Tech

Canyon bicycles now available direct to South Africa

· By Press Office · 441 comments

Canyon Bicycles GmbH will expand its portfolio of distributing nations with the addition of South Africa, a country of riding enthusiasts that shows high demand for quality, German-engineered bikes.

As pioneers of online direct sales in the bike industry, South African riders will have direct access to the entire Canyon product range of award-winning road, mountain, triathlon, urban, fitness and kids bikes via the company’s website, www.canyon.com. Every order will be handled centrally at Canyon’s Global Service Center in Germany, with bikes then assembled and shipped directly to riders in South Africa from the Canyon Factory in Koblenz.

ccs-2-0-95946300-1518108938.jpg

Canyon stands for “Pure Cycling”, which Founder & CEO Roman Arnold has kept in firm view since day one of his company: “’Pure Cycling is about giving every rider in the world access to the best bike possible. It’s not just about winning awards for technical innovation, or the outstanding value our direct sales concept offers. Instead, riders who would not normally be able to get their hands on high performance products where they live can come directly to us, and we can give them what they want.” Canyon delivers pre-assembled bikes directly to riders’ homes in their patented Canyon Bike Guard. In just a few steps out of the box, the bike is ready-to-ride.

South African mountain biking pro, Erik Kleinhans of Canyon Topeak Factory Racing, has competed on Canyon since 2016. “It’s super exciting that Canyon is now directly available in my home country. I can truly vouch for the performance of their bikes after racing their Exceed CF SLX and Lux CF models around the world the past three seasons. Now we are building for the start of the Absa Cape Epic in mid-March, right on my doorstep, where I hope we can deliver some great results!”

Canyon products are distributed around the world and are regularly singled out for recognition by the global cycling press and beyond in general interest media. The brand is famed for its engineering-first approach and devotion to simple, precise and dynamic designs.

Recently, Canyon received the prestigious title, “Red Dot: Design Team of the Year,” becoming the first bike brand ever to win the award.

ccs-2-0-86486100-1518100920.jpg

Comments

Grease_Monkey

Feb 8, 2018, 2:21 PM

Oh yessss!!!!

ShanRam

Feb 8, 2018, 2:29 PM

now i need to find money

Capricorn

Feb 8, 2018, 2:50 PM

about time! yummy!

Li Mu Bai

Feb 8, 2018, 3:08 PM

Finally! :thumbup:

Nibali

Feb 8, 2018, 3:16 PM

I saw a Zipp sale on their email and played around to see prices and so on. Didn't really click until now that it automatically showed (and priced) shipping to SA. Awesome news though :clap:

Can't remember price of shipping though.

Patchelicious

Feb 8, 2018, 3:46 PM

Oh yay, there goes half the point of me wanting one...

Eon du Plessis

Feb 8, 2018, 3:57 PM

Oh dear...

Looks like shipping is USD299. Not too awful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BigToe

Feb 8, 2018, 4:02 PM

:ph34r:  :whistling:  don't order one they aren't great and probably wont handle very well...especially the one in my size with etap and disc brakes..and with a tubeless set up it is likely to be even less comfy especially on that one model the Endurace...nasty piece of work that!   :ph34r:  :whistling:  :whistling:  :whistling:

Rather get a Spez or Trek or something solid like that!  :thumbup:

Patchelicious

Feb 8, 2018, 4:09 PM

Oh dear...

BA les you take a bike bag of up to 23kgs for free.... just saying, don’t let Lex see!

jamiecanter

Feb 8, 2018, 4:13 PM

Anyone have any idea if VAT/Duties will be applied?

CAAD4

Feb 8, 2018, 4:21 PM

On complete bikes? Of course.

Andreas_187

Feb 8, 2018, 4:22 PM

For $300 delivery it makes no sense.

lechatnoir

Feb 8, 2018, 4:46 PM

:ph34r:  :whistling:  don't order one they aren't great and probably wont handle very well...especially the one in my size with etap and disc brakes..and with a tubeless set up it is likely to be even less comfy especially on that one model the Endurace...nasty piece of work that!   :ph34r:  :whistling:  :whistling:  :whistling:

Rather get a Spez or Trek or something solid like that!  :thumbup:

No. No it doesn't. it's terrible. i wish i'd kept my old bike

'Dale

Feb 8, 2018, 4:52 PM

I want eTap in my life

????

Dieter ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Feb 8, 2018, 4:56 PM

Now available, still unattainable.

BluffGrunter

Feb 8, 2018, 5:12 PM

Anyone know how to work out customs

Patensie

Feb 8, 2018, 5:20 PM

Anyone know how to work out customs

ask Lexx, but ×1.33 should get you to a not materially misstated answer.
lechatnoir

Feb 8, 2018, 6:44 PM

For $300 delivery it makes no sense.

How so? try getting a quote from one of the big courier companies. Make sure you're sitting though.

Andreas_187

Feb 8, 2018, 6:48 PM

How so? try getting a quote from one of the big courier companies. Make sure you're sitting though.

It would have been good news if they were bringing bikes over and not shipping bikes one by one.
timwightman

Feb 8, 2018, 7:00 PM

Looks like 26.25% duty

http://www.sars.gov.za/AllDocs/LegalDoclib/SCEA1964/LAPD-LPrim-Tariff-2012-04%20-%20Schedule%20No%201%20Part%201%20Chapters%201%20to%2099.pdf

Page 618.

Then add 14% VAT on top the price, including the shipping.

Base price looks pretty good, but add in other costs and it looks less inviting.  Better to fly over to Europe and pick one up, get it a bit muddy and bring it home.  :) 

Thomo

Feb 8, 2018, 7:17 PM

Oh dear...

Canyon indicated closer to $500 a couple of weeks ago when I enquired.

BigToe

Feb 8, 2018, 7:26 PM

Canyon indicated closer to $500 a couple of weeks ago when I enquired.

It was $495, then someone at Canyon went to ask and it became $299...

lechatnoir

Feb 8, 2018, 8:41 PM

It would have been good news if they were bringing bikes over and not shipping bikes one by one.

Yeah, I get that too but Canyon are mail order only. That's their business model. Seems to work for them

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

FootballingCyclist

Feb 8, 2018, 8:57 PM

I wonder if it's because Willie Smit is now riding them that they feel there is a market in SA ....

Add a comment

You must log in to comment