Tech

Bike Check: James Reid’s Olympic Specialized S-Works Epic

· By BikeHubCoreAdmin · 94 comments

We managed to squeeze in some snaps of James’s Specialized S-Works Epic Torch Edition between the time team mechanic JP Jacobs completed the build and James Reid picked up the bike before leaving for Rio.

Specialized Epic Torch - James Reid-1.jpg

Along with some other Specialized supported riders, James will be riding the S-Works Epic FSR Torch Edition frame at the Rio Olympics. The Torch edition is so named as it changes colour from orange to yellow when the frame materials reach 22 degrees, mimicking a flickering flame during the transition.

Specialized Epic Torch - James Reid-10.jpg

Specialized Epic Torch - James Reid-24.jpg
Specialized Epic Torch - James Reid-26.jpg

Specialized Epic Torch - James Reid-34.jpg

JP has fitted a brand new 2017 RockShox SID World Cup fork with Specialized’s Brain technology replacing the new Charger Damper system. The new fork makes use of Torque caps which makes use of a larger contact area where the end caps meet the fork dropouts the bond stronger and the wheel stiffer . The only problem is that these Torque caps are not readily available for non Boost applications. JP wasn’t having any of this and went and had the correct sized caps machined so that James’s bike could take advantage of this new feature. The shock is Specialized’s custom Fox FutureShock paired with a Brain inertia valve placed on the non-driveside chainstay. James prefers the firmer S-Tune on the shock which allows him to run lower pressures.

Specialized Epic Torch - James Reid-14.jpg
Specialized Epic Torch - James Reid-9.jpg

Specialized Epic Torch - James Reid-36.jpg

Despite SRAM sending James an XX1 Eagle 12-speed drivetrain, James has opted to stick with the 11-speed XX1. One reason is that he is familiar with the set up after racing on it all season, the other is that his ROTOR crankset, chainring and power meter are not yet compatible with the 12-speed technology. James is somewhat of a data geek and relies on the information his power meter provides during races.

Specialized Epic Torch - James Reid-12.jpg

In the cockpit the S-Works theme continues, with a S-Work carbon handlebar and seatpost as well as an S-Works Power saddle. James rides his bike slammed with a negative 17 degree 110 mm Specialized stem. The grips are the silicone type made by Supacaz.

Specialized Epic Torch - James Reid-13.jpg

JP is a perfectionist and where he can he will try to eke out every little last ounce of performance. He uses lighter grease on the bearings to improve their performance, especially in the suspension and wheels. He admits that it does not make a good long term solution but he strips the race bikes so regularly that it never becomes a problem. So do not try this at home people. Lighter titanium bolts are used where possible like on the disc rotors and pinch bolts. In other cases, JP drills a hole down the centre of the bolt to reduce weight, he also shaves off any unnecessary length. Things like the headset cap bolt which come on and off the bike regularly are left with more durable materials to avoid breaking and stripping.

Specialized Epic Torch - James Reid-35.jpg

Full specification:

• FrameS-Works Epic FSR Torch Edition
  • Fork2017 RockShox SID World Cup with Brain
  • ShockFOX/Specialized remote Mini Brain
  • HeadsetFSA
  • CranksetROTOR REX1
  • ChainringROTOR QX1 32T 76BCD
  • Bottom bracketCeramicSpeed
  • Stem S-Works 110 mm, negative 17 degree
  • SeatpostS-Works Carbon
  • HandlebarS-Works Carbon 750 mm
  • Rear derailleurSRAM XX1
  • BrakesSRAM Level Ultimate
  • ShiftersSRAM XX1
  • SaddleS-Works Power Saddle 143 mm
  • RimsRoval Control SL 29
  • HubsRoval with DT Swiss internals
  • CassetteSRAM XX1
  • Front tyreS-Works Fast Trak 29 x 2.2
  • Rear tyreS-Works Renegade 29 x 1.95
  • GripsSupacaz Siliconez SL
  • Bottle cageSpecialized Zee Cage

Related posts

Comments

Patchelicious

Aug 15, 2016, 10:58 AM

That blue shock.... It's, well, shocking!!

Aug 15, 2016, 11:05 AM

no RS-1? Interesting...

TheJ

Aug 15, 2016, 11:09 AM

Nicest thing is the paintjob.

Ttocs

Aug 15, 2016, 11:09 AM

So the rumours are true, 2017 Specialized bikes don't come standard with RS-1 forks anymore.

Interesting to see that Kulhvey and Anneke are on RS-1 forks.

