Tech

Canyon launch all-new Aeroad

Supplied by Canyon.

· By Press Office · 38 comments

Press Release

In July 2014, Canyon unveiled the Aeroad CF SLX, a bike that would move the aero road bike game on considerably. Until this day, the Aeroad CF SLX has been held as a benchmark for overall aero road bike performance. It united clear aero­ dynamic gains, comfort, stiffness, lightness and an aggressive geometry in ways the competition had yet to succeed in doing. This generation of the Aeroad is arguably one of the most complete road racing bikes ever created.

ccs-62657-0-03297200-1601968905.jpg

Since its launch in July 2014, the previous Aeroad delivered an unprecedented combination of aerodynamics, comfort, stiffness, lightness – all built around an aggressive geometry. In short, it was one of the most complete road bikes ever made. And yet, the new Aeroad’s performance figures eclipse it in every way. It’s up to 74 watts faster. Up to 170 g lighter. Up to 14% stiffer. And all that with absolutely no drawbacks when it comes to the bike’s celebrated levels of comfort.

ccs-62657-0-80355700-1601968868.jpg

ccs-62657-0-76780900-1601969106.jpg
ccs-62657-0-80315300-1601969119.jpg

These outstanding results were achieved over a highly intensive three-year development period, during which our development departments worked in close collaboration with external partners, such as the aerodynamics experts at Swiss Side. However, it was never our goal to build the fastest bike in the wind tunnel — but to create a bike that was better overall and in every way. And the overwhelmingly positive feedback from our pro riders such as Mathieu van der Poel, Alejandro Valverde, Warren Barguil and Lisa Klein is testament to our success.

ccs-62657-0-86927200-1601969291.jpg

ccs-62657-0-83640200-1601969290.jpg
ccs-62657-0-01575100-1601969290.jpg

The Aeroad CF SLX and — for the first time! – Aeroad CFR come with the revolutionary, all-new CP0018 Aerocockpit, which features 15 mm of height adjustability without the need to alter the steerer tube length. This lets the rider raise up or slam the cockpit as many times as needed through the season, depending on riding scenario — training or racing, in groups or solo. In addition, the CP0018 is also width-adjustable up to 20 mm wider or narrower from the standard width as delivered. This unique feature, in addition to bike fit benefits, offers another advantage: to pack the new Aeroad ready for travel, the two cockpit ends can simply be folded down with no need to remove the handlebar.

ccs-62657-0-47738500-1601969955.jpg

All three versions – CF SL, CF SLX, and CFR – will feature the newly developed SP0046 seatpost, which is even more aerodynamic and just as comfortable as its predecessor.

ccs-62657-0-49266800-1601969544.jpg

ccs-62657-0-58361800-1601970290.jpg
ccs-62657-0-13929500-1601969547.jpg

What’s more, with their state-of-the-art design, the Aeroad CF SLX and CFR also have completely integrated cables and wires, with the CF SL featuring the tried-and-tested cockpit from the Aeroad RO50. The Aeroad CF SL also offers frame size-specific wheel sizing: sizes 2XS and the CF SL-exclusive 3XS roll on 650B wheels, so smaller riders also benefit from the Aeroad’s same outstanding riding dynamics. The Aeroad CF SLX and CFR feature 700C wheels across all sizes, up to the largest size, 2XL. And thanks to chainstays that are 5 mm shorter, and a combination of a 25 mm front and 28 mm rear tyre, the new Aeroad is even more agile. In terms of geometry, all three Aeroad platforms are identical.

ccs-62657-0-61638400-1601970322.jpg

Visit Canyon.com for all the Aeroad model details, specifications, and pricing.

Related posts

Comments

DR ◣◢

Oct 6, 2020, 4:08 PM

I’m not that into road bikes but I can appreciate a piece of art when I see it. Super clean lines.

Some good innovation there on the cockpit.

shaper

Oct 6, 2020, 4:35 PM

I like the handlebar detail !!

Schnavel

Oct 6, 2020, 4:37 PM

Nicely done Canyon, superb looking bike!

Let's hope they reinforced the top tube... 

*Edit: great detailing with the handlebar design - especially for travelling, as well as for adjustment purposes

Jon55

Oct 6, 2020, 4:58 PM

Good looking bike, but I can't believe they brag about the 7.26kg best spec model (let's assume around 7.4kg with pedals and all). This is for a $8000 bike LOL! The best part is they use Van Der Poel to market this. Who actually thinks if he had a choice that van der Poel would choose this mamil tech over a 6.9kg older rim version. 

Jewbacca

Oct 6, 2020, 5:06 PM

Good looking bike, but I can't believe they brag about the 7.26kg best spec model (let's assume around 7.4kg with pedals and all). This is for a $8000 bike LOL! The best part is they use Van Der Poel to market this. Who actually thinks if he had a choice that van der Poel would choose this mamil tech over a 6.9kg older rim version. 

A few days ago at the BinkBank

post-45765-0-69709500-1602003949_thumb.jpg

So I guess he does?

Jon55

Oct 6, 2020, 5:11 PM

A few days ago at the BinkBank

attachicon.gifdisc.jpg

So I guess he does?

Pro cyclists ride the bike they are given by the sponsors.

splat

Oct 6, 2020, 5:18 PM

Current marketing: Aero + Disc is more importanter than weight.

In reality, very few of the pro bikes are actually on the 6.8kg limit.

