Promotions

Volvo introduces world-first Cyclist Detection with full auto brake

· By BikeHubCoreAdmin · 13 comments

Volvo has introduced its revolutionary cyclist detection system to go hand-in-hand with its pedestrian detection and auto braking systems. The system incorporates full auto braking that automatically brakes if a cyclist swerves out in front of the car. This should be of particular interest to South African cyclists – finally we have a car on our side!

ccs-41808-0-02195300-1382348986.jpg

This is a great step toward making a car that is intelligent enough to help the driver avoid accidents. Cyclist Detection is an excellent addition to Volvo’s Pedestrian Detection and City Safety auto braking systems.

“As the leader in automotive safety, we have been first in the industry with all detection and auto brake technologies, from the first-generation brake support in 2006 to pedestrian detection with full auto brake in 2010,” says Doug Speck, Senior Vice President, Marketing, Sales and Customer Service at Volvo Car Group.

Counteracts accidents

According to accident data, about 50 per cent of all cyclist fatalities in European were as a result of a collision with a car – a number that is counteracted by Volvo Cars’ new Pedestrian and Cyclist Detection technology.

New advanced software, including more rapid vision processing, has made it possible to extend the present detection and auto brake technology to cover certain cyclist situations as well. “Our solutions for avoiding collisions with unprotected road users are unique in the industry. By covering more and more objects and situations, we reinforce our world-leading position within automotive safety. We keep moving towards our long-term vision to design cars that do not crash,” says Doug Speck.

Automatic braking

Pedestrian and Cyclist Detection with full auto brake. will be available in the Volvo V40, S60, V60 and XC60, models The advanced sensor system constantly scans the area ahead of the vehicle. If a cyclist heading in the same direction as the car suddenly swerves out in front of the car and a collision is imminent, there is an instant warning and full braking power is applied. The car’s speed greatly determines the outcome of an accident. A lower speed of impact means that the risk of serious injury is significantly reduced.

Combining camera and radar

Pedestrian and Cyclist Detection with full auto brake consists of a radar unit integrated into the car’s grille, a camera fitted in front of the interior rear-view mirror and a central control unit. The radar’s task is to detect objects in front of the car and to determine the distance to them. The camera determines the type of the objects.

Thanks to the dual-mode radar’s wide field of vision, pedestrians and cyclists can be detected early on. The high-resolution camera makes it possible to spot the moving pattern of pedestrians and cyclists. The central control unit continuously monitors and evaluates the traffic situation.

The auto brake system requires both the radar and the camera to confirm the object. With the advanced sensor technology, it is possible to apply full braking power immediately when necessary. The technology also covers vehicles driving in the same lane.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=s8t-Skn1BoY

The video shows a brief scenario where the detection system would be used. While it’s not going to cover all situations, the fact that there is a system developed specifically for cyclists’ safety is a good nod towards general awareness of cyclists on the road.

Comments

Corvus

Oct 28, 2013, 8:20 AM

I'm sure car hijackers will love this feature.

Gnarly

Oct 28, 2013, 11:53 AM

On a golf tour in Ireland, Tiger Woods drives his Volvo into a petrol station in a reamote part of the Irish countryside. The attendant at the pump greets him in a typical Irish manner completely unaware of who the golfing pro is.

-"Top of the mornin' to yer, sir" says the attendant

Tiger nods a quick hello and bends forward to pick up the nozzle. As he does so, two peggs fall out of his shirt pocket onto the ground.

-"What are dey den, son?" asks the attendant.

-"They're called peggs" replies Woods.

-"Well, what on de good earth are dey for?" inquires the Irishman.

-"They're for resting my balls on when I'm driving", Woods says.

-"Feckin Jeysus", says the Irishman, "Dem boys at Volvo tink of everything!"

Helpmytrap

Oct 28, 2013, 12:10 PM

Not really ideal if there is a car tailgating the Volvo, like many of our road users do. It might prevent a collision with a cyclist but it might create one from behind with another vehicle.

That being said, I'm sure Volvo would have some measure in place to prevent that.

dracs

Oct 28, 2013, 12:19 PM

Surprising the lack of enthusiasm for this on a CYCLING FORUM!!

Its a fantastic innovation that would save many lives if it was on all new cars, which I reckon it will be (one day).

Hennie VR

Oct 28, 2013, 12:20 PM

Not really ideal if there is a car tailgating the Volvo, like many of our road users do. It might prevent a collision with a cyclist but it might create one from behind with another vehicle.

That being said, I'm sure Volvo would have some measure in place to prevent that.

Yes they do. You can switch it off.

Sat in the car at the Cycle Fair. Very nice although I dont like the centre console. Looks to much like a Saab but the rest I like.

Hennie VR

Oct 28, 2013, 12:22 PM

I think that most users will switch it off because with the amount off cars (especially taxi's) that push in front off you it must be very frustrating to drive and it will take forever to get to work.

Hennie VR

Oct 28, 2013, 12:25 PM

dracs

Oct 28, 2013, 12:37 PM

I think that most users will switch it off because with the amount off cars (especially taxi's) that push in front off you it must be very frustrating to drive and it will take forever to get to work.

My XC60 has the earlier version with auto brake for cars etc and I assure you it has never activated in these circumstances and I fight Witkoppen mayhem every morning! It only steps in when it comes to a conclusion that a crash is inevitable and you have not reacted.

I actually did have it activate once which was initially very confusing! Rushing somewhere I steemed up to a parking which had overgrown foliage at windscreen height. The deceleration is brutal and instant. Didn't know what had happened at first then figured I would have made contact with the light brush and the car would just know we were going into an object - not that it was to be a soft landing.

Wes84

Oct 29, 2013, 12:18 PM

How will it respond when you pull in behind this?

http://images04.olx.co.za/ui/19/19/41/1378802722_303721841_6-Trailer-Hire-at-WP-Trailer-Rent-Bellville-Durbanville-Cape-Town-Western-Cape.jpg

dracs

Oct 29, 2013, 12:22 PM

How will it respond when you pull in behind this?

http://images04.olx.co.za/ui/19/19/41/1378802722_303721841_6-Trailer-Hire-at-WP-Trailer-Rent-Bellville-Durbanville-Cape-Town-Western-Cape.jpg

How do you spell "WTF" in Swedish?
Corvus

Oct 29, 2013, 12:35 PM

WTFükkönen

Oh wait, that's Finnish.

Wes84

Oct 30, 2013, 8:47 AM

WTFükkönen

Oh wait, that's Finnish.

Luckily this is not mine!

Wes84

Oct 30, 2013, 8:49 AM

Can you imagine Volvo bringing out a MTB...with auto brake feature!!!

Add a comment

You must log in to comment