Tech

Bike Check: Alban Lakata’s Canyon Lux CF

· By Nick · 9 comments

Team Topeak Ergon’s top team featured Alban Lakata, who has completed the Cape Epic an impressive 7 times (finishing as an individual rider on one occasion), and last year’s winner Kristian Hynek. This year the pair rode Canyon’s Lux CF marathon race bike.

Topeak Ergon Canyon Lux CF 1.jpg

Topeak Ergon Canyon Lux CF 2.jpg

Topeak Ergon Canyon Lux CF 3.jpg

To my eyes, Lakata’s bike is looks pretty good. The first detail I noticed was the aggressive forward saddle setup.

Topeak Ergon Canyon Lux CF 4.jpg

Topeak Ergon Canyon Lux CF 5.jpg

The bike is kitted out with the SRAM’S XX1 drive train and a SRM PowerMeter. Alban went with the slightly easier 34t chainring this year. Interestingly Lakata has chosen the Crank Brothers Candy 11 pedals over the weight weenie Eggbeater.

Topeak Ergon Canyon Lux CF 6.jpg

Canyon’s Flex Pivot is used to connect the stays and provides enough movement for the rear suspension to function. This system does away with the need for a bearing or bushing.

Topeak Ergon Canyon Lux CF 7.jpg

A RockShox Monarch XX and RS-1 do suspension duty on the Canyon. Both with remote lockout using RockShox’s single XLoc Full-Sprint remote.

Topeak Ergon Canyon Lux CF 8.jpg

Topeak Ergon Canyon Lux CF 9.jpg

Topeak Ergon Canyon Lux CF 11.jpg

In the cockpit you’ll find SRAM XX brake levers, a GoPro, mounting for a SRM Power Control 7, the XX1 shifter with the XLoc Full-Sprint remote tucked neatly beside the left brake lever, Ergon GS-1 grips and a XX1 grip shift. To make space for the grip shift, the right Ergon grip has been cut and shortened.

Topeak Ergon Canyon Lux CF 10.jpg

The Carbon Ti steerer cap and removed handle bar protection (note the two holes on the top tube) all help to reduce weight on the Canyon.

Topeak Ergon Canyon Lux CF 12.jpg

Topeak Ergon Canyon Lux CF 13.jpg

Alban’s bike rolls on a set of SRAM Rise 60 carbon wheels featuring the ‘predictive steering’ front hub required for the RS-1 fork. Continental Race King ProTection tyres feature on front and back.

Topeak Ergon Canyon Lux CF 14.jpg

There’s no mistaking who’s bike this is. The name on the top tube should give it away, but in case you’re unsure Alban Lakata’s nickname “Albanator” is neatly etched into the seat post clamp.

If you interested in Team Topeak Ergon’s 2015 Cape Epic, check out this interactive website by Ergon detailing the team’s efforts on each stage.

Related posts

Comments

Apr 22, 2015, 12:09 PM

Now that is one of the better marathon rides shown thus far

'Dale

Apr 22, 2015, 12:14 PM

Want.
Crave.

Must have.

Want.

Need.

Want.

N-I-N-J-A

Apr 22, 2015, 12:16 PM

Interesting the way they and the Songo team put up their number boards.

Also, seeing that the Epic is so serious about the rules, does this not apply?

10.5 No official Absa Cape Epic sponsor logos may be removed from race numbers and/or be obscured in any way.

I see there is a R1,000 penalty for the first offense thereafter DQ...

Izak

Apr 22, 2015, 12:17 PM

Very nice!!!!

Johny Bravo

Apr 22, 2015, 12:21 PM

Stunning bike, but since riding a bike that can take 2 bottle cages in the frame, I wont go back to just 1.

Marius

Apr 22, 2015, 1:39 PM

ug-ly

Vanzyl

Apr 22, 2015, 4:35 PM

Droooooooooool!!!!!

burty

Apr 22, 2015, 6:31 PM

Loving those grips, does anyone in CPT stock them ?

MarcBurger

Apr 24, 2015, 8:53 AM

What gopro mount is that? looks like part of the number board mount from what I see? Not sure

Add a comment

You must log in to comment