Jon55

Oct 6, 2020, 5:24 PM

Current marketing: Aero + Disc is more importanter than weight.

In reality, very few of the pro bikes are actually on the 6.8kg limit.

That's the marketing in 2020 for ya  :w00t:

Pogacar and Roglic both had 6.8kg bikes for this years tour. They were lucky as their teams went with performance > marketing.

Riaan H

Oct 6, 2020, 5:35 PM

Absolutely gorgeous bike, so clean looking!

Jewbacca

Oct 6, 2020, 5:36 PM

Pro cyclists ride the bike they are given by the sponsors.

Sure.... YOU definitely know the mostestest.

He is riding the bike and he is winning. Does anything else actually matter?

650b! No, 26er is not ded! 

CAAD4

Oct 6, 2020, 5:58 PM

Rad

CrankShaft

Oct 6, 2020, 6:02 PM

Has anyone sat on the top tubes yet to see if they crack? ???? I would be embarrassed to market a 7.5kg bike for that money when things like the tarmac sl7 exist

Nick

Oct 6, 2020, 6:40 PM

He'd probably pick this bike. Because it's likely faster.

Weight is just one metric to measure a bike. Yes, an easy one to measure and compare so people obsess over it but sheds little light on the speed of a bike.

In MvdPs case, he's not going for GC in mountainous grand tours (yet). He's fighting in breakaways or sprinting. Aero is king for this racing.

When he feels the need, I'm sure he can just reach for his Canyon climbing bike without upsetting the sponsors.

'Dale

Oct 6, 2020, 6:56 PM

Canyon has had at least a 30% growth in sales for the 2019-2020 financial year, if my memory serves me corrrectly. This is incredible considering what the global marketplace is going through. The brand is working on further expansion strategies.

Ze Germans know how to engineer.

Chris_

Oct 7, 2020, 5:05 AM

That gold colour is the business.

The rest.. nah, too clinical, not enough soul, brother

Dwaine

Oct 7, 2020, 6:54 AM

Has anyone sat on the top tubes yet to see if they crack? I would be embarrassed to market a 7.5kg bike for that money when things like the tarmac sl7 exist

Does it come with a money back guarantee?

Pure Savage

Oct 7, 2020, 11:05 AM

After market stems going to be a pain.

Andreas_187

Oct 7, 2020, 2:50 PM

Has anyone sat on the top tubes yet to see if they crack? ???? I would be embarrassed to market a 7.5kg bike for that money when things like the tarmac sl7 exist

Aeroad 7.26kg for £7700

or

SL7 6.9kg for £10500

Chris_

Oct 7, 2020, 2:52 PM

Aeroad 7.26kg for £7700

or

SL7 6.9kg for £10500

'S-Works' printed on your bike... priceless

*Insert vomit emoji

DieselnDust

Oct 7, 2020, 4:02 PM

Weight is just one metric to measure a bike. Yes, an easy one to measure and compare so people obsess over it but sheds little light on the speed of a bike.

In MvdPs case, he's not going for GC in mountainous grand tours (yet). He's fighting in breakaways or sprinting. Aero is king for this racing.

When he feels the need, I'm sure he can just reach for his Canyon climbing bike without upsetting the sponsors.

I think weight is less of a concern now that aer bikes are <8kg. 

Quite a lo of TdF stage winners rode aero bikes this year. Pogacar didn't because the Aero concept is bloody heavy , flexy and just a generally poorly sorted aero bike.

The aero bike is a better choice because the riders are more adapted to climbing with a slammed stem than in the past. where they preferred a more stretched out position. 

The criteria for choosing between aero and conventional road are very closely aligned. Position is king

Jon55

Oct 7, 2020, 5:47 PM

It used to be you could get 6.9kg aero bikes, but marketing in 2020 doesn't allow for it. I understand bikehub is paid to promote this bike but it just looks like another heavy, over priced hassle prone ride following the current money making trends. Plus the proprietary parts would just be a headache to replace. Each to their own but I don't like to wait weeks or months for stuff that you should be able to walk into a bike shop and buy.

Jehosefat

Oct 8, 2020, 8:27 AM

It used to be you could get 6.9kg aero bikes, but marketing in 2020 doesn't allow for it. I understand bikehub is paid to promote this bike but it just looks like another heavy, over priced hassle prone ride following the current money making trends. Plus the proprietary parts would just be a headache to replace. Each to their own but I don't like to wait weeks or months for stuff that you should be able to walk into a bike shop and buy.

I'm pretty sure that all those old "6.9kg aero bikes" were about as stiff as wet spaghetti and incredibly inefficient on climbs regardless of the weight. I also don't get where your whining about marketing is coming from. If they could build an aero bike that was 6.8kg and climbed as well as a climbing bike they definitely would because it would certainly give them an advantage in races. And lets be honest, winning races sells far more bikes than any clever marketing does...

And your whinge about proprietary parts applies equally to every aero, tt, and triathlon bike so I'm not sure why you are singling this one out.

Long Wheel Base

Oct 8, 2020, 9:31 AM

Why you so grumpy? Your posts depict someone that is very sad and lonely. You OK?

Pure Savage

Oct 8, 2020, 9:35 AM

Sho, Jon is worked up by these new Aero bikes, maybe these new aero bikes could help our vegan friend to complete an everest.  :ph34r:

Add a comment

You must log in to comment