Promotions

Advertorial Review: Aramex Global Shopper

· By BikeHubCoreAdmin · 51 comments

Aramex Global Shopper is an international shipping service that allows you to shop from countries and online stores that would normally not ship to South Africa or where the online retailers shipping charges are prohibitive. They will then deliver your parcel to your doorstep and take care of customs in the process. That means more online shopping options, hassle-free.

With the advent of online shopping and the ease with which we can buy from just about anywhere in the world, shipping to South Africa has always been a challenge. In the early years, I mostly bought books and CD’s (remember those) from Amazon, but when my wife bought me a GoPro 4 for my birthday last year I realized for the first time just how little is shipped to South Africa. That meant that quite a few of the really want accessories were reserved for the lucky people who live abroad.

The same goes for direct to public bike brands like Canyon and YT Industries. Enter Aramex Global Shopper. What you need to know about Aramex Global Shopper:

• This service is available to anyone who lives in South Africa, Botswana or Kenya.
  • Orders are automatically shipped to your South African address as soon as they arrive in your Aramex Global Shopper account. You won’t be able to combine orders to all be sent at one time
  • There is a once-off $45 lifetime membership fee (Pricing is in dollars as they are an international shipping company)
  • Aramex Global Shopper offers a money back guarantee if you’re not satisfied with their service within the first 12 months
  • You can pay using your credit card or Paypal
  • As part of the service they offer, Aramex Global Shopper insures shipments up to the value of $100 for free. If a shipment is lost or damaged, they will fully compensate you equal to the package’s invoice value. You can opt to pay $1 per additional $100 value for parcels that are worth more than $100, but it isn’t mandatory.
  • Their service includes paying any customs charges on your behalf, taking the frustration of delays and dealing with customs out of your hands completely. They will simply upload the charges to your account for you to pay before they make your delivery.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6MfYKun6uA
To make use of their service you will need to follow these steps:

1. Set up an Account
The usual online account details apply here. Name, surname, email address, shipping address and preferred payment method. This can be edited at any stage giving you the option to ship to an alternative address or using a different payment method for a specific order if you’d like.

And that’s it! All that’s left to do is shop.

ccs-62657-0-40803700-1453282781.jpg

Once you have registered with Aramex Global Shopper, you will receive personalized physical addresses in 14 locations, New York, London, Shanghai, Istanbul, Dubai, Mumbai, Hong Kong, Frankfurt, Milan, Barcelona, Paris, Singapore, Ontario and Malaysia. You can use these addresses to shop from the US, UK / EU, China, Turkey, UAE, India, Hong Kong, Germany, Italy, Spain, France, Singapore, Canada and Malaysia. These are used as a forwarding address and you can select which one to use based on who and where you are shopping from.

For my first order I used the New York address as I shopped from Amazon’s US Store. In doing so I qualified for free 2 day shipping in the US and only had to pay for the shipping costs from NY to Cape Town.

The website is easy to navigate with nifty online tools like a ‘Rate Calculator’, ‘Currency Converter’ and a ‘Track Your Shipment’ tool. With the aid of these tools you can calculate the shipping rates etc. before you place your online order. Email updates are sent to keep you informed as your parcel makes its way through the system. Should you wish to not receive these, or missed one, their online tools help a great deal. Each and every parcel is assigned its own Aramex tracking number with reference to the shipper’s tracking number, thereby making it easy to track your shipments. Click on the tracking number and it opens a page showing full details and status. To write about my experience with them, I kept an eye on their turn-around and it was nothing short of impressive with virtually no delay their side.

ccs-62657-0-09760200-1453282781.jpg

My order did hit one snag, though. Instead of shipping my order in 3 shipments, Amazon sent 2 each with its own invoice and another 4 sharing 1 invoice. This caused a bit of confusion at customs as those 4 parcels needed to be totalled to calculate the import duties and not be charged for the full amount for each parcel. Thankfully Aramex Global Shopper’s local customer services got in touch with me and sorted the issue out with customs directly with no real effort on my part. Their communication was very good – the experience left me impressed and confident that they will be able to tackle any hurdle along the way. Obviously this won’t be an issue with many other online shops as they ship from their own warehouses.

