Promotions

Introducing the Imbi Bike Saver

· By Press Office · 58 comments

Introducing the Imbi Bike Saver, the latest cycling accessory you need to protect your bike.

ccs-62657-0-07968300-1479151953.jpg

You love your bike, don’t you? You’re also likely to have spent a considerable amount of money on your beloved steed, so don’t take the chance with makeshift padding when transporting your bike on the bike rack.

The Imbi was developed by South African, Earle Loxton, an avid cyclist who hails from Somerset West. Earle sought out a better way in which to protect his bike whilst on the bike rack as he travelled to various events and training rides.

ccs-62657-0-07521600-1479151946.jpg

After working through an assortment of prototype models, the Imbi was eventually born in 2015. Earle and his wife Mariëtte introduced the Imbi to the world at the Inter-Bike show in Las Vegas. Shortly thereafter they managed to secure a distributor in the USA.

The Imbi is produced from a soft, durable EPDM rubber with a velcro strap attached. The design ensures that the Imbi will last the lifetime of your bicycle, while it is not easily lost, being bright red in colour.

ccs-62657-0-87605300-1479151940.jpg

After discussions with local distributor 88 Sports, the Imbi found its way to the shelves in a select number of cycling retailers across the country in April 2016. With a network of stores that stock the Imbi expanding on a daily basis, keep an eye out for it at your local bike shop.

At a price of R299, the Imbi is reasonably priced accessory which you can’t go without. Not only will it protect your bike from being scratched and chipped every time you need to transport it, but because the Imbi fits perfectly Imbi-tween, you’ll be on your way in a matter of minutes each time you need to travel.

ccs-62657-0-34975000-1479151935.jpg

Comments

coppi

Nov 15, 2016, 6:08 AM

Pretty nifty idea, hopefully not ridiculously priced............

NotSoBigBen

Nov 15, 2016, 6:10 AM

Pretty nifty idea, hopefully not ridiculously priced............

Did I see 299 ZA rondts there somewhere ....

fanievb

so its an expensive pool noodle?

or rather a piece of pool noodle

madbradd

This looks really well thought out. But you need 2 and at R300 each.... Pool noodle is probably gonna stay where it is.

Edit: Looks like the cost is R300 for a set of 2. 

coppi

Nov 15, 2016, 6:32 AM

This looks really well thought out. But you need 2 and at R300 each.... Pool noodle is probably gonna stay where it is.

Exactly.........

lerouc

Nov 15, 2016, 6:38 AM

I bought a set of these (R299 gets you 2 imbis) when they were still on kickstarter.

I only used them twice but i really like it. The initial stock's glue was *** so the valcro came of when you opened them, used a few staples to secure the valcro back on and its working perfectly.

I never used a pool noodle but if you have to transport more than 1 bicycle, get these.

lerouc

Nov 15, 2016, 6:40 AM

Ps. i see from the pics it looks like the valcro is stitched on now rather than just glued. Good idea.

Hairy

Nov 15, 2016, 6:45 AM

I like this .... there are very few things as frustrating as loading up the bikes and then realising you still need to fit the pool noodle.....or the freeking thing moves. Pool noodle is still better than nothing, but this product looks like a nice and durable solution.

madbradd

Nov 15, 2016, 7:04 AM

OK so R300 for 2 Imbis sounds more feasible. Pool noodle still alot cheaper, but this does look better. I also like that I could just strap them to the rack when not in use.

bikebloke

Nov 15, 2016, 7:25 AM

seriously cycling is getting more like golf every day... little whatnots and baubles and gizmos and stuff and bling .....unbelievable....

earleloxton

Nov 15, 2016, 7:25 AM

Ps. i see from the pics it looks like the valcro is stitched on now rather than just glued. Good idea.

Hey Cobus,  good to see your name again!  Thanks for sticking with us (no pun intended) even with the issues we had with the terrible adhesive!

Yep, we changed to stitching to make them bulletproof.

IH8MUD

Nov 15, 2016, 7:39 AM

pool noodle, plus the "green stretchy Teflon reusable cable tie things" and you are set. 

"green stretchy Teflon reusable cable tie things"

They are cheap and 10  or so in a packet. Buy them at  4x4 shops. 

They are rubbery and will not scratch the paint. 

(Sorry, for the live of me,  I can not google-find the name or picture of it)   

quintonb

Nov 15, 2016, 8:11 AM

These work very well. I bought a set ages ago from CWC and use them on my Thule hanging rack for my kids bikes. Much better than a pool noodle and they dont get lost in transit somewhere along the freeway.

