Promotions

Best Bike in Africa 2015: #6 Transition Patrol

· By Press Office · 53 comments

The Best Bike in Africa will be held at the 2015 Standard Bank Africa Cycle Fair on 23 – 25 October at St Stithians College, Johannesburg. The competition invites fair visitors to vote for their favourite bike at the Best Bike in Africa stand. All the entrants that vote for the bike that wins the Best Bike in Africa will go into a draw to win the bike. Leading up to the fair, we’ll be be revealing the bikes entered in the Best Bike in Africa. Friday’s bike is the Transition Patrol.

ccs-62657-0-02810200-1444904729.jpg

This what Transition have to say about the Patrol:

The Transition Patrol gives you the control of a downhill bike perfectly balanced with a lively and jumpy personality for a comfortable, efficient and fun ride in almost any trail condition. The Patrol is long and low with a slack 65 degree head angle and big wheelbase for tremendous stability in rowdy terrain. But don’t let the numbers fool you; the short 430mm chainstay and 155mm of active and carefully tuned suspension keep you in touch with the ground and ready to respond at a moment’s notice. With the Patrol you get big mountain confidence with trail bike agility in the same machine.

The custom Patrol build features solid components from SRAM, RockShox and RaceFace plus some less obvious choices that round this build off nicely. The Easton ARC rims have a 30mm internal width which should add some bulk to the tyres. If you drink the 35mm handlebar clamp diameter Kool-Aid (as this writer does), the Chromag BZA carbon bars will have you grinning while the longer 150mm travel Reverb dropper post is encouraging for those that like their saddles right out of the way when the trail gets rowdy.

Specification:

• FRAME: Transition Patrol 2016 Highlighter Yellow
  • STYLE:All-Mountain/ Enduro
  • REAR SHOCK: Rock Shox Monarch Plus RC3 Debonair
  • FORK:Rock Shox Pike RCT3 160mm 27.5
  • HEADSET:Cane Creek
  • STEM: Chromag BZA Clamp
  • HANDLEBARS:Chromag BZA Carbon 35mm
  • BRAKES:Shimano XT
  • REAR DERAILLEUR:SRAM XX1 Red
  • SHIFT LEVERS:SRAM XX1 Red
  • CRANKSET:Race Face SixC Cinch DM32t NW (175mm)
  • BOTTOM BRACKET:Race Face
  • WHEELSET:Easton ARC 30 with Hope Pro Evo Hubs
  • TIRES:WTB Trailboss and Vigilante
  • SADDLE:SDG Circuit MTN
  • SEATPOST:Rock Shox Reverb Stealth 150mm Right (31.6mm)
  • RETAIL PRICE:R 76,800.00

Find out more about the Transition Patrol here or get in touch with the local distributor here.

If you like this bike and would like the chance to own one, vote for it in the Best Bike in Africa at the Standard Bank Africa Cycle Fair on 23 – 25 October at St Stithians College.

ccs-62657-0-56754400-1444904652.jpg

Comments

droenn

Oct 16, 2015, 7:00 AM

i'll appreciate it more than anyone else, just send it here please.

Odinson

Oct 16, 2015, 7:47 AM

Bloody hot!

EmptyB

Oct 16, 2015, 8:19 AM

I see my name on it!!

Captain Fastbastard Mayhem

Oct 16, 2015, 8:27 AM

I see my name on it!!

So it WAS you on the corner at 10 last night then, signalling passers by?!

"Suigie vi' 'n fifty!"

Hint. Tranny.... 

EmptyB

Oct 16, 2015, 8:31 AM

So it WAS you on the corner at 10 last night then, signalling passers by?!

"Suigie vi' 'n fifty!"

Hint. Tranny.... 

Did you like my trench coat?

Oct 16, 2015, 8:34 AM

Did you like my trench coat?

Looked like it had joined you on many infiltrations... 

EmptyB

Oct 16, 2015, 8:38 AM

Looked like it had joined you on many infiltrations... 

:ph34r: ....only late at night.

Oct 16, 2015, 8:48 AM

:ph34r: ....only late at night.

In dark passages, I presume... 

EmptyB

Oct 16, 2015, 8:50 AM

In dark passages, I presume... 

Dark and dodgy....with the high heals

Oct 16, 2015, 8:51 AM

Dark and dodgy....with the high heals

Large rate of infection in your sector?

EmptyB

Oct 16, 2015, 8:59 AM

Large rate of infection in your sector?

oooops....heels. However, given the territory, yes...substantial infection rate!

needleshy

Oct 16, 2015, 9:42 AM

is that 76.8K for an alloy bike?

Oct 16, 2015, 9:47 AM

Yes. An alloy bike with a super top spec. Yes, it's a bit steep, but consider the Dollar, and the fact that the same spec on one of the other carbon bikes in this segment (Enduro, for example) would be closer to 100k... 

