able to take part in the World Champs means a lot to me. Every season I stay up late at night due to the time zones difference and wait in anticipation for the Tweets from people at the event to come through. I am a big fan of mountain biking and I can’t wait to go up against some of these guys who are really strong on the bike and have some fun.”