Tech

Cervelo launch S3 Disc aero road bike

· By Press Office · 63 comments

Free from the constraints of rim brakes, the S3 Disc has been engineered to be stiffer and more aerodynamic than its rim-brake counterpart, while continuing to make the most of the lightweight design rooted in the Project California research facility.

ccs-2-0-55347600-1474549983.jpg

“The S3 Disc’s superior handling and control will give performance-seeking riders the confidence to pull away from the peloton or crush a Saturday morning group ride,” said Antoine Ballon, Cervélo’s Global Marketing Manager. “We know the Cervélo community around the world will love our new disc platform as much as we do.”

ccs-2-0-94687200-1474549982.jpg

The S3 Disc’s 12mm thru-axle technology boosts stiffness in both the back-end and in the fork, leading to better handling and an 8 per cent increase in headtube stiffness. Bottom-bracket stiffness was boosted by 9 per cent to improve overall handling and power transfer.

The reengineered leg airfoil of the all-new S3 Disc fork, combined with an elevated fork crotch that reduces the low pressure zone behind the crown, also makes the S3 Disc 19g (~2 watts) faster than an S3.

ccs-2-0-37944700-1474549982.jpg

Cervélo S3 Disc Ultegra Di2

ccs-2-0-15432200-1474551745.jpg

• ForkCervélo All-Carbon, Tapered S3 Fork for Disc
  • CranksetFSA SLK 52×36
  • Bottom BracketBracket FSA PF30
  • ChainKMC X11L
  • CassetteShimano Ultegra 6800, 11 spd, 11-28
  • Front DerailleurShimano Ultegra Di2 6870, 2×11 spd
  • Rear DerailleurShimano Ultegra Di2 6870, 11 spd
  • ShiftersShimano Di2 ST-R785 11 spd
  • HandlebarCervelo, All-Carbon, Aero
  • StemFSA SLK
  • HeadsetFSA IS2 1-1/8 x 1-3/8”
  • BrakesShimano BR-RS805 Hydraulic Disc
  • Saddlefi’zi:k Antares R5
  • Seatpost48-51: Cervélo Carbon, Aero, Zero Offset /
    54-61: Cervélo Carbon, Aero, 25 mm Offset
  • Disc RotorsShimano RT81 160 mm
  • WheelsENVE SES 3.4 Clincher for Cervélo
  • TyresContinental Grand Sport Race SL 700x23c, foldable

Cervélo S3 Disc Ultegra

ccs-2-0-94439600-1474549983.jpg

• ForkCervélo All-Carbon, Tapered S3 Fork for Disc
  • CranksetFSA SLK 52×36
  • Bottom BracketBracket FSA PF30
  • ChainKMC X11L
  • CassetteShimano Ultegra 6800, 11 spd, 11-28
  • Front DerailleurShimano Ultegra 6800, 2×11 spd
  • Rear DerailleurShimano Ultegra 6800, 11 spd
  • ShiftersShimano ST-RS685 11 spd
  • HandlebarFSA Energy Compact
  • StemFSA SLK
  • HeadsetFSA IS2 1-1/8 x 1-3/8”
  • BrakesShimano BR-RS805 Hydraulic Disc
  • Saddlefi’zi:k Antares R5
  • Seatpost48-51: Cervélo Carbon, Aero, Zero Offset /
    54-61: Cervélo Carbon, Aero, 25 mm Offset
  • Disc RotorsShimano RT81 160 mm
  • WheelsHED Ardennes Plus GP Disc
  • TyresContinental Grand Sport Race SL 700x23c, foldable
Local pricing and availability to be confirmed. For more information, visit www.cervelo.com/en/road/s-series/s3-disc.
Tags:

Comments

BDF

Sep 22, 2016, 2:11 PM

Which teams ride Cervelo? DD and...

Think they will defy the others and ride with disc brakes?

no calves

Sep 22, 2016, 2:40 PM

Which teams ride Cervelo? DD and...

Think they will defy the others and ride with disc brakes?

Cervelo Bigla  (Miss Moolman-Pasio's Team)

Mongoose!

Sep 22, 2016, 3:18 PM

Really like the Ultegra DI2 one!

IceCreamMan

Sep 22, 2016, 4:19 PM

"Free from the constraints of rim brakes"

That's great marketing speak.

I have a 2016 S3 and I always think to myself I wish I was not restrained by these rim brakes.

LOOK695

Sep 22, 2016, 4:21 PM

That red one is stunning

Underachiever

Sep 22, 2016, 5:55 PM

Good looking bikes, but too much marketing speak.  Which means the product is not that much better than current.

'Dale

Sep 22, 2016, 7:43 PM

Unless you live in Euroland and roll lots of wet roads 7 months of the year and spend hours in Alpine like mountains....

It's all marketing

Exciting though ????

carrera4s

Sep 23, 2016, 4:44 AM

Red one, please!

Audible Anarchy

Sep 23, 2016, 11:18 AM

Is there a difference in geometry between the traditional / rim brake one and the one with discs?