Barring any unforeseen delays, you can expect your parcel to reach your doorstep in 3 – 6 working days which is very impressive considering the extra stop.

Aramex Global Shopper’s shipping rates to South Africa:

Zone 1 Countries – Canada, China, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Italy, Malaysia, Spain, Singapore, US, UK

• Shipping Rate for first half kg: R 175
  • Shipping Rate per additional half kg thereafter: R 99

Zone 2 Countries – Turkey, UAE, India

• Shipping Rate for first half kg: R 131.31
  • Shipping Rate per additional half kg thereafter: R 74.30

Duties, clearance and customs fees:

• If the parcel’s value is over R500 – a clearance fee of R 50.00 per shipment is charged
  • If Customs & Duties exceed R 1000 (not the value of the parcel) – a 2.5% disbursement fee will be charged

Verdict

I feel that the success of any service lies in how they deal with the odd challenge. This usually reflects well-trained staff who understand the system and environment they work in, and have an understanding of good customer service. In this case I can say that my experience with their customer service department was top-notch and their team is only a joy to talk to. With their Global Shopper offering, Aramex has opened several doors and markets that have been closed to date with an easy to use platform. That new Canyon or YT you’ve been dreaming about can now become a reality.

Bike Hub Promotional Discount:

Aramex are offering a $35 discount on the registration fee. Meaning that you will only pay $10 to register for Aramex Global Shopper.

Enter the discount registration code AGS10BH at the checkout stage of the registration process.

From Aramex:

Aramex Global Shopper is an International shipping service that allows you to shop online from the US, the UK, China, Turkey, the UAE, India, Hong Kong, Germany, Italy, Spain, France, Singapore, Canada and Malaysia, and have your purchases delivered to your door in SA – at rates you would simply love. That means more online shopping options, hassle-free.

You shop, we ship.
To bring the wonderful world of online shopping to your doorstep, all you have to do is register online for an Aramex Global Shopper Lifetime Membership on our website. Once registered, you get 14 personalized physical addresses in New York, London, Shanghai, Istanbul, Dubai, Mumbai, Hong Kong, Frankfurt, Milan, Barcelona, Paris, Singapore, Ontario and Malaysia. You can use these addresses to shop from the US, UK/EU, China, Turkey, UAE, India, Hong Kong, Germany, Italy, Spain, France, Singapore, Canada and Malaysia and we’ll deliver them to where you live at reasonable shipping rates.

Comments

johannrissik

Jan 21, 2016, 5:43 AM

I'm looking forward to using their service. In my experience, the Aramex have been quick and reliable .

fanievb

Jan 21, 2016, 6:05 AM

I'm looking forward to using their service. In my experience, the Aramex have been quick and reliable .

in all my dealings (mostly local) with couriers, they are by far the best.

Paul Ruinaard

Jan 21, 2016, 6:45 AM

Wow - this is interesting. My US etc costs about $10 per month.

Ebay here we come

Donovan Le Cok

Jan 21, 2016, 7:34 AM

Their shipping rates are wayyy cheaper than myus.

trekpostal

Jan 22, 2016, 7:04 AM

Shipito now also now offers aramex as a partner - will have to test them soon........

Fisan

Jan 23, 2016, 9:37 AM

So there's something I want from the 'States: R2070 converted value. After duties, tax, shipping, clearance fee and disbursement fee the total adds up to R3610 - or 75% more than original $ price. I want to cry :(

Johnny Lawless

Feb 5, 2016, 4:44 AM

So there's something I want from the 'States: R2070 converted value. After duties, tax, shipping, clearance fee and disbursement fee the total adds up to R3610 - or 75% more than original $ price. I want to cry :(

Is there a calculator before you purchase that works out all these extra fees? Customs is a black hole and I'm always worried about ending up with a purchase that costs be double the expected amount.

Johnny Lawless

Feb 5, 2016, 4:53 AM

Is there a calculator before you purchase that works out all these extra fees? Customs is a black hole and I'm always worried about ending up with a purchase that costs be double the expected amount.

