Tech

Darkhorse Wheels launches Darkhorse Bikes division with its flagship bike, the Eclipse

Supplied by Darkhorse Bikes.

· By Press Office · 28 comments

ccs-62657-0-47106000-1619789990.jpg

Having been in the cycling industry for over 10 years and being obsessed with everything on two wheels, the team behind Darkhorse Wheels saw a gap in the market for a lightweight ebike that is comfortable both on and off road.

After over two years in development the team are very pleased to present a range of bikes that represents everything we love about cycling.

Designed to feel equally at home in the city as it is on gravel roads winding through the mountains. A blend of low weight, comfort and style with an added boost when needed. The Eclipse is the perfect tool for doing whatever you like – whether it’s commuting from work or heading off for an epic adventure. A companion for every part of your life.

Designed To Enhance Your Ride, Not Eliminate The Sweat

Paired with our carefully designed frame is the trusted Mahle Ebikemotion X35+ motor and battery system resulting in a bike that is lightweight, sleek and understated. Every pedal stroke is enhanced, allowing you to ride harder, faster and longer than ever before.

The 36V/250W hub-drive motor system provides 3 smooth levels of power assistance up to a maximum of 32kmh, with near-zero drag in off-mode. Ensuring your ride feels as natural as a regular bike.

The optional range extender fits into a water bottle type holder on the seat tube and gives you the ability to almost double your range.

ccs-62657-0-97857000-1619790120.jpg

ccs-62657-0-38435600-1619790171.jpg
ccs-62657-0-69676900-1619790181.jpg

Choose Your Configuration

We are launching with the Eclipse range which will be available in the 3 configurations; a drop bar, MTB flat bar; and a belt drive. The Eclipse AL-D1 and Eclipse AL-F1 will come paired with the trusted and hugely versatile SRAM Apex1 1×11 HRD groupset while the Eclipse AL-B1 makes use of the world-renowned Gates Carbon Belt drive. All options come standard with a Fabric saddle, tubeless 700x40c tyres with a max clearance for a 45c, and a 3 year warranty.

ccs-62657-0-56903200-1619790218.jpg
Eclipse AL-D1 – Drop handlebars, SRAM Apex1 1×11 HRD

ccs-62657-0-87932900-1619790245.jpg
Eclipse AL-F1 – Flat handlebars, SRAM Apex1 1×11 HRD

ccs-62657-0-42685200-1619790275.jpg
Eclipse AL-B1 – Flat handlebars, Single Speed Gates Belt drive

ccs-62657-0-51213900-1619790579.png

Connect

Our bikes feature the latest ANT+ and Bluetooth® technologies to connect your bike to your phone, smart watch or Garmin device. View and control the functions of your bike through the dedicated Ebikemotion Android or IOS app for phone, and smart watches. Once connected login to the web portal to further analyse your rides, log any system faults and much more.

ccs-62657-0-28862800-1619790525.jpg

FAQ

Do I need to pedal to ride this e-bike?
Yes, our e-bikes are pedal activated models which require rider input at all times. The motor supplements your pedal strokes, rather than replacing them.

How will I know how much battery I have left?
The button on the top-tube indicates the remaining battery life using an easy to follow colour-code. White = 75% capacity or more remaining, Green = 50-75%, Orange = 25-50%, Red = 15-25%, Slow Red Flash = 10 -15% and Rapid Red Flash = 10% or less remaining. You can also keep track of the remaining battery life using the Ebikemotion companion app.

How do I select the power assist level?
The same button on the top tube that indicates battery life is also used to set the level of assistance that you require. Press once for each level you would like to move up. When turned on it will be set to the level with the least assistance (green), one push takes you to level 2 (orange) and a third push of the button will take you to level 3, with the most assistance (red). The colour level will flash once when pushed and then revert back to the colour indicating the current battery level.

I’m concerned that I won’t have full control over the bike?
As a pedal assisted bike, as opposed to an independent motor bike, the motor simply provides a little extra boost whilst you pedal and does not take over. You can slow the bike at any time by either peddling less or applying the brakes just as you would on a non-assisted bike.

How do I charge the battery?
To charge the battery you simply plug the bike into a household socket using the supplied charger and cable. (The optional range extender can also charge the main battery whilst you are on the move).

Can I ride in wet conditions?
The electric components used on our e-bikes are IP54 rated. They can be used in inclement weather conditions and are protected against splashing, but not against full immersion or when subjected to pressurised water from a hose pipe or jet wash. When transporting the bike on the outside of a vehicle a waterproof cover should be utilised to ensure the protection of the electronic components from water damage during such transportation. As with any bike, we recommend thoroughly cleaning and drying the bike after any wet weather ride to ensure the peak performance of your bike.

How fast can I go?
The Ebikemotion X35 power assist system offers assistance up to just over 32kms per hour, at which point the assistance cuts out. This does not mean that the bike is prevented from going faster than 32kms per hour, just simply that this is the point at which the motor will stop assisting you. If you drop back below 32kms per hour then the system will automatically re-engage unless you have switched the system off.

