Events

Xterra Maui all about having fun

· By BikeHubCoreAdmin · 8 comments

He might be the South African Xterra Champion but Sunday’s World Championships at Maui is all about having fun for Richard Murray.

ccs-41808-0-64609800-1382620536.jpg

Murray won the Totalsports Xterra SA Champs at Grabouw in February. On the day he surprised firm favourites Conrad Stoltz and Dan Hugo. Being a lover of mountain biking and a firm believer in always having fun no matter what, Murray feels no pressure and has no definite expectations for Maui.

“I’m not hundred percent sure what to expect in Maui. I will probably have to swim medium-fast, bike at an insane pace and go into survival mode for the run with broken legs. After doing one non-draft triathlon and the Totalsports Xterra South African Championships at the start of the year, I have noticed that these events are usually won and lost on the bike. I think the bike leg and the last 5km of the run will be where the positions are won or lost. I know that the swim will not be the same as at an ITU event, but there will be some good swimmers in the field this year so I will need to watch out.”

This will be Murray’s first time at Xterra Maui. “Xterra World Champs has been a dream race of mine for years. I love off-road events, and to be able to take part in the World Champs means a lot to me. Every season I stay up late at night due to the time zones difference and wait in anticipation for the Tweets from people at the event to come through. I am a big fan of mountain biking and I can’t wait to go up against some of these guys who are really strong on the bike and have some fun.”

Comments

Eldron

Oct 24, 2013, 1:31 PM

Man oh man - xterra Maui is so on my bucketlist.

Now I just have to learn to swim....

SwissVan

Oct 24, 2013, 1:39 PM

RM could kill them on the run if he is within a few minutes of the leaders off the bike...also depending how many other Pro ITU athletes pitch up

Sa must have a good chance with Conrad, RM and DH

Red Zone

Oct 24, 2013, 3:56 PM

I don't think the Caveman is going to feature, too much climbing for him. What are Murray's bike skills like?

jannosmit

Oct 24, 2013, 5:04 PM

I don't think the Caveman is going to feature, too much climbing for him. What are Murray's bike skills like?

Richard is strong on the bike and has got skills. He did well in downhill in his junior years.

jannosmit

Oct 24, 2013, 5:06 PM

I would love for Dan or Richard to take it. Will have to see.

Anyone know of live streaming?

Claudio

Oct 25, 2013, 8:10 AM

I would love for Dan or Richard to take it. Will have to see.

Anyone know of live streaming?

There is this: http://www.xterraplanet.com/television/ but I'm not sure if it's a nice site where they acknowledge the presence of international viewers.

SwissVan

Oct 27, 2013, 7:05 PM

Xterra World champs has just started and some live coverage here

http://www.xterralive.com/worlds/

Red Zone

Oct 28, 2013, 6:27 AM

Sixth place is the best Saffa with the Caveman, but 3 of our boys in the top 15 makes for good reading, add that to the SA contingent's results in Kona, with James 4th and Buckingham and Troutman taking home 1st and second in their age groups gives me a warm fuzzy feeling about triathlon in SA

Add a comment

You must log in to comment