All in all a really great looking machine and sure James will do it justice.

tcgoosen9@gmail.com

Aug 15, 2016, 11:11 AM

All the best James!!!

Nick

Aug 15, 2016, 11:12 AM

no RS-1? Interesting...

I believe the new SID is lighter than the RS-1 and early reports suggest that the performance is pretty good too.

Nick

Aug 15, 2016, 11:14 AM

So the rumours are true, 2017 Specialized bikes don't come standard with RS-1 forks anymore.

Interesting to see that Kulhvey and Anneke are on RS-1 forks.

All in all a really great looking machine and sure James will do it justice.

This bike is a custom build for James. I wouldn't read too much into it for the retail models.

G e r h a r d Odendaal

Aug 15, 2016, 11:18 AM

shimano fired sworks Epics come with RS-1 Brain fork. The SRAM models with the older type Rockshox SID brain. (saw this according to their website.)

shaper

Aug 15, 2016, 11:29 AM

Where is Gen?, she loves the changing paint job of the Spez for Rio ;)

Aug 15, 2016, 11:29 AM

I believe the new SID is lighter than the RS-1 and early reports suggest that the performance is pretty good too.

If this was really the case, why would they have their best candidate (JK) for a win on the heavier option? 

Nick

Aug 15, 2016, 11:39 AM

If this was really the case, why would they have their best candidate (JK) for a win on the heavier option? 

According to the SRAM website: SID World Cup - 1366g; RS-1 1666g.

I'm not sure Jaroslav will ride an RS-1 in Rio. Here's a video of him without one in training:
dev null

Aug 15, 2016, 12:15 PM

No flaming paint job will make up for the fact that it is a Spez.  :whistling:  :ph34r:

Gen

Aug 15, 2016, 12:17 PM

Where is Gen?, she loves the changing paint job of the Spez for Rio ;)

Here here.

The one sworks helmet also changes colour.. complete mind (you know what)[emoji6]

Gen

Aug 15, 2016, 12:18 PM

No flaming paint job will make up for the fact that it is a Spez. :whistling: :ph34r:

Until Sagan gets on it.[emoji12]
Fisan

Aug 15, 2016, 12:36 PM

According to the SRAM website: SID World Cup - 1366g; RS-1 1666g.

I'm not sure Jaroslav will ride an RS-1 in Rio. Here's a video of him without one in training:

So my Reba (1662G) is "lighter" than a fancybutt RS-1 (1666g)? Apart from the appeal (it really has that drool factor..) what's the point of the RS-1 again?

GrahamS2

Aug 15, 2016, 12:39 PM

RS1 is far stiffer. Ride one and you'll instantly know what I mean.

BaGearA

Aug 15, 2016, 12:40 PM

The weight saving game is mind blowing to me , uses titanium bolts but also drills holes in the centre to make them MORE light weight ....not sure I would risk a snapped bolt in the olimpic race even if it saves .00098 of a gram per bolt 

Aug 15, 2016, 12:46 PM

RS1 is far stiffer. Ride one and you'll instantly know what I mean.

I'll have to take your word for it, way above my pay-grade to own one.

Spoke101

Aug 15, 2016, 12:59 PM

The weight saving game is mind blowing to me , uses titanium bolts but also drills holes in the centre to make them MORE light weight ....not sure I would risk a snapped bolt in the olimpic race even if it saves .00098 of a gram per bolt 

Lots of the top guys will run 3 Ti rotor bolt so save weight.

rock

Aug 15, 2016, 1:16 PM

I think RS had to come out with something to match the lightweight Fox that others are on.

Cool to see him getting some of the international treatment.

TheJ

Aug 15, 2016, 1:27 PM

Lots of the top guys will run 3 Ti rotor bolt so save weight.

I have for years. Never a problem. Read years ago that Geoff Kabush does it, and he isn't a small chap. If is works for him, guess what.

rock

Aug 15, 2016, 2:00 PM

after this special edition for Sydney I would have thought that would have come up with a RioS-1

http://img-cdn.jg.jugem.jp/c0c/742262/20110403_890924.jpg

johnson

Aug 15, 2016, 2:23 PM

Nicest thing is the paintjob.

Here here.

The one sworks helmet also changes colour.. complete mind (you know what)[emoji6]

No big deal ! Hot Wheels had this back in the 80's  :ph34r:  :whistling:

post-62204-0-58480300-1471270928_thumb.jpg

Captain Fastbastard Mayhem

Aug 15, 2016, 2:26 PM

No big deal ! Hot Wheels had this back in '08 :ph34r: :whistling:

Waaaaaaaay before then, dude...

Add a comment

You must log in to comment