Tech

First Look: 2016 Momsen VIPA XT

· By Nick · 71 comments

Momsen’s VIPA is a proven marathon and cross-country race machine and we’ve got the scoop on the upcoming 2016 VIPA XT.

Vipa-Side-Double-Bottle-Cage-X2.2.jpg

The first thing you’ll notice about the 2016 Momsen VIPA XT is the striking white, black and orange colour scheme. It’s a bold departure from Momsen’s previous designs. The top tube maps part of the Baakens Valley trail in Port Elizabeth. This is where Momsen do much of their development and testing.

VIPA Baakens Valley.jpg
Vipa_2up.jpg

Also new for the 2016 VIPA XT is the provision for a second bottle cage mount within the frame’s front triangle. Limited to the Medium and Large sized frames, a custom adaptor can be bought to mount a bottle cage. This placement was achieved without impacting standover height and changing the top tube shape, and manages to keep the weight of the bottle in a low central position.

Vipa Black front triangle frame bottle cages.jpg
Vipa Black front triangle frame bottle cages bottle.jpg.jpg

Other than the additional bottle cage mount, there have been no significant changes to the VIPA design. Considering the success of Kargo PRO MTB and Alan Hatherly’s 2015 SA XCO Cup title, Momsen are happy with the way the current VIPA performs in marathon and XCO racing. For those looking to jump on the longer and slacker bandwagon, the VIPA Trail is expected to launch in 2016 and should fill that gap.

VIPA_bottle.jpg

The components of the VIPA XT, however, have seen many updates. The bike features a full M8000 XT groupset, Fox’s new Float 32 fork (with the Fit 4 damper) and Float DPS shock, ZTR Crest rims on Shimano XT hubs, and custom Vee Tire Co Rail tires.

Vipa-Front-Double-Bottle-Cage-X-2.2.jpg
Vipa-Rear-X-2.2.jpg

The 2016 Momsen range will be unveiled at the Two Wheels Trading dealer launch on the 12th August in Johannesburg. Authorized Dealers will have information and details on the full range after the launch. The 2016 VIPA XT should arrive in mid August.

2016 VIPA XT Specifications:

• SizesSmall, Medium, Large
  • FrameFull Carbon Front Triangle,Full Carbon Rear Triangle, 80mm Rear Wheel Travel, New Dual Waterbottle Mount Design ( for Medium and Large Size )
  • ForkFox Float 32 with FIT 4 System, Performance Series w/Remote Lockout, 100mm Travel, 15mm Thru-Axle, Taper Steerer
  • ShockFox Float DPS( Dual Piston System ) w/Remote Lockout with 3 Position On-The-Fly Adjust – Open, Medium, Firm
  • Crankset Shimano XT M8000 36/26T for 11 Speed
  • Bottom BracketShimano BB-MT800 Pressfit
  • Front DerailleurShimano XT M8025-D for Direct Mount 11 Speed
  • Rear DerailleurShimano XT M8000 Shadow Plus for 11 Speed
  • ShiftersShimano XT M8000 I-Spec 2 for 11 Speed
  • Brake Levers Shimano XT M8000
  • BrakesShimano XT M8000 / SM-RT81 XT Rotors / 160mm Front and Rear
  • CassetteShimano XT M8000 11-40T for 11 Speed
  • RimsStan’s No Tubes ZTR Crest, Custom Decal, 32H
  • TiresVee Tire Co. Rail Custom Logo, 72tpi Folding Bead, Front: 29 x 2.25, Rear: 29 x 1.95
  • Pedalsnil
  • HandlebarRitchey MTN Comp 2X, 720mm +- 5mm Rise, 9 Degree Sweep, 31.8mm Oversize
  • Stem Ritchey 4-Axis WTD, 31.8mm Oversize
  • SeatpostRitchey 2B Comp, 31.6mm
  • SaddleFizik Gobi M7, Cordura Side, Magnesium Blasted Black Rail
  • HeadsetCustom Integrated Taper for VIPA
  • ChainShimano XT HG700-11 for 11 Speed
  • HubsetShimano XT HB-M8010 Front 15mm Thru-Axle, FH-M8010 Rear 12mm Thru-Axle
  • SpokesStainless Butted with Alloy Nipples
  • GripsSilicone Race
  • ColourGloss White / Orange

Key Features:

• Race Proven Full Carbon Full Suspension Frame with 80mm of Efficient Suspension Travel.
  • New Double Waterbottle Mount Feature on Medium and Large Frame Sizes * (Note: Momsen Design adaptor sold separately).
  • Fox Suspension Front and Rear – Fox Float 32 Front Fork with FIT 4 Damper and 15mm Thru-Axle / Fox Float DPS ( Dual Piston System ) Rear Shock with 3 Position On-The-Fly adjustment via Dual Remote Lockout – choose between Open, Medium or Firm Suspension Settings.
  • Shimano’s latest Deore XT M8000 Series Drivetrain – now upgraded to 11 Speed – Drivetrain includes Front and Rear Derailleurs, Shifters, Cassette, Chain, Brakes.
  • Stan’s ZTR Crest 29er Rims with BST (Bead Socket Technology) for easy tubeless conversion and true tubeless performance.
  • Vee Tire Co. Rail 72tip Folding Bead and Tubeless Ready Tyres.

Comments

Steven Knoetze (sk27)

Aug 3, 2015, 3:51 AM

Wow, looks horrible. Even.worse than the originals colours.

NicoBoshoff

Aug 3, 2015, 4:41 AM

Looks a lot like a scalpel.  An please don't bore me with "the suspension is different blah blah".  I'm just saying with that colour way the first thing that pops up in my mind is a Scalpel.

