Tech

Exclusive: 2016 Momsen VIPA Trail Prototype

· By BikeHubCoreAdmin · 95 comments

Planned as a 2016 Model, the VIPA Trail has been in development for several months and a couple of running prototypes have started to hit our trails for feedback and further design improvements.

ccs-62657-0-05066200-1423226658.jpg

Following on the success of the full carbon VIPA and the recent Team Issue with dedicated 1x chainstays, this new frame is set to be an exciting addition to Momsen Bike’s ever expanding range for the 2016 season.

ccs-62657-0-38919300-1423226707.jpg

Final specification and geometry are still being confirmed ahead of the 2016 Dealer presentations, but what we do know for now is the following:

• Increased rear wheel travel to better cope with bigger hits
  • Plusher suspension tune for increased traction and small bump efficiency
  • Lower BB to better carve single track and rail berms
  • Production frames won’t have Momsen Bike’s integrated top tube bag
  • Slacker head angle to make the bike big-mountain friendly
  • Longer top tube for better reach when running a shorter stem
  • Increased tire clearance to be able to run wider tires with bigger knobblies (Note: prototypes use existing moulds from the Team Issue, but production will see an entire new rear end)
  • Internal routing for dropper seat posts
  • Optimized for 120mm – 140mm forks
ccs-62657-0-99016500-1423226701.jpg
ccs-62657-0-08956600-1423227094.jpg

First Ride

I’ve spend some time on a large running prototype on Cape Town trails and can only say that Momsen Bikes have a potential winner on their hands. It manages a fine balance between a trail ripper and all day, all mountain bike through it’s lower bottom bracket, longer top tube and reach, and bang up to date angles.

ccs-62657-0-60505000-1423226684.jpg

Handling is sharp with a lively ride, coupled with great traction. The lower BB allows it to rip around berms without causing pedal strikes on every bend. The longer top tube means that I could comfortably run a shorter stem with wider bars and not feel cramped or run out of breathing space on longer rides.

ccs-62657-0-66928500-1423226716.jpg

Once at the top the lively ride and sharp handling makes for a super fun and rewarding ride. It doesn’t take long to realise that the VIPA Trail can be enjoyed with a slammed dropper post. I’ve run a 120mm Revelation and 140mm Pike on the bike and it is comfortable with both. The extra burl and confidence the Pike brings is not let down by the bike’s rear suspension.

I am sure the versatility of the frame will suit many local trail riders to the T and with a well thought-out component choice this bike could be many things to many riders. 2016 already looks promising.

ccs-62657-0-86813100-1423226721.jpg

Please note that the complete bicycle as pictured features a custom build and does not represent final specification or OE parts. Decals on the bicycle is unique to this prototype and does not represent what the production model will look like. The Momsen logo on the top tube features a “camouflage” design idea borrowed from the car industry to keep prying eyes guessing.

Comments

Bizkit031

Feb 9, 2015, 4:43 AM

Not bad let's hope they have taken take note of all the new Breed of 29ers out there that are making the bikes low,slack and long because the reviews on those bikes look awesome.this looks like a winner so far.

Captain Fastbastard Mayhem

Feb 9, 2015, 4:56 AM

Hot hot hot

Steven Knoetze (sk27)

Feb 9, 2015, 5:45 AM

Thats looks very similar to a Spez Stumpjumper FSR........

Brian Fantana

Feb 9, 2015, 5:58 AM

Nice development.  The seat tube angle looks a bit slack in my opinion.

rock

Feb 9, 2015, 6:15 AM

that top tube sticker totally threw me, couldn't work out what the hell it was......

Pipsqueak

Feb 9, 2015, 6:42 AM

Ya, you're right. If its a 29er it could be quite a bit steeper. Oaks in this country LOVE to pedal.

Feb 9, 2015, 6:44 AM

Rock - it looks VERY much like the NS Bikesg graphic. That's what I originally thought it was, and then had a longer look and thought "no... not that..."

Beautiful bike though. And Iwan - I'm sure they will take the graphics as a design cue. They're fantastic. Minimalist yet in your face. And I know that makes no sense whatsoever, but BLEH!!!

