Tech

Bikes of the Epic: Louis-Bresler Knipe’s Pyga Stage

· By BikeHubCoreAdmin · 29 comments

Some say that being a mechanic at the Absa Cape Epic is almost as tough as riding the race itself. Louis-Bresler Knipe did both this year and, with his partner Francois Theron, still finished in 41st place overall.

While Knipe prefers running his Pyga Stage with 110 mm travel in the rear for every day use, he dropped it to 95mm for the Absa Cape Epic. He did however keep the RS-1 fork at 120mm. The carbon hoops from cSixx hoops continue the South African flavour and orange colour theme. While FRM components provide some weight saving in the cockpit.

Pyga Stage 1-1.jpg

Specification list:

• FramePyga Stage
  • ForkRockshox RS-1 120mm
  • ShockRockshox Monarch XX 95mm
  • RimscSixx 29 XCO Carbon
  • Front HubSRAM
  • Rear HubNovatec
  • Front TyreVittoria Mezcal 2.25
  • Rear TyreVittoria Mezcal 2.25
  • HandlebarsFRM Enduro Carbon
  • StemRitchey WCS 70mm
  • HeadsetCane Creek
  • BrakesSRAM Guide RS, SRAM Centreline 160mm rotors
  • ShiftersSRAM XX1
  • DerailleursSRAM XO1
  • CassetteSRAM XX1
  • CranksetSRAM XO
  • ChainringcSixx 32T
  • ChainSRAM X1
  • PedalsLook S-Track
  • SeatpostFRM Carbon
  • SaddleSpecialized Power Saddle

Pyga Stage Louis Bresler Knipe-11.jpg

Pyga Stage Louis Bresler Knipe-5.jpg
Pyga Stage Louis Bresler Knipe-3.jpg

Pyga Stage Louis Bresler Knipe-6.jpg

Pyga Stage Louis Bresler Knipe-7.jpg
Pyga Stage Louis Bresler Knipe-9.jpg

Pyga Stage Louis Bresler Knipe-2.jpg

Pyga Stage Louis Bresler Knipe-4.jpg
Pyga Stage Louis Bresler Knipe-8.jpg

Pyga Stage Louis Bresler Knipe-10.jpg

Related posts

Comments

heini

Mar 20, 2016, 4:39 PM

What a beauty !!!!

Rick Sanchez

Mar 20, 2016, 5:32 PM

What effect would it have to run the rear travel at 95 versus 110mm?

Why would it be better in this case?

NotSoBigBen

Mar 20, 2016, 5:52 PM

I assume a specific bottle cage will work well on that 'under top tube' mount .... My son's GT FS has the same and bottles don't stay in a normal type cage. Any suggestions? Side entry perhaps .......

Rick Sanchez

Mar 20, 2016, 6:11 PM

I assume a specific bottle cage will work well on that 'under top tube' mount .... My son's GT FS has the same and bottles don't stay in a normal type cage. Any suggestions? Side entry perhaps .......

Some bottles also work better. USN bottles seem a bit wider and have stayed in for me after losing a number of bottles because they kept falling out

Tatt

Mar 20, 2016, 6:34 PM

I use specialized side entry and camelbak bottles. They've just rattled around for 600 kays and didn't lose one.

Tom

Shebeen

Mar 20, 2016, 6:43 PM

When I had an under mount bottle cage I just looped in a section of shock cord. Keeps the bottle in place, and then you unhook it when the main bottle is done and swap it over. Thats assuming you have the same mix in both bottles.

Were there lots of these in the race? Pretty much designed for the event, not?

Mopkop

Mar 20, 2016, 9:33 PM

Very surprised to see Louis running Mezcal Front and Rear especially with the terrain they rode. The grip for front is horrible in my experience of maybe im just a crap rider, ahahahahah

90 Inch

Mar 21, 2016, 7:28 AM

Front grip is no issue, Louis front wheel spends most of the time in the air

justanotherbiker

Mar 21, 2016, 7:31 AM

Thanks for these great articles, Bike Hub. I'm truly glad I found this forum while taking up cycling again.

