Tech

Bike Hub’s 2017 Sock Off

· By Bike Hub Features · 133 comments

Sock doping is a key component of successful cycling, and essential for showing off your calf gains. Here’s our guide to some of the socks that are available locally, to keep you looking good, both on the bike and in the coffee shop.

Versus Socks

Versus shot into the sock doping hall of fame with their legendary turquoise and yellow banana socks. They have successfully followed up with a range of funky socks in fun designs to accentuate almost any kit and bike combo. Their Summer Party range includes mouthwatering liquorice, pineapple, ice cream and watermelon designs. Away from the flash of the funky socks ranges, Versus also do more understated designs using solid colours with lines and stripes.

ccs-58780-0-50412500-1484750897.jpg

Versus Socks are widely available at bike shops, and more conveniently, online here, and delivery is free if you order four pairs or more. Prices range from R90 to R110 per pair depending on the model and design.

On the foot, the Versus socks look the part, and feel inoffensive. Repeated washing does cause them to fade and fray quickly around the graphics, but for fun factor they are up there with the best. The trail socks are a bit shorter and feature a much thicker material with a double cuff for better protection and durability but they are a bit warmer in summer.

ccs-62657-0-69077800-1485344191.jpg

Verdict

Comfort
Durability
Style
Price

R110

Sox Footwear

Sox are relative newcomers to the local sock game. Their range features mainly simple designs in eye-catching colours. The socks sell for R119 per pair, and are available online here. Delivery is free if you buy three or more pairs.

When worn the Sox have a comfortable fit, they feel light and breathable, but not thin and flimsy. This is achieved by using a variety of material types in different areas of the sock – the stretchy fabric over the ankle helps with comfort, fit, and cooling while the thicker panel over the ball of the foot provides some relief. The length is spot on, and the bright colours are unmissable on the road and trail.

ccs-58780-0-05482500-1484749132.jpg

ccs-58780-0-21176600-1484749133.jpg
ccs-58780-0-37974000-1484749135.jpg
My personal favourites are the Sox Footwear Orange Infinity Bike socks. The colour is electric and unmissable on the road or mountain, the length is perfect for me, they are comfortable, and seem to be withstanding repeated washing and wearing without fading, bobbling, or fraying. At R119 per sock they are not the cheapest out there, but the extra R20 may be worthwhile in terms of sock life.

Verdict

Comfort
Durability
Style
Price

R119

Sexy Socks

Founded locally in 2014, Sexy Socks focus on giving back. For every pair of socks sold, a pair is donated to a child in one of South Africa’s township schools. They can be found in 60 stores countrywide (the list is on the website), or can be ordered online here. The cycling range features 6 designs, with predominantly simple, eye-catching geometric patterns, and they retail for R149 per pair.

Sexy Socks look set to make great winter socks. The double cuff means they are thicker than the others, and this does make them seem warmer when you first put them on, but is not noticeable while riding. They have shown no signs of wear and tear after washing, and the quality and comfort is unparalleled.

ccs-58780-0-66615200-1484750395.jpg

ccs-58780-0-84898800-1484750394.jpg
ccs-58780-0-28905400-1484750396.jpg
The sexy socks are the perfect length and I really like supporting the cause. They cost a bit more than some of the others, but it basically comes down to buy 1 get 1 free, with the second pair going to a kid in need. I can get behind that.

Verdict

Comfort
Durability
Style
Price

R149

The Cyclist Co.

Another local company, The Cyclist Co. offer a range of products centred around the cycling lifestyle: socks, off bike apparel, coffee and cycling-inspired art. The socks feature a classic striped design and are available in a range of 5 colours. They retail for R100 a pair and can be ordered online here. Delivery is R50 countrywide or free if you spend R500 or more.

ccs-58780-0-67038400-1484749523.jpg

The Cyclist Co. striped design blends classic and fun. The socks are light and breathable, but on the long side if you have short legs. Two of our four testers have developed holes in their socks during the four-month test period, but the colours have withstood washing well.

ccs-58780-0-95286500-1484749524.jpg

Verdict

Comfort
Durability
Style
Price

R100

Trace Apparel

Probably the most recent of all the newcomers to the South African sock scene, Trace Apparel are currently available at Olympic Cycles, and online here. They are available in six colourful designs, retailing for R100 per pair.