I find most racks bikes sit very close, this way I know non of the bikes will rub against each other.

Im very happy with how they work, just my 2 cents.

madbradd

Nov 15, 2016, 8:23 AM

pool noodle, plus the "green stretchy Teflon reusable cable tie things" and you are set. 

"green stretchy Teflon reusable cable tie things"

They are cheap and 10  or so in a packet. Buy them at  4x4 shops. 

They are rubbery and will not scratch the paint. 

(Sorry, for the live of me,  I can not google-find the name or picture of it)   

bungee cord?

Skylark

Nov 15, 2016, 10:15 AM

Hey Cobus,  good to see your name again!  Thanks for sticking with us (no pun intended) even with the issues we had with the terrible adhesive!

Are you going to fix Cobus's one free of charge or send him some new ones? (If you haven't already). They aren't cheap so at least they should work 100%, especially if the guy went all out and supported you from the beginning..

quintonb

Nov 15, 2016, 10:45 AM

That would be good marketing for sure.

The first versions like the ones I have had the issue with the velcro.

I also have re-glued mine a few time... just saying ;)

earleloxton

Nov 15, 2016, 10:59 AM

That would be good marketing for sure.

The first versions like the ones I have had the issue with the velcro.

I also have re-glued mine a few time... just saying ;)

Thanks for the support, Quinton. PM me your details to earle@imbicompany.com and we can make a plan. You can also swap it out at the bike shop you bought it from.

earleloxton

Nov 15, 2016, 11:03 AM

Are you going to fix Cobus's one free of charge or send him some new ones? (If you haven't already). They aren't cheap so at least they should work 100%, especially if the guy went all out and supported you from the beginning..

Great suggestion, thanks Skylark - we had the idea, but you beat us to it.  Good thing Cobus is a local Helderberger, so makes it a bit easier ;)

earleloxton

Nov 15, 2016, 11:04 AM

Selfde adres, Cobus?

Andrew Steer

Nov 15, 2016, 11:13 AM

Nice idea, looks like a solid product... I can always appreciate a bit of ingenuity. Adhesives are never a very robust option long term though, glad you saw the light.

As for people comparing them to pool noodles, also not really fair - pool noodles definitely can shift around on long bumpy trips, which is exactly when things go horribly wrong. They're also a helluva lot more bulky.

The pricing is maybe a touch on the high side imho, but considering the price of bikes these days, it's a no brainer to keep them properly protected.

Good luck with the endeavor Earle 

earleloxton

Nov 15, 2016, 11:22 AM

Nice idea, looks like a solid product... I can always appreciate a bit of ingenuity. Adhesives are never a very robust option long term though, glad you saw the light.

As for people comparing them to pool noodles, also not really fair - pool noodles definitely can shift around on long bumpy trips, which is exactly when things go horribly wrong. They're also a helluva lot more bulky.

The pricing is maybe a touch on the high side imho, but considering the price of bikes these days, it's a no brainer to keep them properly protected.

Good luck with the endeavor Earle 

Thanks for the kind words Andrew. One of my greatest frustrations were the pool noodles disappearing, especially on the day that I return from a nice trip to the Weskus! 32deg C, and I'm scurrying around to find what the wind didn't blow away.

Wish I didn't have to be exposed to the USDZAR, but alas we couldn't find a reasonable manufacturer in ZA. At normal manufacturer, distributor, retailer margins it would have been R500 per set :( 

Andrew Steer

Nov 15, 2016, 11:25 AM

Thanks for the kind words Andrew. One of my greatest frustrations were the pool noodles disappearing, especially on the day that I return from a nice trip to the Weskus! 32deg C, and I'm scurrying around to find what the wind didn't blow away.

Wish I didn't have to be exposed to the USDZAR, but alas we couldn't find a reasonable manufacturer in ZA. At normal manufacturer, distributor, retailer margins it would have been R500 per set :(

Is it R300 for a set? If so it's good value in my eyes... sorry, was under the impression it was each. 

madbradd

Nov 15, 2016, 11:47 AM

Is it R300 for a set? If so it's good value in my eyes... sorry, was under the impression it was each. 

My comparisons to the pool noodle were for when I thought it was R300 each (R600 per set).

I also think R300 for the set is good value. Definitely going to lose the pool noodle soon.

Amberdrake

Nov 15, 2016, 11:51 AM

Where in Helderberg can we buy these?

Add a comment

You must log in to comment