Promotions

Epic enough to win an entry?

· By Press Office · 34 comments

The world’s biggest and toughest mountain bike race route was announced yesterday. And if you’ve been eyeing a highly-prized entry into the 2018 Absa Cape Epic, Virgin Active is giving you the chance to get it – that’s if you’re willing to battle your burning quads, lungs and waning mental fortitude.

ccs-58780-0-30623900-1505918020.jpg

As a headline sponsor and official health club partner of the Absa Cape Epic, Virgin Active is giving away 1 of 2 team entries (including kit & support) into the race as well as an Absa Cape Epic Trippers Experience to the runner up member and their riding buddy.

How? The Virgin Active Epic Battle – eight weeks of powering through four epic challenges, designed to actively motivate and exorcise the slightest hint of lazy from your body. Each of these challenges are linked to Strava and include both outdoor and indoor challenges. Competing contestants can complete their indoor challenges at Virgin Active on state-of-the-art bikes and by taking part in group exercise classes such as Ride, Shape, The Grid and POUND. The challenges can be done at the riders’ convenience, within set timeframes.

Patrick Hardy, Head of Strategic Partnerships and Sponsorships at Virgin Active South Africa, says that the Virgin Active Epic Battle is designed to get riders to challenge themselves to reach their goals, have fun and be rewarded while Virgin Active supports them along the way. “So many of our members dream of taking part in this extraordinary race and we’re delighted to be able to give them a special chance to do so.”

Even if you’re keen to take part in just one or two of the challenges, sign up as there are awesome prizes to be won for each.

For full details on how to enter the Virgin Active Epic Battle, go to: www.virginactive.co.za/epicbattle

The Virgin Active Epic Battle Challenges

1. Build The Base: 2 Oct – 15 Oct 2017
Ride 400km in total over two weeks outdoors and/or using Virgin Active’s Wattbikes.

2. Head for The Hills: 16 Oct – 29 Oct 2017
Accumulate a total elevation of 5000m.

3. In for The Long Haul: 30 Oct – 12 Nov 2017
Complete two 4-hour sessions in the saddle, with a once-off moving time.

4. Riding With The Pack: 13 Nov – 26 Nov 2017
Attend four Virgin Active group exercise classes. Please note that all group classes will be bookable.

What you’ll need to enter

1. Create a profile for the Virgin Active Epic Battle at www.virginactive.co.za/epicbattle and link your Strava account to track your rides.
  2. Choose your riding buddy.
  3. The challenges are open to all but to qualify for the grand prizes you need to be a Virgin Active member.
  4. Download the My VA app to make signing up for classes easier, or use the Virgin Active website. ONLY classes booked online will count towards your challenge entries.

Challenge Prize Winners

ccs-2-0-14782400-1510915011.jpg

ccs-2-0-20954100-1510914981.jpg

ccs-2-0-58968700-1510914944.jpg

Overall Winner

ccs-2-0-35408100-1520483283.jpg

Related posts

Comments

nathrix

Sep 20, 2017, 3:17 PM

Point 4. is where i lost interest...the “grand prize” is only open to virgin members. Lekker, enjoy the indoor fietsies.

Meezo

Sep 20, 2017, 4:36 PM

Mee too I'm out! I can't afford new bike parts and a va membership

Kalahari Vegmot

Sep 20, 2017, 5:58 PM

You don't need to be very 'epic' to do those 'challenges'...

Boerklong

Sep 20, 2017, 6:27 PM

Im active, but not a virgin. So I'm out...

BaGearA

Sep 20, 2017, 7:28 PM

Fail

Slowbee

Sep 21, 2017, 6:52 AM

Fail

Why ?

dave303e

Sep 21, 2017, 6:59 AM

my biggest problem is the fact I would have the cheapest bike at epic :ph34r:

Suidwes Boytjie

Sep 21, 2017, 7:01 AM

So ek moet nou 2 keer n week vir 2 weke deur ry vanaf Gansbaai, Somerset toe om "group exercise classes" by te woon om die challenge te kan klaarmaak...

Ja nee wat... Nr 4 maak dit impossible vir ons ouens op die platteland. 

Sterkte aan almal wat dit kan maak... 

PhilipV

Sep 21, 2017, 8:29 AM

Well, if Virgin is sponsoring the competition then they can obviously make the rules to suit their members and to hopefully entice new members to join. It's only marketing after all.

Lizzard30

Sep 21, 2017, 8:38 AM

Im active, but not a virgin. So I'm out...

