Promotions

Why Your Bike Will Roll Faster with Kogel Bearings

· By Bike Hub Features · 12 comments

Founded in 2014, every Kogel Bearings product is engineered and assembled in the USA, and are exclusively available in South Africa through ROAM Sports. All Kogel products use, only, the highest quality ceramic bearings and are all backed by Kogel’s industry leading warranty.

This 2-year “Guaranteed Performance” warranty, pending annual bearing service and general maintenance, is backed up by ROAM Sports in South Africa. The best-in-industry warranty, for ceramic bearing bike products, means that if a Kogel product fails in the first year ROAM Sports will send you a new unit. Upholding general maintenance, of your bearings, will extend this warranty for a second year. This warranty covers everything, including alloy race corrosion, the most common reason for BB failures.

Kogel Bearings Products

Ceramic Bottom Brackets:

Each Kogel Bottom Bracket is specifically engineered to frame and crank standards with designs that do not require any shims, adaptors or countless spacers. The range of BB’s provide intricately machined,  high tolerance alloy cups, covering all the main BB standards. They all feature ceramic bearings running on hardened alloy races, with the option of Road or Cross/All Weather seals to cater for all conditions and rider requirements. Based on availability, most of Kogel’s BB’s can also be purchased in a variety of colours, including Gold, Red and Blue.

BB86_92 .png

BSA BB.png

Pulley Wheels:

7075 Aluminium Kogel pulley wheels with sealed ceramic bearings to fit most current group-set systems. They were designed for high performance, low friction and with bomb proof stiffness for accurate shifting. Oversized pulley options can be purchased with Road, Cross/All Weather and Full
Ceramic bearing setups.

Kogel’s Oversized pulleys are available in three set-ups:

• 12/12T Oversized – The upper and lower pulleys consist of 12 teeth and are compatible with all modern Shimano 11 speed and SRAM Etap and Campagnolo 12 speed derailleur standards.
  • 12/14T Oversized – The Upper pulley consists of 12 teeth and the Lower 14 teeth. These are compatible with Shimano 105 R7000, Ultegra R8000 and DuraAce 9100. 
  • 14/14T Oversized – 14T Upper and 14T lower. Designed for the SRAM Eagle and Shimano 12 speed mountain bike derailleurs. These pulleys maximize the tooth count to reduce friction. These are only available with Cross seals.

14_14T 12spd MTB Pulleys.jpg

Pulley_s Cross Seals.jpg

Kolossos Oversized Derailleur Cage:

It is the combination of the pulleys and detailed machined cage which makes the Kolossos the game changer it is. Large derailleur pulleys reduce chain deflection and slow the rotation of the pulley wheel bearings. Both of these factors lead to decreased friction and a more efficient power transfer throughout the drivetrain. The, machined, Kolossos cage plays it’s roll by increasing stiffness and therefore increasing the chain retention, further increasing drivetrain efficiency and improving your shifting.  The Kogel Kolossos will not restrict your adventures as it is designed for both road and off-road use. 

Kolossos 1.png

Kolossos 2.png

Wheel Bearings:

Kogel offers a large range of wheel bearings to suit almost every wheel setup. All wheel bearing sizes are available in Road or Cross seals. All are fully serviceable cartridge style ceramic bearings running on a hardened alloy race.

Wheel Bearings.jpg

Ti-Bolts & Preload Adjusters:

New to Kogel’s range in 2021 are their ti-bolts and crank preload adjusters. Ti-bolts are available for your stem face plate, bottle cages and disc rotors. These and the crank preload adjusters are all offered in a range of colours allowing riders to personalize their builds to match their style.

Ti Bolts.jpg

Crank Preload Adjuster.jpg

To find out more about ROAM Sports’s products including Kogel Bearing and the All Mountain Project disc brake pads visit www.roamsports.co.za.

Logo.png

Comments

Grass Muncher

Sep 4, 2021, 9:16 AM

Haha, why would anyone in their right mind pay over R2000 for 2 jockey wheels that literally cost under a R100 to make. ???? 

RobbyB

Sep 4, 2021, 10:41 AM

Please make some for R100 and we'll try them out. Write a review and lets hear about your success story!!

MudLark

Sep 4, 2021, 11:12 AM

What's the "pending annual bearing service", thing all about? Manufacturer's website says the same, links to manual but the manual is silent on the point.

babse

Sep 5, 2021, 3:31 PM

So cool... until I checked website!? Yoh those bits are pricey

Goodluck with that! 

BMXER

Sep 9, 2021, 11:48 AM

My sram bb failed in less than a year, fitted a kogel bb. Runs great but can't say its any better than the stock sram bb. At the cost of the kogel I could have replaced the sram bb annually and still had change.

FondTF2

Sep 9, 2021, 12:30 PM

So they promote something and guide you towards the website and almost everything on the site is marked as Out Of Stock.

Not good marketing in MHO.

Schnavel

Sep 9, 2021, 12:40 PM

Isn't that the way the entire bike industry operates at the moment? ????

Rocket-Boy

Sep 15, 2021, 4:53 PM

Oh Ceramic bearing snake oil is still a thing?

I thought everyone had figured out that they only make a difference to heat dissipation at extremely high RPM and moved on with their lives? 

love2fly

Sep 15, 2021, 6:28 PM

My Sram BB still going strong after replacing bearings for the 3rd time. Cost something like R130 for a set at BMG.

Gerhard765

Sep 20, 2021, 12:15 PM

Frictional losses comes from a lot of places on a bicycle and drive train with the bb and jockey wheels probably having the lowest contribution. Perhaps for the elite where every 0.01% makes a difference, but not for me. Feels a bit to fitting hollow bolts on a bike...

2 kg of weight loss on a bike is extremely difficult and expense if possible. My boepens probably gives me 5 kg which I can save...

Bizkit031

Sep 28, 2021, 4:39 AM

Smoking their socks with those prices.

Rock Guy

Sep 28, 2021, 6:44 AM

Makes sense that your bike will be faster with more expensive bearings…

Through my own empirical studies, I have come to learn that nothing travels faster than money leaving a bank account. Conservation of energy therefore dictates that if your money transfers its kinetic energy to the bearings being purchased, the bearings will gain speed.

Furthermore, because the money completely disappears after the purchase, special relativity also applies. The physical mass of the money is thus converted to speed, ergo, a larger sum of money will result in faster bearings.

Add a comment

You must log in to comment