Promotions

Win an entry to Wines2Whales with Love The Bike Challenge

· By Nick · 29 comments

Fancy an entry into the 2014 FNB Wines2Whales Ride? If you’re up for a challenge, Food Lover’s Market have got three entries up for grabs. You’ve got 30 days to rack up as many kilometres, calories or hours as you can. The winner in each category will earn themselves a team entry (and a nice bit of fitness as a bonus).

lovethebike.jpg

Food Lover’s Market is the official food sponsor of the FNB Wines2Whales. Not only will we be making sure that all the riders are fuelled up on the most delicious and nutritious food, but we will also be giving other MTB enthusiasts the chance to ride their way into a 2014 W2W Ride team entry!

Click here to enter.

Show us that you’ve got the chops to handle one of SA’s most exciting MTB stage races! All you need to do is log in through STRAVA (Free GPS activity tracker) and get training!

There are 3 different categories and a team entry up for grabs in each category:

1. Distance covered – clock up as many kilometres on your bike as humanely possible! You can use a road bike, but just remember there are no road bikes at W2W so train on the right bike!

2. Calories burnt – blaze through as many calories as you can without evaporating! Remember to eat a healthy balanced diet in conjunction with your training. There will be no power in your legs if you haven’t fuelled up first!

3. Hours on bike – rack up those hours! You may not be the fastest or the lightest, but perseverance and determination will win this category!

screenshot.jpg

Questions and Answers:

1. What dates is the contest running?

Competition dates are 19 August 2014 – 18 September 2014. Only cycling activities logged during these dates will be included.

2. Are all my Strava activities included?

Only cycling activities that are not marked as “Private” in Strava will be included. Additionally any manually input activities will be excluded as these figures cannot be verified.

3. How will you monitor strava, isn’t it quite easy to cheat?

In addition to the measures above and Strava’s built in flagging features, we’ll also verify the activities of the various category winners before finalising the results.

4. Can I log my gym bike workout as a session?

You can log stationary bike sessions, however this would have to be recorded by a device (Smartphone, Heart Rate Monitor or GPS). No manually input activities will be included in your total.

Note that these activities will only contribute towards your total duration and calories (device dependant), but not distance is it cannot be consistently measured across different trainers and stationary bikes.

5. What happens if a person wins more than one category?

In the event of someone winning more than one category the prize will go to the next eligible competitor that is closest in either category measured by the percentage of the category winner’s result within each category.

6. If I join this competition late will it pick up my previous workouts?

Yes, all past workouts which meet the criteria outlined earlier and fall in the competition period will be automatically imported even if you join up late.

Related posts

Comments

fanievb

Aug 21, 2014, 9:37 AM

the link, she be broken

Nick

Aug 21, 2014, 10:15 AM

Thanks for pointing that out. Should be working as intended now. http://lovethebike.com/

milky4130

Aug 21, 2014, 3:05 PM

Point #3. is quite alarming, i hope you have a "strava expert" that will really scrutinize the activities logged.

Jakkals.

Aug 21, 2014, 3:22 PM

Theres lotsa ways to rig this, but I will be honest and say I will be on my bike, this is a good way of getting some base miles under the belt.

milky4130

Aug 21, 2014, 3:45 PM

Theres lotsa ways to rig this, but I will be honest and say I will be on my bike, this is a good way of getting some base miles under the belt.

Lets make a list of stuff peeps can/will do to rig the system so organizers can know what to look out for?

1. Lots of miles & Time but no Calories burned usually tracker was used on a motorised vehicle.

2. Clocked lots of miles but at excessively, inhumanly possible speeds, also with no calories or too little for the said workout, usually tracker was used on a motorised vehicle.

3. Racked up Distance, Time & Calories but but when viewed on a map they never moved, usually tracker was used on a stationary bike.

All i can think of for now, but this is going to be a tedious job for the judges to scrutinize each & every participants ride for 30 days, already 109 people registered wait until the word starts spreading. And sadly people are dishonest, yes the very mtb'ers here on the hub & on strava, rogue riders trespassing on private land or riding on "members only trails" without day passes, then they still have the audacity to log their ride on strava.

Yeah, I'll be on my bike as well.

Jakkals.

Aug 22, 2014, 6:57 AM

Lets make a list of stuff peeps can/will do to rig the system so organizers can know what to look out for?

1. Lots of miles & Time but no Calories burned usually tracker was used on a motorised vehicle.

2. Clocked lots of miles but at excessively, inhumanly possible speeds, also with no calories or too little for the said workout, usually tracker was used on a motorised vehicle.

3. Racked up Distance, Time & Calories but but when viewed on a map they never moved, usually tracker was used on a stationary bike.

All i can think of for now, but this is going to be a tedious job for the judges to scrutinize each & every participants ride for 30 days, already 109 people registered wait until the word starts spreading. And sadly people are dishonest, yes the very mtb'ers here on the hub & on strava, rogue riders trespassing on private land or riding on "members only trails" without day passes, then they still have the audacity to log their ride on strava.

Digital EPO, you load your GXP file on there, add 10% or what ever percentage you like to your said ride, download the ride again as GXP and upload it to Strava and boom, all of a sudden your ride is 10% better.

Do that to a few rides and you're in the world cup.

Logging miles riding in a car will also attract calories burned. strava calculates its own calories. so no need for a HRM.

Someone can also manipulate their weight on strava and or GPS device and this will also increase the calories.

So ja, big loophole here.

Good luck to the guys not "digital" doping, Dopers always win.

Matt

Aug 22, 2014, 7:00 AM

We've assisted the sponsors in setting this up and acknowledge there is some room for dishonesty, but having an understanding of these we've closed many of the loopholes already.

In terms of verification we won't scrutinize all entrants activities, but will run through the category leaders' data with a fine-toothed comb to weed out any dishonesty.