Goeie een ou maat
Li Mu Bai

Sep 21, 2017, 8:39 AM

Its not such a hard challenge, and obviously you would need to be a VA member, no point complaining about that. If they are sponsoring the entry, they would expect to get some membership mileage out of the deal too.

andreas17777

Sep 21, 2017, 9:07 AM

I don't have a riding buddy so can't enter, o and also not a va membership.

Suidwes Boytjie

Sep 21, 2017, 9:20 AM

I joined the challenge anyways... Although i won't be able to do the 4th one, but joined to challenge myself.

OemD

Sep 21, 2017, 9:29 AM

challenges are very - NOT Epic.....

No1. Go to the gym..sit on the bike..watch 2 rugby games...pedal.

No2. 5000m slightly more difficult...ride your bike up and down the mountain a couple of time at a speed that will allow you to enjoy the flowers....

no.3... 2x4hour ...that a Sunday morning long cruise...

no.4 ...attend 4 classes???wth? attend..so I can just sit there and waste an hour?

Win the entry and embarrass yourself by finishing every stage 10 hours after the winner...

NO THANKS...IM OUT!!!

Cyclewizz

Sep 21, 2017, 9:51 AM

So glad to hear that so many people are out.

I'm IN !!!!

The only thing that I already don't do is class workouts but that's easy enough to do.

As a roadie I have very little interest in doing the Epic (and everybody would laugh at my MTB) but if I'm able to sell the entry then it's all good (obviously will have to win it 1st).

bertusras

Sep 21, 2017, 9:57 AM

NO THANKS...IM OUT!!!

If it's not that Epic, why aren't you doing it?

J Wakefield

Sep 21, 2017, 10:01 AM

challenges are very - NOT Epic.....

No1. Go to the gym..sit on the bike..watch 2 rugby games...pedal.

No2. 5000m slightly more difficult...ride your bike up and down the mountain a couple of time at a speed that will allow you to enjoy the flowers....

no.3... 2x4hour ...that a Sunday morning long cruise...

no.4 ...attend 4 classes???wth? attend..so I can just sit there and waste an hour?

Win the entry and embarrass yourself by finishing every stage 10 hours after the winner...

NO THANKS...IM OUT!!!

Bud, you do know thats not the training you must do for the event? Thats to get entry. 

ChrisF

Sep 21, 2017, 10:14 AM

Bud, you do know thats not the training you must do for the event? Thats to get entry. 

On Saturday I saw a school kid sporting an "Epic" jacket after a cycling event

I asked if he did the Epic .... his dad laughed, and said that he (the dad) did the Epic, his son is just wearing the jacket.

With a smile I asked the lid if he knows that jacket was for for in blood and SWEAT .....  His dad just said "YES".

Pity it has become so commercial and the talks always goes back to one bottle of water and obscene amounts of money .... as it really should be about an EPIC cycle event.  (okay, I know that without the sponsors and the whole commercial aspect the event would not exist..)

Sheffield

Oct 2, 2017, 2:42 PM

I'm in. Fun challenges, except those group classes! Zzzzzzzzzz!

I'll also have the worst bike there but may hire one if it comes to that and if it doesn't then screw it, might just win an action cam with everyone bailing due to feelings!

Engel10

Oct 3, 2017, 8:31 AM

Twaatie

Oct 3, 2017, 8:33 AM

I would do it but my stupid phone can't get strava

What kind of cyclist are you...... You must ALWAYS strava!!!!
@ndy

Oct 3, 2017, 8:47 AM

I read that you cannot sell the entries.

If the general population are as negative towards it as the people on here then my chances are up.

I have been a VA member for many years and I might finally get rewarded for my loyalty. The challenges seem OK although the 5000m ascent will require a bit more planning than my usual riding I wonder how folks can mange who live in relatively flat areas will manage.

Not looking forward to 4 Spin classes.

BuffsVintageBikes

Oct 3, 2017, 9:26 AM

I'm in, did a 18km mtb ride yesterday afternoon, 382km's to go before the 15th  :eek: 

I'm clearly going to need to saddle up the road bike to bump up the kays :wacko:

Grease_Monkey

Oct 3, 2017, 10:03 AM

I'm in, did a 18km mtb ride yesterday afternoon, 382km's to go before the 15th  :eek:

I'm clearly going to need to saddle up the road bike to bump up the kays :wacko:

Or stationary bike - you can crank out 40km per hour without too much effort on the Wattbikes.

Add a comment

You must log in to comment