Pretty gross bike. It looks bloated and fat bellied.

Johny Bravo

Aug 3, 2015, 4:45 AM

That is hideous. Looks like a Makro/Game bike at first glance,

Monark

Aug 3, 2015, 4:58 AM

I like it, it looks different and fresh. I am glad to see a bike manufacturer stepping out and being bold. What I don't understand is why they have stayed with mediocre Fox suspension... some nice RS goodies would suit the bike better.

masterj

Aug 3, 2015, 4:59 AM

That looks awesome. I think in real life it would be striking.

slakke3

Aug 3, 2015, 5:00 AM

Jis no man.

Looks like one of momsens kids bikes.

Rick Sanchez

Aug 3, 2015, 5:23 AM

Also don't like the fact that they replaced the Stan's hubs with XT  :mellow:  :mellow:

And the colour scheme is not on...

Odinson

Aug 3, 2015, 5:24 AM

God awful looking bike. Get with the times, Momsen and run your cables internally. The bike looks so untidy.

shaper

Aug 3, 2015, 5:26 AM

Not a fan of the colour.. hope they give other options!

Baracuda

Aug 3, 2015, 5:48 AM

If you stripped out the water bottles, cages and cables it would look a lot cleaner.

Funny launch, no mention of geometry, thru axle on the back or how it would actually handle or feel. Just that they have made a low-rider camel.

HOEKVLAG

Aug 3, 2015, 6:32 AM

Colour is a very personal thing, but I prefer the older colours. Also, I'm really glad my frame does NOT have those bolts on the top tube - for a bag or something. I cannot believe they put that on a racing bike - not new for 2016 though.

I honestly feel that there was more attention to detail on the older ones - like the SA flag painted on the pivots. Would have to see the new one in real life to compare properly though.

I like the second bottle cage inside the triangle and could really use that - currently have to put the second bottle on the seat post so not a train smash.

Captain Fastbastard Mayhem

Aug 3, 2015, 6:38 AM

If you stripped out the water bottles, cages and cables it would look a lot cleaner.

Funny launch, no mention of geometry, thru axle on the back or how it would actually handle or feel. Just that they have made a low-rider camel.

It's not a full launch. It's a new paint scheme, with a few extra features. Same geometry and handling characteristics of the original one. Just a few extras, and a new paint scheme. 

Still prefer the original paint scheme. 

nonky

Aug 3, 2015, 6:42 AM

Looks like ORANGE is the new colour for 2015/6 - the new Stumpy also has orange flavours, incl an orange fork.

gummibear

Aug 3, 2015, 6:44 AM

I usually like orange bikes but can't say so with this one.Those arrange stripes in the tyres make it look like a Makro special.

rock

Aug 3, 2015, 6:45 AM

black tyres, no remote cable for the shock, flat bar and just the one bottle cage. 

you're welcome.

DJuice

Aug 3, 2015, 6:51 AM

Full disclosure: I am a very happy Vipa owner.

Wow! I like the new paint scheme.

The colour Orange not to my liking but in line with the other brands current bold and bright paint.

Like the black bolts, away from the gold.

What is important for me:

Unchanged shock design, since current setup works.

Question does the shock upside down still works as it should?

Two cages within one frame, brilliant simple solution!

I always felt their is enough space in the front triangle to accommodate two cages.

The shock pivot leverages was always in the way of my own possible solutions and the normal cage bosses being moved up in the frame.

I agree the cables looks untidy, but sure it can be fixed with neat and tidy cable setup by mechanic. For the convience it brings, sure one can live with it.

The bikes Momsen use for advertising I felt is always a bit untidy and not setup "racy" to show what one can do.

What is imporant for the success of this bike is value for money, I hope Momsen gets it right!!!!

What I would change, promote the brand Momsen more, and finish the bike with Momsen in house carbon bits.

Looking forward to the rest of the 2016 bikes.

Rocket-Boy

Aug 3, 2015, 6:54 AM

Why would a decently high end bike like that not have internal cable routing?

It just makes it look less appealing.

Iwan Kemp

Aug 3, 2015, 6:55 AM

Feedback / opinions on The Hub's Instagram

post-1575-0-46369600-1438584875_thumb.png

https://instagram.com/p/56FbaPEf9N

rock

Aug 3, 2015, 7:22 AM

http://msmagazine.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/2521756.jpg

rock

Aug 3, 2015, 7:23 AM

Why would a decently high end bike like that not have internal cable routing?

It just makes it look less appealing.

easier to service in the dark during your favorite south african stage race

rouxtjie

Aug 3, 2015, 7:29 AM

easier to service in the dark during your favorite south african stage race

This

I prefer external routing...you only have to do internal routing once to know what a ball ache it is...

PS...the trick is to tie a piece of cotton to the cable, then use a vacuum to suck the cotton thread on the other side and pull very gently...

Odinson

Aug 3, 2015, 7:49 AM

Feedback / opinions on The Hub's Instagram

attachicon.gifCapture.PNG

https://instagram.com/p/56FbaPEf9N

We all know Instagram is a circle jerk, so not too fussed about likes/opinions on that forum.

Crosschain

Aug 3, 2015, 8:26 AM

I had a orignal XT and later a Team Piva 

Great bike .... and I like the bold new colours !

Baracuda

Aug 3, 2015, 8:27 AM

It's not a full launch. It's a new paint scheme, with a few extra features. Same geometry and handling characteristics of the original one. Just a few extras, and a new paint scheme. 

Still prefer the original paint scheme. 

Really? The launch of a paint job?

Add a comment

You must log in to comment