The Trace Apparel socks are a comfortable fit and forget affair. They use thicker material on the heel and toes which works well to provide padding and protection. The colour of our pre-production sample socks has faded slightly after a few mud baths and washes but they still maintain their original charm.

ccs-58780-0-93361900-1484750149.jpg

ccs-58780-0-73522600-1484749895.jpg
ccs-58780-0-28947300-1484749896.jpg
It’s the natural design themes of the Trace Apparel socks that I like most. The pointy mountain peaks and wavey ocean scenes are images I associate with the same peace I get from mountain biking. For those motivated more by power there is also the thunderbolt design.

Verdict

Comfort
Durability
Style
Price

R100

MB Wear FUN Socks

An international brand, handmade in Italy and available from Chris Willemse Cycles, for the hefty sum of R399 per pair. They include technological features like a thin polypropylene layer at contact points to reduce vibrations and jarring, a hexagonal design to improve moisture wicking, and silver ions for anti-bacterial properties.

The designs are beautifully detailed and intricate, and they are as comfortable as the price tag suggests. But on the foot the material stretches and the colours fade somewhat as the pattern is deformed. They are the lightest socks we tested, at 30g per pair, so if you are a serious weight weenie, and not on a budget they may be worth a look.

ccs-58780-0-68861900-1484749852.jpg

Verdict

Comfort
Durability
Style
Price

R399

Comments

Meezo

Jan 25, 2017, 12:11 PM

so who won?

coppi

Jan 25, 2017, 12:12 PM

How about running a poll on those items of choice?

Warren_G

Jan 25, 2017, 12:18 PM

Bootleggers Kalk Bay! I must be drinking more coffee than riding!

Shebeen

Jan 25, 2017, 12:36 PM

socks are socks. don't waste your money

Warren_G

Jan 25, 2017, 12:47 PM

huh? ok then bikes are bikes don't waste your money :lol:

BaGearA

Jan 25, 2017, 12:50 PM

THIS 1000000000000000 times over !!!!!!!!!!!!!

I so rather spend A 150 bucks on 5 pairs of no name shimano socks or Trail fees or Wheel bearings.

Socks are not going to improve my ride but a bike that runs good or a day pass to a good park will.

YOU DON't  have to share my sentiment !! 

Power to all you sock dopers out there  :thumbup:

Robbow

Jan 25, 2017, 12:50 PM

Sorry to say but the SOX Footwear socks are not great.

I bought a pair as they are funky looking (Red Mustache), but after 1 ride have got holes in both socks. 1 above the laces on my right foot and 1 in the heel on the left foot. They have also started to fray after a few washes.

Pity as I was super keen to add those Orange ones to my pile of kit

Warren_G

Jan 25, 2017, 12:57 PM

I bought a pair as they are funky looking (Red Mustache), but after 1 ride have got holes in both socks. 1 above the laces on my right foot and 1 in the heel on the left foot. They have also started to fray after a few washes.

Thanks for the inside info, not that keen on local brands to be honest as the quality is still not that of imports that said Versus seems the best of the local stuff, I have 5 pairs :lol:

Sepia

Jan 25, 2017, 1:11 PM

Well said BA.  

I thought I would try socks I saw at The Crazy Store 3prs for R50.  100% cotton so they don't hold shape but are fine/great for cycling.  love these and are so worth it as i also wear them to work every day.

Happy days.

rock

Jan 25, 2017, 1:14 PM

this is getting out of hand. i'm all for quality and have fallen victim to some early trends, defeet lumo socks come to mind, just give me well priced, high quality long black socks, 

Warren_G

Jan 25, 2017, 1:19 PM

THIS 1000000000000000 times over !!!!!!!!!!!!!

I so rather spend A 150 bucks on 5 pairs of no name shimano socks or Trail fees or Wheel bearings.

Socks are not going to improve my ride but a bike that runs good or a day pass to a good park will.