It's pricing is on par with the likes of Intense and so on. There's a carbon version coming soon (next year) which should push it to about 90k or so for the same spec. 

Eye wateringly expensive, yes, until you actually see what some of the other guys are charging. 

NicoBoshoff

Oct 16, 2015, 9:49 AM

A bargain.  Didn't you know?  Bikes now start at R50k pre-upgrades.  Because dollars, or something to do with people being willing to pay whatever the f&*ck Pinkbike and the Hub says is fair value.

Your bike from last year is a piece of trash and you will never be happy until you spend your kid's education on a new bicycle.  Until next year.

NicoBoshoff

Oct 16, 2015, 9:50 AM

Yes. An alloy bike with a super top spec. Yes, it's a bit steep, but consider the Dollar, and the fact that the same spec on one of the other carbon bikes in this segment (Enduro, for example) would be closer to 100k... 

It's pricing is on par with the likes of Intense and so on. There's a carbon version coming soon (next year) which should push it to about 90k or so for the same spec. 

Eye wateringly expensive, yes, until you actually see what some of the other guys are charging. 

Whatever.  They ask that because they know people will pay it.  Just like the Cape Epic and property in the CBD.

droenn

Oct 16, 2015, 9:54 AM

5 star posting here.

Oct 16, 2015, 9:57 AM

Whatever.  They ask that because they know people will pay it.  Just like the Cape Epic and property in the CBD.

grumpy much, Nico? 

Yes, it's a top level price. Yes, there are cheaper bikes with the same spec level (not many though)

The only thing that's missing from this build is a set of carbon hoops, and even then the ARC 30 is a top level alu rim. 

The SixC cinch crank on there is a 6k / 7k item all by itself. Carbon bars, XX1 kit, Etc etc. 

It's a really top drawer build. Of course it's going to be around that level when you take all the bits into consideration. 

Would I buy it at this spec level? No. But that's not the point. The point is that at this level of spec, you're going to expect to pay big tom. 

needleshy

Oct 16, 2015, 10:03 AM

I think the competition should be renamed to "Best Looking Bike"

Seems they are being judged on the looks and specs and not the actual ability of the bike.

Oct 16, 2015, 10:06 AM

I think the competition should be renamed to "Best Looking Bike"

Seems they are being judged on the looks and specs and not the actual ability of the bike.

given that it's happening at the Africa Cycle Fair, and you have to vote on the bikes there and you stnad a chance of winning the winner, the title "Best Bike in Africa" is a bit of a misnomer... Highly subjective. 

needleshy

Oct 16, 2015, 10:30 AM

Hey, at least they give u a sticker pack with the purchase. 

I just get so bummed when you see a nice bike, then inquire about the price and have your heart broken.

I am sometimes to embarrassed to ask for prices in stores, i dont want to be THAT guy but i suppose i am not alone.

NicoBoshoff

Oct 16, 2015, 10:51 AM

grumpy much, Nico? 

Yes, it's a top level price. Yes, there are cheaper bikes with the same spec level (not many though)

The only thing that's missing from this build is a set of carbon hoops, and even then the ARC 30 is a top level alu rim. 

The SixC cinch crank on there is a 6k / 7k item all by itself. Carbon bars, XX1 kit, Etc etc. 

It's a really top drawer build. Of course it's going to be around that level when you take all the bits into consideration. 

Would I buy it at this spec level? No. But that's not the point. The point is that at this level of spec, you're going to expect to pay big tom. 

I think you missed the cynical sarcasm.

Be that as it may, I'm just glad I'm not a bike salesman.  I would never be able to sell a bike with a straight face.

"Yes, sir I realise the vehicle you'll be driving this bike away with costs only a fraction more, but you know the dollar has been hard on us and hey, XX1 bru!"

Oct 16, 2015, 10:51 AM

I just get so bummed when you see a nice bike, then inquire about the price and have your heart broken.

I am sometimes to embarrassed to ask for prices in stores, i dont want to be THAT guy but i suppose i am not alone.

That's what happened to me with Knolly... 

Sniff. DREAM bike, that Knolly Warden. And then to hear that it would have been at MINIMUM 25k more than the Reign. 

Crushed. 

Oct 16, 2015, 10:53 AM

I think you missed the cynical sarcasm.

Be that as it may, I'm just glad I'm not a bike salesman.  I would never be able to sell a bike with a straight face.

"Yes, sir I realise the vehicle you'll be driving this bike away with costs only a fraction more, but you know the dollar has been hard on us and hey, XX1 bru!"

Comic Sans, man!

LOL. Yeah - I did, totally. 

As for vehicle vs bike costs - yeah. 

NicoBoshoff

Oct 16, 2015, 10:54 AM

I was that guy and the owner made me feel like a loser so I just never returned.  Two years loyal patronage. Meant zip when it came down to brass tax.

Add a comment

You must log in to comment