Matt

Sep 23, 2016, 11:21 AM

Is there a difference in geometry between the traditional / rim brake one and the one with discs?

No different to the S3 geometry wise - from another spec sheet for the bike:

"The S3 Disc features identical geometry to the S3, with classic road handling and fit."

shaper

Sep 23, 2016, 12:27 PM

Maybe marketing but is also technology driven.  Biggest issue with carbon wheels is the braking surface and wheels can get only so light without serious issues in this area.

Moving to disks takes everything away from the rims, keeps heat away from carbon, so potential for lighter wheels and differing carbon technology on the rims

Velouria

Sep 23, 2016, 12:46 PM

"Free from the constraints of rim brakes"

That's great marketing speak.

I have a 2016 S3 and I always think to myself I wish I was not restrained by these rim brakes.

I have the S5 with rim brakes on carbon deep sections. The humidity just has to go up slightly and those rim  brakes become panic handles with very little relationship to pressure on the lever and stopping power.

Coming down Spook Hill in Somerset West last night and I couldn't stop at the stop street!

I can't see how discs are a bad thing.

Mongoose!

Sep 23, 2016, 12:50 PM

Manufactures of disc brake, road bikes, should play with the idea of covering the disc with a light weight non shatter ventilated carbon / plastic shell for safety purposes. 

just think of the marketing possibilities with such future... :whistling:

- eliminate the danger of cutting in accidents

- more aero

- more protected from dirt / dust

post-7189-0-28445700-1474635256.jpg

IceCreamMan

Sep 23, 2016, 1:53 PM

I have the S5 with rim brakes on carbon deep sections. The humidity just has to go up slightly and those rim  brakes become panic handles with very little relationship to pressure on the lever and stopping power.

Coming down Spook Hill in Somerset West last night and I couldn't stop at the stop street!

Was that going up spook hill? Or down

Not saying disks are bad but I certainly have never felt the need for them on any of my cervelos. My S3 sans disks stops just fine. Disks if anything may make it stop much quicker an that could be dangerous,

Not sure how adding disks makes the bike stiffer unless there are other changes.

The S5 to my knowledge is still constrained ...

Matt

Sep 23, 2016, 2:03 PM

Not sure how adding disks makes the bike stiffer unless there are other changes.

Another snippet from the spec sheets below. There are some changes which improve stiffness, notably the thru-axle front and rear.

STIFFNESS

As with our other disc platforms, 12mm thru-axle technology boosts

stiffness in both the back-end and in the fork, leading to better handling

in corners and an 8 per cent increase in headtube stiffness. We’ve also

boosted bottom-bracket stiffness by 9 per cent to improve overall

handling and power transfer to the pedals.

Velouria

Sep 26, 2016, 7:46 AM

Was that going up spook hill? Or down

Not saying disks are bad but I certainly have never felt the need for them on any of my cervelos. My S3 sans disks stops just fine. Disks if anything may make it stop much quicker an that could be dangerous,

The S5 to my knowledge is still constrained ...

I think it's more the wheels than the bike. I've never been overly confident of the stopping power of carbon rims, in the wet or in the dry.

I've also almost killed myself going from my bike with carbon wheels to my other bike with aluminium rims - almost a guaranteed way to go over the bars the first time you brake!

And it was down!

pista

Sep 26, 2016, 7:57 AM

David Zabriskie could be faster if he shaved and cut his hair ;)

Only negative is the fact that some 25mm tyres may not fit on the frame.

Pure Savage

Sep 26, 2016, 7:59 AM

Glad I had Alu rims when everested up there :P 

You need a gravel bike for that hill really....

Thomo

Dec 30, 2017, 5:37 PM

Who stocks Cervelo locally, and specifically Cape Town.?

Patchelicious

Dec 30, 2017, 5:52 PM

I have the S5 with rim brakes on carbon deep sections. The humidity just has to go up slightly and those rim brakes become panic handles with very little relationship to pressure on the lever and stopping power.

It’s exactly this, coming down Spook from Helderberg College in the pissing rain that caused me to start the disc bike thread. I was on Boras and nearly died, was unable to come to a stop until past PV high school.

Discs are the way, we just need CSA to catch-up with rules quickly.

lechatnoir

Dec 30, 2017, 5:59 PM

That red one is stunning

it's the fastest one

lechatnoir

Dec 30, 2017, 6:02 PM

wait... 23c tyres??? what the actual....? 

SwissVan

Dec 31, 2017, 9:37 AM

Once long ago in a far away galaxy.....Carbon deep sections were reserved for racing only and mortals used normal alu rims for training

Some will bleat that all this carbon (and its related problems) and discs is progress

I will bleat that there is a good reason that it took so long for discs to become standard (almost) on road bikes

Patchelicious

Dec 31, 2017, 9:43 AM

Once long ago in a far away galaxy.....Carbon deep sections were reserved for racing only and mortals used normal alu rims for training

Some will bleat that all this carbon (and its related problems) and discs is progress

I will bleat that there is a good reason that it took so long for discs to become standard (almost) on road bikes

What’s that good reason?

Add a comment

You must log in to comment