Promotions

Thinking of buying a bike? Top tips from a pro

· By Press Office · 90 comments

How to buy the right bike

At JaSure, we think one of the best ways to explore and keep fit is on a bicycle. We chatted to our brand ambassador and ex-mountain biking pro Oli Munnik to get the low down on buying a bike.

ccs-144148-0-52469200-1594111716.png
Image by Kolesky | Nikon | Lexar

Tip #1. Go for a mountain bike

You may be planning on sticking to city cycling for now, but a mountain bike is the way to go if you’re still getting to grips with your new hobby. In comparison to a road bike, a mountain bike’s suspension, stockier tyres, wider handlebars and more upright sitting position make it easier to gain confidence before transitioning to a road bike. And the versatility is great, if you decide to take to the roads less travelled.

Tip #2. Where to shop

Since you’re here, your search probably started online, but popping in to your local bike store is recommended to get a better idea of sizing. They are also likely to carry a bigger range of better quality bikes compared to those you’ll find in a “supermarket”.

If you’re on a tight budget, you may find a few bargains second hand. Ask a knowledgeable friend for help to ensure you don’t buy a lemon, or consider buying from a reseller to give you some added peace of mind.

Tip #3. Accessories are a must

For a great start, make sure you’re comfortable and safe. A helmet, gloves, eyewear and padded shorts are essential. Oli chatted to East City Cycles in Cape Town to get the latest on accessory prices when it comes to some of his favourite brands. Prices, of course, vary from store to store. Check out these recommendations from Oli:

• Helmet: Giro mountain bike Fixture helmet (R1,250)
  • Gloves: Giro Bravo LF gloves (R715)
  • Sunglasses: Radar Path EV Prizm Trail Oakley eyewear (R2,490)
  • Cycling shorts: First Ascent Domestique cycling shorts (R849)
  • Secure water bottle cage: Ryder is a good one, where the side kick cage costs about R75.
  • BPA-free water bottle: Camelbak Podium 710ml (R225)
  • Allen key set: Ryder offers a 9 function tool at R115.
  • If you’re planning on going off-road, consider converting your tyres to tubeless – get down to your local bike shop for the ins and outs.

Tip #4. Choose 1x

‘1x’, pronounced ‘one-by’, refers to a gearing system that consists of a single front cog paired to a rear derailleur that shifts the chain up and down the cassette. Basically, this makes it simpler to change gears, where setting your bike to an ‘easier’ or ‘harder’ gear only requires shifting the rear derailleur. The idea is to minimise gearing guesswork and error, allowing you to focus on conquering the terrain ahead. Brands such as Signal Bikes have designed their entire range as 1x, making it easier for cyclists to simply enjoy the ride.

Tip #5. Stick with flat pedals (for now)

Flat pedals will come with your new bike — stick with them while you’re gaining your confidence. This way, you can put your foot down without a second thought whenever you need to stop. Juggling gears, brakes and terrain while clipped in is a skill which may take time and being clipped in from the beginning will make coming to a stop that much more difficult. Save the clips for when you’re really getting the hang of things.

Tip #6. Get your bike shop to set up your bike

Being comfortable on your new set of wheels will make taking up cycling more pleasurable and get you riding harder and longer. Ask your local bike shop to help set up your bike for you, including positioning your handlebars and saddle. Following a few rides, you may need to make an extra adjustment or two, requiring another trip to the bike shop, but the hassle will be well worth it!

Remember to insure your new cycling gear on the JaSure app, where you can simply switch on cover whenever you get in the saddle.

JaSure and Bike Hub have made it even easier to get a bicycle insurance quote. Introducing the zero second quote! All bike listings on the Bike Hub site now display an indicative JaSure premium. You can instantly get an idea of the insurance cost for a bike you’re checking out and easily click through to the JaSure Quick Quote for more details.

Lastly, do you have a question or advice of your own for a new buyer? Add your comment below.

Tags:

Comments

BaGearA

Jul 7, 2020, 2:08 PM

Tip 1 : Buy the bottom of the line frame and deck it out with carbon and top of the line spec 

DR ◣◢

Jul 7, 2020, 2:19 PM

Thinking of buying a bike? Sure, buy eyewear for R2,490 and gloves for R715. That's R3000+ that you could put towards a better bike. 

Veebee

Jul 7, 2020, 2:24 PM

Thinking of buying a bike? Sure, buy eyewear for R2,490 and gloves for R715. That's R3000+ that you could put towards a better bike. 

but those R2500 sunnies will make you look pro so its needed

Hairy

Jul 7, 2020, 2:27 PM

can a pro really offer advice on how to buy a bike, seeing as they get their for "free" as part of their work as a pro racer!

DR ◣◢

Jul 7, 2020, 2:31 PM

Headshot

Jul 7, 2020, 4:39 PM

Buy a better helmet and much cheaper glasses and gloves. 

fanievb

Jul 7, 2020, 4:42 PM

"pro"

Trevz

Jul 7, 2020, 6:38 PM

That accessory list...Wow. lol. I can understand for the helmet and shorts, i think those 2 are real important. I got my R500 Darcs from Sportsmans for like 4 years now with the different lenses, still happy with it...That would leave 2k to buy the next higher spec bike...the 2k could be the difference between getting a coil shock vs the next level, an air shock...Thats more important than the Oakley...As a newbie you go over the bars, face first and shove your 2.5k Oakley into your face when you could have had hydraulic brakes instead. lol #Eish

ChrisF

Jul 7, 2020, 6:43 PM

Marketing and real useful information seldom appear in the same promotional piece .....

