Tech

Canyon introduce new, lighter Exceed with updated geometry and CFR options

· By Press Office · 32 comments

Press release

The original Exceed was raced to World Championship victory, shattered the course record at Leadville, and repeatedly rocketed to World Cup podiums at Albstadt, Cairns, Nove Mesto, and Val di Sole. How do you improve on all that? Like this. The all new Exceed is lighter, stiffer, and carries you over rough courses with absolute control.

ccs-62657-0-38069400-1597602546.jpgThe Exceed CFR Team.

CFR – This Is The New Speed Of Light

The new Exceed CFR (Canyon Factory Racing) possesses one of the lightest production frames on earth. Bold claims aside, here are the facts: Our premier, carbon CFR frame tips the scales at a mere 835 grams. That’s astonishing. More to the point, it’s what gets you to the top of the climb and across the finish line first.

ccs-62657-0-89816500-1597602159.jpg

Enter The Unicorn

The CFR is one of the very few bikes in the world to utilise something we call “unicorn hair” — an uncommon carbon fibre (Toray M40X) that is so cost prohibitive and hard to come by that it’s rarely used in the cycling industry. We also call the stuff unicorn hair because it is both stiff and strong. In the world of carbon fibre, that’s an even rarer thing…and it’s what enabled us to make the CFR so damn light. Generally speaking, particularly strong carbon fibres are not particularly stiff and stiff fibres are not particularly strong. Because unicorn hair is both strong and stiff, we can add fewer reinforcing fibres to the frame and create an astonishingly lightweight bike without sacrificing strength or stiffness. Light plus strong, plus stiff…equals victory.

ccs-62657-0-77855100-1597602227.jpg

Cutting Edge Carbon… For All

We believe every rider should have the best possible bike no matter their budget. That principle is one of the things that sets Canyon apart and it’s why every Canyon Exceed frame possesses the same core features and is built using the same carbon moulding process. All the geeky bells and whistles you’ll find on the Canyon Factory Racing “CFR” model (including our exacting tube profiles, integrated seatpost clamp, Impact Protection Unit, dropper post compatibility, Quixle, etc) are also featured on our more afford- able models.

ccs-62657-0-74825000-1597602264.jpg

ccs-62657-0-92318700-1597602297.jpeg
ccs-62657-0-88806600-1597602298.jpeg
ccs-62657-0-93758900-1597602299.jpeg

So, what’s the actual difference between the Exceed CFR, SLX, and CF frame platforms? The exact blend of carbon materials and composite layup differ, yielding very similar stiffness and ride quality, but at varying stiffness to weight ratios. Or to be less nerdy about it, as you go up the line, the frames get lighter. All frame weights below are for size Medium and (per the DIN standard) include artwork, chain suck plate, chainstay protector, integrated seatpost clamp, and universal derailleur hanger.

CFR FRAME WEIGHT: 835G
SLX FRAME WEIGHT: 1,015G
CF FRAME WEIGHT: 1,312G

ccs-62657-0-78704900-1597602461.jpg

Complete Control

It’s no secret–World Cup cross country courses have gotten rowdy. That’s why we gave the new Exceed a thoroughly modern yet balanced geometry that boosts your control on tough terrain while still proving quick and nimble through the tightest trails. In practical terms, we slackened the head angle to 69 degrees, increased the reach 10 millimetres, moved to 80 millimetre stems on all frame sizes, and shortened the rear centre 2 millimetres. The end result is a bike that’s both confident on tough descents and an absolute rocket on steep climbs and through tight corners.

ccs-62657-0-14517700-1597601394.png

Stellar Handling, In Every Size

It’s a simple principle: your bike should fit you — not the other way around. And, yet, frame geometry is often com- promised if you’re either short or tall. The Exceed boasts stellar handling in every frame size.

ccs-62657-0-34617300-1597602324.jpg

The new Exceed features 29er wheels and room for two water bottles, even in the new XS size, which fits riders down to 158cm (5’2”). What’s more, we continue to equip the Exceed with frame size specific chainstays. Chainstay length grows on Large and X Large frames, giving riders of all heights ideal weight distribution and superior handling.