YOU DON't  have to share my sentiment !! 

Power to all you sock dopers out there  :thumbup:

Well said BA.  

I thought I would try socks I saw at The Crazy Store 3prs for R50.  100% cotton so they don't hold shape but are fine/great for cycling.  love these and are so worth it as i also wear them to work every day.

Happy days.

I take it you guys aren't really into fashion then...

I find a good pair of socks does improve my ride both physically and mentally (look good...feel good...perform) and if they're colourful that's a bonus!

If we were to only go with function over form/fashion the world would be a boring place. 

To each her/his own.

Nick

Jan 25, 2017, 1:36 PM

My orange pair are my go to socks, especially on the road (excellent visibility). They've seen a lot of action. No holes yet *fingers crossed*

Chavo

Jan 25, 2017, 1:38 PM

There should have been an extra category of 'Value' under Verdict. R399 for a pair of socks is pretty weak value as far as I'm concerned, regardless of how comfy they are

BaGearA

Jan 25, 2017, 1:48 PM

My R30 "XTR" socks last about 8 months of general enduro riding (if I don't fall and write them off) 

They keep my feet comfortable on longs days when I also have to hike up hills like hakahana

and that is all I want want form a sock and that is what they give. 

Plain simple and cheap and no Media hype to try and justify my 140 bucks socks ( I did not even know there are socks that cost 400 bucks F0k ! :eek:

Velouria

Jan 25, 2017, 1:56 PM

Saw this on Twitter last night:

https://twitter.com/david_moseley/status/823549767351410688

Patchelicious

Jan 25, 2017, 2:08 PM

Moseley calling people wankers is like Cliff calling people douche bags.

Velouria

Jan 25, 2017, 2:19 PM

Moseley calling people wankers is like Cliff calling people douche bags.

Gareth Cliff is mostly right (I can't comment on David Moseley though).

In cases like this, I like to refer back to The Rules.

Rule #28 // Socks can be any damn colour you like.

"White is old school cool. Black is cool too, but were given a bad image by a Texan whose were too long.  If you feel you must go colored, make sure they damn well match your kit."

Gandalf

3 pairs of Nissan trailseeker socks from 2013/14. 2017 and they are still going strong.

Price: included in race entry.

Winning.

Sepia

I take it you guys aren't really into fashion then...

I find a good pair of socks does improve my ride both physically and mentally (look good...feel good...perform) and if they're colourful that's a bonus!

If we were to only go with function over form/fashion the world would be a boring place. 

To each her/his own.

The socks are flipping in fashion!  Sorry to say this because fashion is out of fashion.

Baby blue with yellow stripes.  Maybe I should post a pic.

Jewbacca

Jan 25, 2017, 2:35 PM

Ankle socks... I have always worn ankle socks. To work, on the road, on the mtb. Up until 18 months ago no one cared as they enjoyed my company . 

The same people now will say 'you can't ride on the road with those..' as well as pretend not to know me when other more hip cyclists enter the fray.

Quoting and following rules that were written as pure Irony ups their stakes to level 7 gazillion. Irony.

This sock doping thing is out of hand. One must remember that cocaine was fashionable in the '80's as well. Doesn't make it acceptable.... 

Hamstring

Jan 25, 2017, 2:38 PM

Hhttp://picture-cdn.wheretoget.it/5zjiwo-l-610x610-underwear-****+socks.jpg

How about a pair of these for the sock haters.

bikebloke

Jan 25, 2017, 2:43 PM

its sacrilege to wear boring socks while out cycling .... :blink:

and its a safety issue you are much more visible with loud colourful socks spinning around on the sides of your bike .... :thumbup:

J∆kk∆ls

Jan 25, 2017, 2:49 PM

No love for http://sako7.com ?

Ships local, goes international! hence the $ tag 

Yes they are pricey, but it is cycling after all! 

J∆kk∆ls

Jan 25, 2017, 2:52 PM

My Favourite socks are from The Cyclist Co. However I have big feet (46) so they are beginning to show strain :( 

Add a comment

You must log in to comment