Tech

First look: 2015 Giant Anthem SX 27.5

· By Nick · 40 comments

The Giant Anthem SX is a slacker, plusher and friendlier variation on Giant’s cross-country war horse.

Giant Anthem SX 27.5 Blue Yellow.jpg

The Anthem SX’s party piece is the 120mm travel fork. The frame is unchanged meaning that the additional length of the fork adapts the geometry of the bike compared to the ordinary 100mm Anthem. The head angle is 1 degree slacker and the wheelbase ever so slightly longer than a standard Anthem. These changes make the Anthem SX a more versatile bike with added comfort and easier handling on the descents.

The Anthem SX appears to have been equipped with reliability and performance in mind. The suspension features the Fox Float Performance range instead of the Evolution range found on a number of Giant’s bikes (a big plus in my opinion). The gearing and brakes are Shimano SLX with a XT clutch rear derailleur to improve shifting and chain security. Giant’s Compact range, including a surprisingly decent dropper seatpost, makes up the cockpit. The Giant wheels are wrapped in Schwalbe tyres, Nobby Nic EVO for some grip up front and Racing Ralph EVO at the back. Altogether a good deal at a recommended retail price of R32,950.

giant anthem sx-20.jpg
giant anthem sx-3.jpg
giant anthem sx-4.jpg
giant anthem sx-8.jpg
giant anthem sx-12.jpg
giant anthem sx-11.jpg

We only had time for a brief test ride. Being a small frame, the Anthem SX would have been a BMX for any of The Hub staffers, so we recruited a smaller rider for the task. Her initial impressions of the Anthem SX were positive, finding the bike fun and forgiving on the trails.

giant anthem sx-9.jpg
giant anthem sx-10.jpg

I like to argue that this style of bike is a far better match for many South African cross-country mountain biker’s aspirations and abilities than the harsh race inspired bikes that are currently so popular. What do you think?

The 2015 Giant Anthem SX will be available through Giant dealers at the beginning of next year.

2015 Giant Anthem SX specification

• FrameALUXX SL-grade aluminum, 4″ Maestro suspension
  • SizesXS, S, M, L, XL
  • ForkFox Float CTD Performance w/ 15mm thru-axle, OverDrive steerer, 120mm travel
  • ShockFox Float CTD Performance
  • HandlebarGiant Contact, Low rise, 31.8mm
  • StemGiant Contact
  • SeatpostGiant Contact SL Switch-R, 30.9mm
  • SaddleGiant Contact, Forward
  • ShiftersShimano SLX
  • Front DerailleurShimano SLX
  • Rear DerailleurShimano XT, Shadow+
  • BrakesShimano SLX, Hydraulic disc, [F] 180mm [R] 160mm
  • Brake LeversShimano SLX
  • CassetteShimano HG81 11×36, 10-speed
  • ChainKMC X10
  • CranksetShimano SLX, 24/38
  • Bottom BracketShimano, Press fit
  • RimsGiant P-XC2, Double wall
  • HubsGiant Performance Tracker Disc, 32h, [F] 15mm axle, [R] 135x5mm QR
  • SpokesStainless Steel, 14/15g
  • Front TyreSchwalbe Nobby Nic EVO, Tubeless ready, 27.5×2.25, Folding
  • Rear TyreSchwalbe Racing Ralph EVO, Tubeless ready, 27×2.25, Folding
  • Retail PriceR32,950.00

Related posts

Comments

WeekendWarrior80

Dec 2, 2014, 5:11 AM

Don't know if I should save for one of those or a Trek Fuel EX 9.9 :huh:

Pipsqueak

Dec 2, 2014, 5:20 AM

This bike fills a niche here in SA that's thinly catered for.

ScottCM

Dec 2, 2014, 5:25 AM

If this bike fails then Giant is in big trouble seen as they gave up on the other two wheel sizes.

nox1111

Dec 2, 2014, 5:37 AM

I like!

Hilton.

Dec 2, 2014, 6:15 AM

I like this assessment a lot. I do agree that this matches well with most Saffers' aspirations and levels of skill. I'd imagine this would inspire much confidence in descending over a similar 100mm anthem.

GlennH

Dec 2, 2014, 6:29 AM

I have the Anthem 1 2015, and changed out the front fork to a 120mm fox float ctd. so basically the same bike. Love it. its light nimble and climbs like a dream. Nice that they added a stealth dropper to the SX. PS if u ask nicely, most Giant Dealers already have access to them.