Built For Speed

While we obsessed over every detail of the new Exceed frame, we paid just as keen attention to each component fitted to that frame. CFR and SLX models feature a new, full carbon mountain bike cockpit that tidies up your handlebar/front end while providing you with an aero- dynamic riding position that shaves precious seconds from your best efforts.

ccs-62657-0-85329900-1597602353.jpg

ccs-62657-0-61266500-1597602395.jpg
ccs-62657-0-54257600-1597602396.jpg

What’s more, we partnered with DT Swiss to create ultra-light dropper posts specifically for the Exceed. The novel droppers are available in carbon (CFR) and aluminium (SLX) and provide racers with 60mm of seat height adjustability. More to the point, the DT Posts are among the lightest production dropper posts available today, weighing in at 390 grams (carbon post with remote) and 420 grams (alloy post with remote). We build every Exceed to be that rare combination of uncompromising performance and outstanding value.

ccs-62657-0-21392200-1597602144.jpgThe Exceed CFR LTD.

Every Detail Matters

Every Exceed is loaded with smart details that tangibly improve performance.

Frame Protection

Our Impact Protection Unit (IPU) protects the Exceed’s carbon frame by preventing the handlebars from over rotating into the top tube. We refined the IPU on the new Exceed, reducing its size and integrating it even more neatly within the frame.

ccs-62657-0-88516500-1597673289.png

Swank Clamp, Less Mess

We streamlined the new Exceed with an integrated seatpost clamp. Likewise, we reduced the potential for mud build up by equipping the Exceed with sludge shedding tube profiles, adopted from our World Championship winning Inflite cyclocross bike.

ccs-62657-0-52772200-1597673392.png

Clean Cable Routing

The new Exceed even takes tidy cable routing to a higher level. A novel headset design enables us to route the cables within the headset. This, in turn, allows for tighter cable routing with no loss in shifting performance or binding sensation in the steering. The end result is less cockpit clutter, a lighter steering feel, and a design that ultimately enabled us to create a lighter, stiffer headtube.

A Truly Universal Derailleur Hanger

We equipped the Exceed with a universal DERAILLEUR HANGER that protects your derailleur during impacts (by pivoting back and out of the way), improves day to day shifting performance and works with all drivetrains, should you upgrade at some point in the future.

Stiff, Precise, and Simple

Our Quixle through axle design boosts stiffness yet tucks neatly into the axle, providing easy, tool-free wheel removal.

ccs-62657-0-95947900-1597673460.jpg

Tags:

Comments

Wayne pudding Mol

Aug 18, 2020, 9:06 AM

looks a lot like my 6 year old open which is a compliment - Although my 6 year old open is a few grams lighter in a large

Nice looking bike

Darko

Aug 18, 2020, 9:10 AM

Is there a local shop that stocks Canyon bikes? 

Chris_

Aug 18, 2020, 9:13 AM

Is the graphic the same colour as the background or have they split the seat post ? 

(I feel this should be written in comic sans but I'm not even sure anymore...)

post-90313-0-77075800-1597741887_thumb.png

ivan888

Aug 18, 2020, 9:20 AM

:)

DieselnDust

Aug 18, 2020, 9:26 AM

Unicorn hair,.................

lighter stiffer longer lower slacker

fairy tales I tell you :)

Super Sywurm

Aug 18, 2020, 9:36 AM

No ways. They released a lighter and stiffer model? I can't believe it.

I will wait for the 2022 model because that is going to be even lighter and stiffer than the 2021 model which is lighter and stiffer than the 2020 model.

I also get lighter and stiffer as the years pass by.

Wayne pudding Mol

Aug 18, 2020, 9:39 AM

Is there a local shop that stocks Canyon bikes? 

canyon's model is online but they do have local backup so you could probably get a demo ride 

Super Sywurm

Aug 18, 2020, 9:42 AM

For some reason, I don't like this bike.

DJuice

Aug 18, 2020, 9:45 AM

Is the graphic the same colour as the background or have they split the seat post ? 

(I feel this should be written in comic sans but I'm not even sure anymore...)

attachicon.gifCapture.PNG

The seat post is split, flexes and provide comfort.

Already few years old.