CAAD4

Mar 21, 2016, 8:59 AM

Ben I know you smaak the Spaz onderbroek, but I know you also like value. If going side entry, just ask Justin for the Giant ones. Same thing, without the marketing hype...

raptor-22

Mar 21, 2016, 9:03 AM

why no pics of the riders with their bikes?

raptor-22

Mar 21, 2016, 9:03 AM

Very surprised to see Louis running Mezcal Front and Rear especially with the terrain they rode. The grip for front is horrible in my experience of maybe im just a crap rider, ahahahahah

???

The mezcal offers more grip than other tyres

Tatt

Mar 21, 2016, 10:10 AM

why no pics of the riders with their bikes?

I've got the most amazing pic with me on my Stage in the background. Will post it if I get permission to use it!

Otherwise you can search Chris Opperman on FB - the dude takes stunning pics!

Not as good or high up the leaderboard as LK, but for a backmarker the Max was superb. Probably around 10 Stages in the race altogether.

Tom

Tom

BrandonF_

Mar 21, 2016, 10:44 AM

???

The mezcal offers more grip than other tyres

My best downhill times on Mezcals, more than enough cornering grip. With the extra width now available from the older 2.1 GEAX, can just imagine how good these must be!

EmptyB

Mar 21, 2016, 11:51 AM

What a beautiful bike!!!

Mopkop

Mar 21, 2016, 12:43 PM

My best downhill times on Mezcals, more than enough cornering grip. With the extra width now available from the older 2.1 GEAX, can just imagine how good these must be!

I had the 2.1's. Went Barzo on the front and this just felt way better. Maybe I should give the new 2.2's a go!

BrandonF_

Mar 21, 2016, 1:18 PM

I had the 2.1's. Went Barzo on the front and this just felt way better. Maybe I should give the new 2.2's a go!

The price tag puts me off the new ones tho ????

http://www.evobikes.co.za/tyres/mtb-29er-tyres/new-vittoria-mezcal-29-x-2-25-tnt-g.html

Old versions were often on sale for R350-R400ea..

nox1111

Mar 22, 2016, 5:41 AM

Sheesh, that's a lekker bike!

Mopkop

Mar 22, 2016, 7:15 AM

The price tag puts me off the new ones tho

http://www.evobikes.co.za/tyres/mtb-29er-tyres/new-vittoria-mezcal-29-x-2-25-tnt-g.html

Old versions were often on sale for R350-R400ea..

I see the profile/tread pattern is totally different from the mezcal I'm using. This new one looks like the business!! Price = EINA tho

Mawbs

Mar 22, 2016, 7:51 AM

I bought a Mezcal G+ for my Trance and running it on the rear and have to say so far im impressed. Definately seems to have more grip than the Saguaro i was running and its also a bit wider. Rolls really well and hopefully it will be durable. Im tempted to give it a try on the front to see how it handles, presently runnning a NNic on front. 

tubed

Mar 22, 2016, 6:38 PM

I liked Louis' frankness about starting on a 34 up front, calling for a 32 and finally settling for a 30 some days in, Lill replied that he sees no need even at the sharp end to be on anything more than 32.

Makes one think what a beast Coolharvey was on a 36! 

Lekker posts Nic - by far the best feature of the Epic, ok maybe close to that was the GoPro clowns for entertainment

tubed

Mar 22, 2016, 6:44 PM

PS: surely not a 'cheap' Novatec hub at the back!!

Actually it goes to show that when a sponsor is not dictating what you ride and rather a damn fine rider and bike mechanic builds his race bike - this what it probably should look like.

Nice one Louis. 

FARMBIKE

Mar 22, 2016, 7:22 PM

And Louis has fine style !!

post-12472-0-77858100-1458674464_thumb.jpg

post-12472-0-63373900-1458674502_thumb.jpg

Matt

Mar 22, 2016, 7:51 PM

PS: surely not a 'cheap' Novatec hub at the back!!

Actually it goes to show that when a sponsor is not dictating what you ride and rather a damn fine rider and bike mechanic builds his race bike - this what it probably should look like.

Nice one Louis. 

Louis did mention it he'd built up the wheels on short notice and the Novatec was all he had available, but it did the job just fine.

Add a comment

You must log in to comment