What size tyres can be fitted?
There is clearance to fit up to a 45mm in width tyre.

What if I get a puncture?
Simply disconnect the cable to the rear wheel motor by unclipping the connector on the chainstay. Then, using an 8mm allen key loosen the nuts on the rear axle.

Is the bike supplied with pedals?
No, we do not supply pedals with this bike, a selection of pedals are available to order with the bike.

How heavy is the bike?
With SRAM Apex 1×11 and in a size Medium it weighs in at approx 14kgs making it one of the lightest ebike ranges on the market.

What range can I expect from the battery?
The battery range depends on a number of factors including rider weight, route profile, temperature and level of assistance used. A rider of 90kg, on a varied route including climbs, descents and flats with mixed gravel and road surfaces can expect an approximate range of up to 75kms. An optional range extender is also available for all of our e-bikes, which effectively doubles the bikes available range.

Can the battery be removed?
Yes, the battery can be accessed through the headtube but should only be done so by an authorised Darkhorse Bikes Dealer.

What is the life expectancy of the battery?
The battery can reach up to 500 charging cycles while still retaining up to 90% of its capacity as long as its care and maintenance are adequate. For maximum efficiency, it is important to maintain a battery charge of between 20-80% of its total capacity. Charging the battery to 100% capacity from fully depleted is one complete charging cycle. Similarly, topping up the battery from 80-100% five times amounts to one complete charging cycle. If you are not going to be using your bike for a period of time you should always ensure that it is stored in a dry environment (out of direct sunlight) with a charge level of between 40-50%. A full charge should also be carried out every 2 months. Take care not to leave the charger connected to the bike continuously, doing so could accelerate the degradation of battery life. Ideally, the charger should not be connected for more than 5 hours at a time. Use only the original Ebikemotion charger supplied with your bike.

What’s the warranty of the bike?
The frame has a 3-year warranty against manufacturing defects. All other parts are covered by the manufacturer’s standard warranty or for 6 months, whichever is the longer. The Ebikemotion system is covered against manufacturing defects for a period of 2-years.

ccs-62657-0-63451100-1619963596.jpg

Retail Prices

Eclipse AL-D1 – R55 000

Eclipse AL-F1 – R52 000

Eclipse AL-B1 – R52 000

For further information visit www.darkhorsebikes.com.

Comments

ashortchase

May 3, 2021, 8:28 AM

So the women needs the E-Bike to keep up? Did we not learn anything from Pinarelo? 

Shebeen

May 3, 2021, 10:46 AM

these bikes are cool, i think they at the right pricepoint to do well.

Pure Savage

May 3, 2021, 10:47 AM

So the women needs the E-Bike to keep up? Did we not learn anything from Pinarelo? 

Where do they say that?

In the video, is it not a guy saying he uses it to keep up with his mates?

Headshot

May 3, 2021, 11:26 AM

Do they come with a free beard? 

Bikalot

May 3, 2021, 11:29 AM

Just a heads up, looks like your site is down.

Danger Dassie

May 3, 2021, 11:36 AM

Literally nothing of the sort in the clip and nowhere near any kind of correlation to the Pinarello ad. No matter how sugars you put in your latte.

Nick

May 3, 2021, 11:39 AM

Do they come with a free beard? 

Matt has been showing up to the morning rides on one of these recently. He's yet to sprout any significant hair growth to hide his boyish looks  :P

Pure Savage

May 3, 2021, 12:20 PM

Literally nothing of the sort in the clip and nowhere near any kind of correlation to the Pinarello ad. No matter how sugars you put in your latte.

I think it was the last pic from which this comment was aimed.

One can never do anything right

shaper

May 3, 2021, 12:32 PM

Where do they say that?

53s into the first video, is clearly a girl catching the guys having pressed the button, you can see the ponytail.

'Dale

May 3, 2021, 12:32 PM

giphy.gif

ashortchase

May 3, 2021, 12:53 PM

Where do they say that?

Nope, watch it again.

ashortchase

May 3, 2021, 12:54 PM

It's okay, one day you will catch up. Hopefully. 

Grease_Monkey

May 3, 2021, 12:56 PM

Well priced, good looking. Looks like a really good option for a commuter.

Well done!

ashortchase

May 3, 2021, 1:03 PM

I think it was the last pic from which this comment was aimed.

One can never do anything right

They were clever enough to make an E-Bike, I'm sure they are clever enough to come up with a better narrative for their video.  

Danger Dassie

May 3, 2021, 1:31 PM

It's okay, one day you will catch up. Hopefully. 

Seems the problem isn't the video or alleged faux passe ;) 

Shebeen

May 3, 2021, 1:36 PM

53s into the first video, is clearly a girl catching the guys having pressed the button, you can see the ponytail.

So when on chappies a girl needs to push the ebike power button to keep up with three guys, also riding on ebikes?

I think you're on a weird fishing expedition without bait or tackle.

Grease_Monkey

May 3, 2021, 1:43 PM

So when on chappies a girl needs to push the ebike power button to keep up with three guys, also riding on ebikes?