This is just pure marketing .... and not something I will ever forward to a newby.

Hairy

Jul 7, 2020, 7:00 PM

Marketing and real useful information seldom appear in the same propomotional piece .....

This is just pure marketing .... and not something I will ever forward to a newby.

"Remember to insure your new cycling gear on the JaSure app, where you can simply switch on cover whenever you get in the saddle.

JaSure and Bike Hub have made it even easier to get a bicycle insurance quote. Introducing the zero second quote! All bike listings on the Bike Hub site now display an indicative JaSure premium. You can instantly get an idea of the insurance cost for a bike you’re checking out and easily click through to the JaSure Quick Quote for more details.

Lastly, do you have a question or advice of your own for a new buyer? Add your comment below."

I think this covers all

Grease_Monkey

Jul 7, 2020, 7:30 PM

Ja... sure.

Eugene

Jul 8, 2020, 5:14 AM

Advice from a non-pro.

Get a bike (in the right size), get a helmet and ride.

You will figure out your preferences as you go along.

DR ◣◢

Jul 8, 2020, 7:23 AM

"Remember to insure your new cycling gear on the JaSure app, where you can simply switch on cover whenever you get in the saddle.

JaSure and Bike Hub have made it even easier to get a bicycle insurance quote. Introducing the zero second quote! All bike listings on the Bike Hub site now display an indicative JaSure premium. You can instantly get an idea of the insurance cost for a bike you’re checking out and easily click through to the JaSure Quick Quote for more details.

Lastly, do you have a question or advice of your own for a new buyer? Add your comment below."

I think this covers all

Ja, nee.

Underachiever

Jul 8, 2020, 8:06 AM

First time bikers with Oakleys and a Camelback water bottle...and flat pedals.

Seriously????  Oli wrote this??

DR ◣◢

Jul 8, 2020, 8:22 AM

First time bikers with Oakleys and a Camelback water bottle...and flat pedals.

Seriously????  Oli wrote this??

Nothing wrong with the flat pedals. That is about the only thing I agree with in that article.

TCTG

Jul 8, 2020, 8:26 AM

I think this clip sums up the evolution of entry into cycling very well. First timers should do mtbiking first, gain the confidence, move through the levels and then start with road cycling...or stay with mtbiking. Overall good summation.
Red Bird

Jul 8, 2020, 8:35 AM

This reminded me of the time I took a guy to Wolwespruit, the black diamond section. I said, it can’t be that bad, so we went. 3 seconds later I heard a noise. He went over the bars, into a bush and broke his handlebar in half ???? Felt soooo bad. But had to stop myself from laughing.

Underachiever

Jul 8, 2020, 10:53 AM

Nothing wrong with the flat pedals. That is about the only thing I agree with in that article.

Agree 100% with that, very practical. 

The contrast is that it is suggested you need R2k Oakleys and a R200 water bottle

Shebeen

Jul 8, 2020, 11:52 AM

Agree 100% with that, very practical. 

The contrast is that it is suggested you need R2k Oakleys and a R200 water bottle

I got that.

Unfortunately they used a stock photo of him with no gloves and a bog std bidon.

If i was to splash out anywhere for a beginner, a decent multitool would be my suggestion.

there's also two types of beginners:

the CEO SWorks crowd and those on a budget who can't (yet) see why a pair of socks should cost R135 just because they are for cycling. This article seems to be aimed at the latter, but has suggestions mainly for the former.

MTBeer

Jul 8, 2020, 12:12 PM

I got that.

Unfortunately they used a stock photo of him with no gloves and a bog std bidon.

If i was to splash out anywhere for a beginner, a decent multitool would be my suggestion.

there's also two types of beginners:

the CEO SWorks crowd and those on a budget who can't (yet) see why a pair of socks should cost R135 just because they are for cycling. This article seems to be aimed at the latter, but has suggestions mainly for the former.

After 10 years of cycling I still can't see it. Maybe for 5 or 6 hour rides. I get home from work, change into my cycling kit and leave my work socks on. Absolutely perfect for 2 to 3 hours. And they are PnP clothing socks. Nothing fancy.

DR ◣◢

Jul 8, 2020, 12:14 PM

I can see myself paying R135 for a pair of socks but I've seen socks for R399. That is madness.

TCTG

Jul 8, 2020, 12:16 PM

I can see myself paying R135 for a pair of socks but I've seen socks for R399. That is madness.

Those R400 a pair makes u look like a pro neh...
DR ◣◢

Jul 8, 2020, 12:17 PM

Those R400 a pair makes u look like a pro neh...

That big old S logo on them adds at least 10rpm to any ride.

Patchelicious

Jul 8, 2020, 12:23 PM

After 10 years of cycling I still can't see it. Maybe for 5 or 6 hour rides. I get home from work, change into my cycling kit and leave my work socks on. Absolutely perfect for 2 to 3 hours. And they are PnP clothing socks. Nothing fancy.

source.gif

Add a comment

You must log in to comment