Darko

Aug 18, 2020, 9:49 AM

canyon's model is online but they do have local backup so you could probably get a demo ride 

Thanks. I see they have a FB page, but I don't have an account so will have to call them so see what they have.

Chris_

Aug 18, 2020, 9:49 AM

The seat post is split, flexes and provide comfort.

Already few years old.

Wow, I've never heard of such a thing, cool thanks

Nick

Aug 18, 2020, 9:53 AM

Wow, I've never heard of such a thing, cool thanks

I tested it on an Endurace. It works really well on the road.

DieselnDust

Aug 18, 2020, 9:55 AM

Thanks. I see they have a FB page, but I don't have an account so will have to call them so see what they have.

if you go to the Canyon.com website it will ask for your location. Select SA and it will take to the local site with local pricing. They service and distribution centre is in Stellenbosch. They can arrange for a demo bike to a LBS near you. not sure if there's a cost associated

Underachiever

Aug 18, 2020, 10:28 AM

I also get lighter and stiffer as the years pass by.

Oh, I thought the reverse happens when you get older?

Darko

Aug 18, 2020, 11:47 AM

if you go to the Canyon.com website it will ask for your location. Select SA and it will take to the local site with local pricing. They service and distribution centre is in Stellenbosch. They can arrange for a demo bike to a LBS near you. not sure if there's a cost associated

Called them. On top of the shipping fees, there is also 2x 15% duties and taxes amounts which brings the price up substantially. 

Takes a R40k bike close to R60k at the end.

DieselnDust

Aug 18, 2020, 12:01 PM

Called them. On top of the shipping fees, there is also 2x 15% duties and taxes amounts which brings the price up substantially. 

15% import duty then 15% VAT. If you buy a frame then its only 15% VAT.

Jehosefat

Aug 18, 2020, 12:26 PM

The shipping etc. is expensive enough that it defeats the point on their lower-end bikes. On their higher-end bikes they can still work out cheaper for the same specs as you can get at your LBS on other brands.

15% import duty then 15% VAT. If you buy a frame then its only 15% VAT.

Theoretically yes. In practice it depends on which customs official you get and how they are feeling on the day. I've brought in two Canyon bikes (about 18-24 months apart) and I only paid VAT and no duties on both.

lechatnoir

Aug 18, 2020, 12:34 PM

Probably compare it to a 60k bike then?

Wayne pudding Mol

Aug 18, 2020, 2:09 PM

as I understand it, parts attract no duties but not sure if I have just been lucky. A frame is duty free

Ask them to disassemble and send 1 week apart with the invoice for the frame and the invoice for the parts - then vat only 

Someone agreed to do this for me and it worked

Darko

Aug 18, 2020, 3:02 PM

Probably compare it to a 60k bike then?

Agree with you, but they're marketing it as an entry level dual suspension bike. At R60k, there are pretty hefty bikes that are more value and have better parts etc. 

sirmoun10goat

Aug 18, 2020, 5:45 PM

Agree with you, but they're marketing it as an entry level dual suspension bike. At R60k, there are pretty hefty bikes that are more value and have better parts etc. 

Are we looking at the same bike - I see a HT

Darko

Aug 19, 2020, 6:03 AM

Are we looking at the same bike - I see a HT

Sorry about that. Didn't realise what the actual bike in the article was. I was just asking if there were any local dealers as the online ordering added hefty fees to the advertised price. 

I was referencing the Neuron AL. Listed for R41999. 

Hairy

Aug 19, 2020, 5:40 PM

It looks like the race for superlight XC HT frames is heating up!

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/lightest-production-hardtail-ever-2021-mondraker-podium.html

DieselnDust

Aug 19, 2020, 5:55 PM

Sorry about that. Didn't realise what the actual bike in the article was. I was just asking if there were any local dealers as the online ordering added hefty fees to the advertised price. 

I was referencing the Neuron AL. Listed for R41999. 

If the bike comes in under R50K and you haven't imported anything this year then you might get lucky with the import duty. I would definitely enquire if they can bring in the frame and parts separately.

Quite a lot of the distributors are doing his now to lower the duties paid.

Add a comment

You must log in to comment