GlennH

Dec 2, 2014, 6:35 AM

@ ScottC-M : Giant are still doing the 29ers, just not as many models as the 650B. Most SA MTB parks are more geared to single track and trail riding. (Karkloof a good example). In those conditions the 650B really shines. If u into long rides through cane fields, jeep tracks and dirt roads then the 29er is a better choice. Just my opinion based on many rides at Karkloof :)

Mawbs

Dec 2, 2014, 7:04 AM

Would be interesting to know what the weight difference is between this and a Trance. 

Brawler

Dec 2, 2014, 7:24 AM

Would love one of these to complement my Reign.

Pipsqueak

Dec 2, 2014, 7:37 AM

People in this country are obsessed with climbing. The bike will climb very well, better than the Trance, but it'll have a bit of trail and downhill ability to suit all of us - the normal daily riders. This is a great one bike bike. Not sure why other mainstream manufactures haven't done something like this for the SA market. Don't get hung up on wheel sizes, just ride the bikes.

wepat

Dec 2, 2014, 7:54 AM

what's the rear shock 100MM or 120MM?

Nick

Dec 2, 2014, 7:57 AM

what's the rear shock 100MM or 120MM?

The rear travel is 100mm.

wepat

Dec 2, 2014, 8:02 AM

People in this country are obsessed with climbing. The bike will climb very well, better than the Trance, but it'll have a bit of trail and downhill ability to suit all of us - the normal daily riders. This is a great one bike bike. Not sure why other mainstream manufactures haven't done something like this for the SA market. Don't get hung up on wheel sizes, just ride the bikes.

They have its called a Spez Camber a lot of people go crazy for and Epic but 99% of people the camber like this Giant is a can do it all bike

Pipsqueak

Dec 2, 2014, 8:27 AM

They have its called a Spez Camber a lot of people go crazy for and Epic but 99% of people the camber like this Giant is a can do it all bike

Ya, its beyond me why these kinds of bikes aren't more popular here.

Tubehunter

Dec 2, 2014, 8:42 AM

Haha, shot at The Village... Nice review chaps!

Mawbs

Dec 2, 2014, 8:45 AM

so after a little research i see it weighs 12.75  so about 600 grams lighter than a trance. 

EmptyB

Dec 2, 2014, 8:54 AM

Don't know if I should save for one of those or a Trek Fuel EX 9.9 :huh:

Saving for the Fuel ex 9.8 (2015). The 9.9 would be awesome but seriously costly!!

arendoog

Dec 2, 2014, 10:22 AM

Great concept .I had 2 anthems and these changes are exactly what I would have suggested .I still prefer 29 ' .More traction for a 100kg rider. A carbon frame of most of the top brands cost more than this whole bike

DominicStratford

Dec 2, 2014, 11:43 AM

Been running a 120 fork on my anthem and it is great. I would definately recommend that change even if you don't buy the whole new bike.

Catatonic_Joe

Dec 2, 2014, 1:22 PM

Been running a 120 fork on my anthem and it is great. I would definately recommend that change even if you don't buy the whole new bike.

I have the 2014 Anthem 27.5, How much of a difference has the 120mm fork made compared to the standard 100mm. Can you actually feel the difference considering that you've only adjusted the travel on the fork by 20mm?

Captain Fastbastard Mayhem

Dec 2, 2014, 3:28 PM

I have the 2014 Anthem 27.5, How much of a difference has the 120mm fork made compared to the standard 100mm. Can you actually feel the difference considering that you've only adjusted the travel on the fork by 20mm?

You need to consider the % increase in this case. It's not "just 20mm" it's actually increasing the travel by a whopping 20%. That's a lot...

Louis for real

Dec 2, 2014, 4:26 PM

i still think the trance is the best bike for south african riding.

but at least this bike is a step in the right direction you know use it don't use it drink beer eat pies anything its a free country.

NicoBoshoff

Dec 3, 2014, 4:56 AM

Not in my category of bikes I like to ride, but this looks like the right bike for most Saffas.  Also, I am not so sure that you can get a Camber or PygaOneTen with SLX/XT drivetrain, stealth dropper and fox suspension (I reckon the 2015 fox kit is OK) and decent rubber for R32k (or assuming your LBS gives you the standard 10% - R29k).  For R30k that's a hell of a lot of bike.  I like.

What is the standard spec length and width of the stem/bar combo?  60mm with 720mm would make this bike so sweet.

Catatonic_Joe

Dec 3, 2014, 7:44 AM

You need to consider the % increase in this case. It's not "just 20mm" it's actually increasing the travel by a whopping 20%. That's a lot...

Makes sense. So if I were to find a buy a 20mm Fox Spacer could I adjust the travel on my 100mm Fox 32 Float to 120mm?

Add a comment

You must log in to comment