Events

Young riders from Western Cape to compete for places on HotChillee Development Cycling Programme

· By Press Office · 1 comment

16 young riders were selected at the Cape Rouleur Prologue to take part in the HotChillee Development Cycling Programme in 2016.

The riders underwent Wattbike performance testing at Velokhaya; attended a young rider summit withmembers of Team Dimension Data, Team Sky, Cervelo Bigla and industry influencers; rode with European pro-riders including Team SKY; came 2nd at the Coronation Double Century as part of the mixed HotChillee racing team; and have the opportunity to ride for Team Bäckstedt HotChillee in SA and Europe. HotChillee will be selecting 16 riders based on their performance at the Cape Rouleur Prologue to take part in the programme in 2017.

ccs-62657-0-60977000-1487833991.jpgYoung riders from the 2016 programme at the Young Rider Summit in November 2016.

There are up to 150 free of charge places for riders to race the Cape Rouleur 2017 7km ITT Prologue. Riders will need to aged between 14 years (turning 15yrs this year) and 18 years to enter.

The 16 best age related performances will be selected to join this year’s programme. Out of these 16 the best four male riders and the best female (and their coaches) will be invited to train one on one with the support and guidance of Paris-Roubaix winner and cycling legend Magnus Bäckstedt.

The rest of the group will be invited for quarterly Wattbike performance testing at Velokhaya which will also be monitored by the programme alongside results at PPA events. These riders will also be offered advice and guidance by Magnus Bäcksted and invited to join local monthly group rides in Cape Town with the HotChillee Ride Captains.
HotChillee will select riders from the programme to represent Team Bäckstedt HotChillee at rides in SA including the Coronation Double Century 2017 and Cape Rouleur 2018 as well as HotChillee events in Europe in 2018.

Paris-Roubaix winner, Magnus Bäckstedt: “Since signing my first professional contract here in SA and the Western Cape, it feels like my career has now come full circle. Being able to guide the new generation of SA riders towards their dreams and putting something back in to the sport that has given me so much, gives me great pleasure. Youth development has been a big focus for me during the past few years in the UK.”

UAE Abu Dhab, Ben Swift: “Having been involved in this programme since the beginning and realising how much effort goes in to developing a young rider it’s great to see the programme scale and I’m really excited to continue to be part of this amazing development.”

ccs-62657-0-62426100-1487833990.jpgBen Swift, former Team SKY rider now UAE Abu Dhab, with Sipho Mona, General Manager of Velokhaya a programme partner

Dimension Data Continental rider, Nicholas Dlamini: “HotChillee has taken me down a road I always dreamt of, but never thought it would happen to me.”

Dimension Data Team Principal, Doug Ryder: “We’re in a sweet spot for African cycling and I have big expectations for our African riders. I’m looking forward to seeing what new talent Team HotChillee Bäckstedt bring to the table.”

ccs-62657-0-10211600-1487833991.jpgDoug Ryder, Dimension Data Team Principle meeting with the young riders at our young rider conference in November.

The programme will be supported by the PPA, CSA, Wattbike, Oryx Stainless, the Western Cape Government, Velokhaya and BIORACER.

The Prologue will take place on Sunday 5th March from La Cotte Farm, Franschhoek:
1.30 – 2.30pm – Sign On
2.30pm – Rider briefing
3.00pm – Prologue
5.00pm – Results

For full details of the event and how to enter please click here.

Comments

Irshaadmayet

Feb 23, 2017, 5:34 PM

Brilliant initiative, would've loved to have something like this which would include Gauteng junior riders as well . With Sa champs , as well as the CTCT , it makes it crazy expensive to go down .

Perhaps our local GCG should look at such a development plan ??? Or try get a few juniors from the province down there ? , similar to past years youth events ?

Add a comment

You must log in to comment