Tech

First look: Five Ten Kestrel SPD clipless mountain bike shoes

· By Nick · 30 comments

After 5 years in development, Five Ten’s Kestrel SPD clipless shoe is almost ready to hit the trails. The Kestrel signals a new direction for Five Ten and sees them taking a direct stab at the enduro and trail riding market.

FiveTen Kestrel-1.jpg

The Kestrel is all about pedal efficiency and employs a carbon infused shank to transfer foot power to the pedals. Five Ten and Dial’d Bikes are so confident about the Kestrel’s pedalling prowess they’ve sponsored an Absa Cape Epic team for this year’s race.

FiveTen Kestrel-7.jpg
FiveTen Kestrel-10.jpg
FiveTen Kestrel-11.jpg

The Kestrel’s sole borrows from the company’s existing technology and features two rubber compounds. A softer Mi6 compound on the outer sole to assist mobility off the bike and a harder C4 compound around the cleat area reduces the chance of getting caught up while clipping in.

FiveTen Kestrel-5.jpg
FiveTen Kestrel-9.jpg

The upper has clearly taken some cues from it’s sleek XC cousins. A ratcheting BOA closure system attends to the lacing which promises a snug fit. The front of the shoe features a breathable yet splash resistant synthetic. The toe box is reinforced with rubber to protect you from those rocks and trees.

FiveTen Kestrel-2.jpg
FiveTen Kestrel-3.jpg
FiveTen Kestrel-4.jpg

The Kestrel is due to be released internationally in April. The date of availability in South Africa has yet to be confirmed. Pricing should be around the R2,500 mark.

The Five Ten Kestrel will be available through your local Five Ten dealer.

FiveTen Kestrel-12.jpg

Comments

CAAD4

Feb 16, 2015, 6:06 AM

Finally a reason to look at Five Ten shoes...

NicoBoshoff

Feb 16, 2015, 6:14 AM

No photo of actual cleat segment?

Nick

Feb 16, 2015, 6:24 AM

No photo of actual cleat segment?

Hi Nico

Are you referring to the segment on the sole or the actual metal cleats? Segment on the sole, there is an image of that here. Metal cleats, I didn't get a shot of those.

I notice that I failed to mention that they use the SPD clipless system. Better add that.

NicoBoshoff

Feb 16, 2015, 6:57 AM

Shot.  Weird that my PC crops some of the articles on The HUb.

popcorn_skollie

Feb 16, 2015, 7:40 AM

I'm just glad they made a pair that doesnt look like it belongs in a hiphop music video

droenn

Feb 16, 2015, 7:47 AM

R2500?!

They look OK but thats wayyy expensive.

Bizkit031

Feb 16, 2015, 8:07 AM

Pricy,cheaper versions out there for what it represents.

Headshot

Feb 16, 2015, 9:49 AM

Many reasons to like Five10 actually. At least when you're in a pair of Hellcats you don't look like a dork off the ballet set :-)

Ylandre

Feb 16, 2015, 10:32 AM

Team Verifi with an "I" who will be cycling the ABSA Cape Epic 2015, was given the opportunity to test these shoes for the Epic and they love them.  They are light and comfortable.  Best compliment is that you can walk comfortably in these after a race, they don't slip on stones and rocks as your normal shoes.  They are really great

Iwan Kemp

Feb 16, 2015, 5:05 PM

Looks good. Have been looking for a cleat shoe and this looks like a great option.

Wayne Potgieter

Feb 16, 2015, 5:14 PM

I think they look quite lekker.

Sidewinder.

Feb 16, 2015, 5:16 PM

I've been waiting for the release of these for months now...but god damm R2500??

Nick

Mar 3, 2015, 1:26 PM

VitalMTB have published a review of the Kestrel here: http://www.vitalmtb.com/product/guide/Clipless-Shoes,61/Five-Ten/Kestrel,15689#product-reviews/2029

Iwan Kemp

Mar 3, 2015, 2:06 PM

The Hub reviews are better.  :ph34r:  Like Woolworths Coke, it just is. 

Bizkit031

Mar 3, 2015, 5:31 PM

Now we wait?

CAAD4

Mar 3, 2015, 5:43 PM

The Hub reviews are better. :ph34r: Like Woolworths Coke, it just is.

I agree, but... I sure do miss their Pink Marshmallow drink which was removed after they were smacked back by Frankie's...

Iwan Kemp

Mar 20, 2015, 1:51 PM

Do we have an updated ETA yet? 

Nick

Mar 23, 2015, 12:59 PM

Latest news is that the shipment will land in April.

skipperw

Mar 23, 2015, 1:23 PM

Maybe I've missed it, but who will stock these once they land?

Nick

Mar 23, 2015, 1:28 PM

Shops that deal with Dial'd Bikes: http://dialdbikes.co.za/our-dealers.html

SimpleDom

Mar 23, 2015, 1:33 PM

Those are purdy.

Bizkit031

Apr 1, 2015, 11:16 PM

Any idea when in April they arrive?

Monark

Apr 2, 2015, 5:44 AM

I'm also keen to see them

Nick

May 8, 2015, 5:41 AM

Heads up: The Kestrel and other 2015 Five Ten shoes are now available for pre-order from Dial'd Bikes here.

Add a comment

You must log in to comment