Sorry nevermind, the answer to my question is in the article...just didn't read it properly

Fisan

Feb 5, 2016, 5:44 AM

Sorry nevermind, the answer to my question is in the article...just didn't read it properly

Remember: Amarex pay X amount for the customs - so that they can add that X amount on your invoice - including all the other clearance, shipping, etc. fees. You will still end up paying tax and custom duties.

Pure Savage

Feb 5, 2016, 6:45 AM

So can you arrange a Canyon bike now via this service?

Iwan Kemp

Feb 5, 2016, 6:51 AM

So can you arrange a Canyon bike now via this service?

Yes.

Johnny Lawless

Feb 5, 2016, 7:45 AM

Remember: Amarex pay X amount for the customs - so that they can add that X amount on your invoice - including all the other clearance, shipping, etc. fees. You will still end up paying tax and custom duties.

Thanks!

Can anyone confirm my understanding that bike components (e.g. Pedals) are free of import taxes? Complete bikes however are not and neither is apparel. Does helmets fall under the latter (apparel)?

alsoran

Feb 5, 2016, 7:48 AM

Thanks!

Can anyone confirm my understanding that bike components (e.g. Pedals) are free of import taxes? Complete bikes however are not and neither is apparel. Does helmets fall under the latter (apparel)?

This was debated in another post and if memory serves yes apparel. 

Johnny Lawless

Feb 5, 2016, 8:08 AM

This was debated in another post and if memory serves yes apparel. 

Thanks, I'll go see if I can find that thread

Iwan Kemp

Feb 5, 2016, 8:18 AM

When you sign up they send you a full list of duties so you know what you're in for before you swipe. Customs have a mind of their own, but it still helps.

Discount code is still valid as well.

Riaan H

Feb 5, 2016, 8:34 AM

As far as I know they are the same guys that have taken 1 1/2 weeks to send my bike from the Cape to Pretoria, so my opinion is pretty low at this point.

HermanMathee

Feb 5, 2016, 10:43 AM

I use Aramex Global Shopper a lot, decent prices and very reliable if compared to SA Postal services. It also helps when US or UK local shipping is free to the Aramex offices.

Payments are handled via Paypal and all shipping includes to door delivery.

If I remember, packages upto 500g/1lbs is R175 without customs from the US.

Very heavy parts like car brake rotors is a no no with this service.

Aramex Global Shopper

Feb 10, 2016, 7:54 AM

Hi Bike Hubbers, thanks for signing up to Aramex Global Shopper!

Here's a 10% shipping discount* code for you to use when paying for any shipments before 31 March 2016. Just apply this code - SHIP10BH - at checkout. 

*Discount applies to shipping charges only, and not SA Customs duties and taxes. 

davevdm

Feb 17, 2016, 12:55 PM

Its asking $45 for lifetime membership, its not accepting your promo code SHIP10BH

davevdm

Feb 17, 2016, 1:07 PM

invalid promo code

Nick

Feb 18, 2016, 6:55 AM

Its asking $45 for lifetime membership, its not accepting your promo code SHIP10BH

Sorry about that. Had the wrong code for the registration.

Enter the discount registration code AGS10BH at the checkout stage of the registration process. The discounted shipping code is SHIP10BH.

davidn

Feb 22, 2016, 3:40 PM

Aramex Global Shopper's FAQ indicate that we are liable to pay for VAT in the country of purchase, do they then claim back the VAT on our behalf when the goods leave the country of origin?

Skylark

Feb 22, 2016, 3:49 PM

Aramex Global Shopper's FAQ indicate that we are liable to pay for VAT in the country of purchase, do they then claim back the VAT on our behalf when the goods leave the country of origin?

That's a good point, local shipping address(Ags regional address) in Eu/UK means the retailer will charge vat/local taxes at checkout, makes it a little less attractive :(
mh348

Mar 2, 2016, 1:48 PM

Sorry about that. Had the wrong code for the registration.

Enter the discount registration code AGS10BH at the checkout stage of the registration process. The discounted shipping code is SHIP10BH.

Hi

I tried the promo code AGS10BH but I get an "invalid promo code" error

Add a comment

You must log in to comment