We live in an online world where people just cannot wait to signal how virtuous they are. Side tracking the launch of a lekker local product with rubbish like this.... eish.

shaper

May 3, 2021, 1:44 PM

I am on no expedition, you seem rather confused.

Some were saying it was not a girl on the ebike, however you can clearly see that it is... I merely pointed this out, nothing more!!

Matt

May 3, 2021, 1:58 PM

I've been cruising around on the drop bar version for the last few weeks on a mix of commutes, road rides and gravel outings. After hearing the story & about the bike and price point from the Dark Horse team I jumped at the chance to give it a test ride.

More to follow in a review soon, but I'll unashamedly say that button & the extra watts helped me keep up on a few hills on a regular roadie morning loop. 

Shebeen

May 3, 2021, 2:21 PM

Some were saying it was not a girl on the ebike, however you can clearly see that it is... I merely pointed this out, nothing more!!

yup. i am rather confused. 4 different people riding an ebike, all of them using it to give them a little "boost". Yet somehow we seem hung up on how 25% of the models are seen as weak because they are female?

This is all just a silly sidetrack when we should really be discussing the bike Mike's fabulous beard.

Pure Savage

May 3, 2021, 2:52 PM

I only saw the second video on my phone, first one did not load. Tough Monday here.

ashortchase

May 3, 2021, 3:16 PM

Oh, yes sorry that makes more sense now.    

ashortchase

May 3, 2021, 3:19 PM

Seems the problem isn't the video or alleged faux passe ;)

You sure you watching the correct video?

ChrisF

May 3, 2021, 3:39 PM

Sorry to derail the derailed thread .... to get back on topic for a moment .....

So WHAT do they bring to the market - looking at the LUNA AL-F1:

https://darkhorsebikes.com/product/luna-al-f1/ 

- gravel bike type commuter setup

- 1x11

- the 44 ring to 11-42 cassette is VERY nice !!  Most ebikes are horribly under geared ... finally a bike that allows you to do a decent speed along downhills, and as long as the legs last along the flats .... NICE !

- 250W motor (very typical size motor to fit in with the various countries that actually limit ebikes)

- 248Wh battery ... OUCH !!!  This will be okay for a typical commute.  Dont bank on much more than 40km range, not if you intend using the power assist option regularly .... Those that HAVE used an ebike on a commute will know that you USE the assist during the morning commute.  Also, most of us have a backpack adding more weight to the load ....

- Range extender at R8k ... double ouch !!  Full 500Wh battery from Darrvin for R4k - granted this is for their older Connect series .... let's see what they charge for a battery for their new range of bikes.  Giant, Spez etc charge near R20k for a 500W.h battery

- assist up to 32km/h ... VERY handy !!  (though the legal SA limit is actually only 25km/h)

- fully integrated battery .... personally I am used to swopping out batteries on longer rides (much longer than their range extender will allow) .... for most COMMUTERS this will be a nice clean practical setup.  Just KNOW the very real distance limitations, and that swopping out batteries next to the road is going to be near impossible.

- HUB motor ..... these are notorious for poor performance and heavy power usage on serious hills.  Mid mount motors are technically significantly better for very hilly rides.  Certainly a much cleaner look.  And YES, a very popular layout for commuters in Europe, even in hilly areas.  

Worth noting that the "typical commuter" may also consider this:

https://www.sportsmanswarehouse.co.za/product/avalanche-ewayz-e-bike/

- Less than half the price

- similar tires

- more up-right commuter seating position (THIS may well be the decider for many ...)

- mechanical disc brakes .... down right dangerous when traveling at 30+km/h !!!  (that said, more than enough money on the table to upgrade to TOP brakes)

- 1x7 gearing .... in the hype of modern 11 and 12 speed setups this seems "very yesterday" .... the 1x8 on my e-commuter has QUICKLY shown me that it perfectly up to the job !!

- same 32km/h speed assist limit

- not sure of the battery size, but easily swopped out during longer rides.

- Also a hub motor.  This time a Bafang, for which many shops do carry spares.

OPTION THREE -

https://darrvinshop.com/ebikes/darrvin-evolve

- The Darrvin Evolve was one of the earliest commuter e-bikes on our shores.

- 250W motor

- 500Wh battery

- R4k for a new battery

- Bafang motor and controller, so spares are readily available

- Brakes .... seems similar to what I have on the Darrvin Connect .... uhm, no .... at that speed you NEED better brakes !!

What the "spec sheet" dont tell ....

- How do each FEEL when you ride it ?

- Real world power delivery at different settings ....

NICE to see more brands entering our small market  :thumbup:   :clap:

With any luck this will add a bit of competition, and more realistic prices ..... Darrvin has a new range coming this way shortly .... so even more options.  :thumbup:

E-commuters - YES, they are VERY handy !!!!!  My only "word of caution" .... CHECK the braking .....  when the person typing away on their phone drives in front of you you, you need STRONG brakes !!!!!!!!!  Even on my Darrvin I immediately upgraded the brakes

Add a comment

You must log in to comment