Feb 9, 2015, 6:51 AM

SK - you're right... Very similar front triangles, but the rear triangle is different. Different pivots at the pointy end (Spaz pivot is in front of the RD on the chainstay, Vipa is above & behind the hub on the seatstay) and the upper linkage is also pretty different. Spaz has the shock mounted on the linkage itself, vipa has it driven directly from the seat-stays, with the linkage acting as more of a swinglink rather than swinglink & shock mounting.

But on the face of it, similar... 

http://happymtb.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/Specialized-Stumpjumper-FSR-29.jpg

trail - er - park

Feb 9, 2015, 7:23 AM

Very appealing.

Just one visual quirk with the split-graphic of their brand ....

almost thought I was reading "mampara" on the side of the top tube :)

Hairy

Feb 9, 2015, 7:25 AM

I could trap that!

Iwan Kemp

Feb 9, 2015, 8:57 AM

Not bad let's hope they have taken take note of all the new Breed of 29ers out there that are making the bikes low,slack and long because the reviews on those bikes look awesome.this looks like a winner so far.

You can tick all three those boxes...

Headshot

Feb 9, 2015, 9:10 AM

The Momsen is a mono-pivot, the Spaz, a horst link i.e. vpp of sorts, thanks to the pivot on the chain stay and generally regarded as offering better suspension performance under braking. Nothing wrong with a good mono-pivot however - See Pyga and others. 

How can a lower bottom bracket lead to fewer pedal strikes? 

Iwan Kemp

Feb 9, 2015, 9:22 AM

How can a lower bottom bracket lead to fewer pedal strikes? 

Assuming you are referring to this:

"The lower BB allows it to rip around berms without causing pedal strikes on every bend."

It doesn't say "fewer". But compared to an Ibis Ripley there have definitely been less pedal strikes.

Hope this helps.

Feb 9, 2015, 9:26 AM

"The lower BB allows it to rip around berms without causing pedal strikes on every bend."

It doesn't say "fewer". But compared to an Ibis Ripley there have definitely been less pedal strikes.

Hope this helps.

I'm sure you meant to say "The lower BB allows it to rip around berms, but isn't too low that it causes pedal strikes on every bend"

splat

Feb 9, 2015, 9:26 AM

120 to 140mm shocks sounds great.

What sort of rear travel is planned?

This sounds like Pyga 110 territory...

craig82

Feb 9, 2015, 9:30 AM

Man I have been waiting for you to write this article for a while now Crow.

Waiting waiting waiting... and them bam - still no confirmation on the rear travel! 

rock

Feb 9, 2015, 9:30 AM

650b wheels on size smalls?

How much longer TT in comparison to the same size regular Vipa?

Ryanpmb

Feb 9, 2015, 9:31 AM

So PYGA have developed a ViPa type bike in the Stage and Momsen have developed a 110 type bike in the ViPa Trail... within similar time frames... Interesting...

Brian Fantana

Feb 9, 2015, 9:41 AM

650b wheels on size smalls?

How much longer TT in comparison to the same size regular Vipa?

I would rather like to see a comparison between the reach dimensions of the Vipa Trail and the XC Vipa.

If you have a slack seat tube angle you can have a long top tube with a short reach, but with a steeper seat tube angle you can have a longer reach with the same top tube length.

Headshot

Feb 9, 2015, 9:41 AM

Hope this helps.

Okay, so despite the lower BB its not a pedal klapping nightmare :-)

Iwan Kemp

Feb 9, 2015, 10:02 AM

Okay, so despite the lower BB its not a pedal klapping nightmare :-)

You said it!

GoLefty!!

Feb 9, 2015, 10:07 AM

I'd like to see how long the front centre is. Slacker usually means longer and getting toolong up front ain't so lekker for the singletrack climbing

Steven Knoetze (sk27)

Feb 9, 2015, 10:53 AM

Will this come with a carbon rear triangle, ala VIPA AC?

Headshot

Feb 9, 2015, 11:10 AM

I'd like to see how long the front centre is. Slacker usually means longer and getting toolong up front ain't so lekker for the singletrack climbing

Who cares about climbing :-) Its a 29er and thats a bigger hindrance right there... :ph34r:

Add a comment

You must log in to comment