Good luck!

fanievb

Aug 22, 2014, 7:03 AM

Good luck to the guys not "digital" doping, Dopers always win.

#golance

#fallguy

#bestdoperever

milky4130

Aug 22, 2014, 1:05 PM

We've assisted the sponsors in setting this up and acknowledge there is some room for dishonesty, but having an understanding of these we've closed many of the loopholes already.

In terms of verification we won't scrutinize all entrants activities, but will run through the category leaders' data with a fine-toothed comb to weed out any dishonesty.

Good luck!

awesome with that said I'll give this a serious go now.
Jakkals.

Aug 22, 2014, 1:36 PM

Weather prediction in East London this weekend, 50km/h+ winds, its gonna be good training I guess.

Izak

Aug 22, 2014, 1:48 PM

I registered but it's just too much of a mission to try and get my Polar .xml files in a format that strava accepts :(

Good luck to all those that have racked up some good totals already!!

Jakkals.

Aug 26, 2014, 7:03 AM

Some of these okes should be local pro's by the look of things

The Crazy German

Aug 26, 2014, 9:56 AM

is this for the adventure the ride or the race?

The Crazy German

Aug 26, 2014, 9:56 AM

double post

Matt

Aug 26, 2014, 9:58 AM

Anyone know if its an entry for the adventure the ride or the race?

All three entries are for the Ride

DieVlieg

Aug 26, 2014, 10:29 AM

No need they just need to scrutinize the winners and if something is wrong the runners up and so on and so on. I almost cheated unknowingly but asked the admins to help rectify the problem. I'll offer my services as an analyst to try help. The cheater must be banned from strava and thehub.

Giving your GPS reader to a mate is just being a dooooooooooooooooooos

milky4130

Aug 26, 2014, 7:56 PM

No need they just need to scrutinize the winners and if something is wrong the runners up and so on and so on. I almost cheated unknowingly but asked the admins to help rectify the problem. I'll offer my services as an analyst to try help. The cheater must be banned from strava and thehub.

Giving your GPS reader to a mate is just being a dooooooooooooooooooos

well who ever does the verification can see if the riders, rides all start at the same location & it should go back months if possible, HR fluctuations (I mean huge discrepancies), previous speed over same course or route, any inconsistency really.
milky4130

Aug 26, 2014, 9:34 PM

Right now looks like everyone is chasing 2nd position as Bernie is running away with all categories, aaah the joys of having 6 hours to ride your bike everyday.

Hilton.

Aug 27, 2014, 8:18 AM

well who ever does the verification can see if the riders, rides all start at the same location & it should go back months if possible, HR fluctuations (I mean huge discrepancies), previous speed over same course or route, any inconsistency really.

Good point, but consider this: I ride with a mate fairly regularly. We ride the same trails, in Tokai, at the same pace. On alternate days, we could ride the trails separately, while sharing a GPS Strava-enabled device of some kind. We ride the same routes, at pretty much the same pace.

Wouldn't it be almost impossible to figure out this form of cheating?

p.s. I haven't entered myself, just giving my 2c.

milky4130

Aug 27, 2014, 10:00 PM

Good point, but consider this: I ride with a mate fairly regularly. We ride the same trails, in Tokai, at the same pace. On alternate days, we could ride the trails separately, while sharing a GPS Strava-enabled device of some kind. We ride the same routes, at pretty much the same pace.

Wouldn't it be almost impossible to figure out this form of cheating?

p.s. I haven't entered myself, just giving my 2c.

yeah I suppose it would be but whoever cheats will have bad luck the entire 3days of the race, sleepless nights in the tents & flats & mechanicals all 3 days, lol!!
milky4130

Sep 1, 2014, 12:21 PM

Had a crash this weekend, so I missed Sundays long ride to stay in contention, I guess I'm officially out now. Good luck to all those still gunning for 2nd place.

Pitpaplo

Sep 4, 2014, 8:27 AM

Please see the attached screenshots. Is this possible? Riding at 40km/h plus with HR of 100bpm and pushing to 80km/h plus and HR nearly touching 135bpm? This is on a stationary bike.

If he rides on the road it looks like he can only get an avg speed of 20km/h

I've never been close to this fitness level ever.

This guy is unstoppable.

post-47803-0-82606400-1409819138_thumb.jpg

post-47803-0-79698800-1409819145_thumb.jpg

Matt

Sep 4, 2014, 9:12 AM

Please see the attached screenshots. Is this possible? Riding at 40km/h plus with HR of 100bpm and pushing to 80km/h plus and HR nearly touching 135bpm? This is on a stationary bike.

If he rides on the road it looks like he can only get an avg speed of 20km/h

I've never been close to this fitness level ever.

This guy is unstoppable.

Hi Pitpaplo,

Any indoor trainer activities not marked as such in Strava will be disqualified altogether.

When an activity is marked as Stationary within Strava they will typically only use the total duration figure and ignore distance, calories, etc.

When a Powermeter is used Strava will also include Calories as they calculate Calories based on the power output.

We are doing some spot checks on the top contenders and will weed out any suspicious or incorrectly marked activities.

When the competition closes we will review ALL activities for the various category winners.

If you spot anything out of the ordinary please mail us at lovethebike@thehubsa.co.za

Thanks,

Matt

The Crazy German

Sep 20, 2014, 8:55 PM

So its finished, seems I just missed out. Glad Bernie Made it as his spirit not focusing just riding as he felt and going to church every sunday really impressed me.

Pity the calories category seems to be more about what machine you used or if you can benifit from group rides to get high readings. I broke a GPS and my other one gave me 30% more for similar rides and it seems some people are burning incredible amounts of calories on simple rides.

Add a comment

You must log in to comment