Tech

First Look Friday: BH Lynx 4.8, Roam 40 wheels, and Oakley Factory Lite gloves

· By Press Office · 21 comments

First Look Friday is an introduction to the products that we are currently testing for review. This week we’re featuring the BH Lynx 4.8, SRAM’s Roam 40 wheels and the Factory Lite gloves from Oakley.

BH Lynx 4.8 Carbon 29” 9.5

ccs-62657-0-10621500-1453452502.jpg

The Lynx 4.8 sits firmly in the cross country trail bike category, with 120mm travel, short stays and a 68 degree head angle. A bike that will let you compete in a long distance endurance event on Saturday and on Sunday head out to enjoy some tricky trails. Going on the reputation of the Split Pivot suspension layout, there’s no reason the Lynx shouldn’t pedal as well as it descends. That’s the idea anyway, we’re eager to see just how well the BH performs as a cross country all rounder.

The carbon 9.5 model comes kitted with suspension from RockShox, the Reba and Monarch doing duty in the front and rear respectively. A mix of GX and other SRAM components make up the 1x drivetrain while Magura MT4 brakes are tasked with stopping your momentum. To add to the trail flavour, a KS Supernatural dropper post comes standard. The wheelset is BH’s own Super Lite wrapped in Michelin rubber.

ccs-62657-0-36580500-1453452503.jpg

ccs-62657-0-79723300-1453452502.jpg
ccs-62657-0-63320300-1453452502.jpg

Specifications:

• FrameLynx 4.8 Carbon 29″
  • Rear shockRock Shox Monarch RT
  • ForkRock Shox Reba
  • StemBH Lite
  • HeadsetBH Evo
  • Shifter leversSram GX11
  • Rear derailleurGX 1400 175 32T
  • Crank setSram S1000 32T
  • BB SetSram
  • ChainPC1130 11S
  • CassetteSram 1150 10/42
  • ChainSram
  • Front brakeMagura MT4 180mm
  • Rear brakeMagura MT4 160mm
  • WheelsetBH Super Lite
  • TyresMichelin Wild Racer 2.25/ Grip’R 2.25
  • SaddlePrologo Kappa
  • SeatclampBH Lite
  • SeatpostKS Supernatural
  • HandlebarBH Lite Rizer
  • GripsBH
  • Weight12.4 kg
  • Retail PriceR57 500

SRAM Roam 40 wheelset

ccs-62657-0-14509300-1453456060.jpg

The Roam 30 and 40 wheelsets are SRAM’s more cost conscious wheelsets fitting in below the Roam 50 and 60 offerings. The Roam 40 wheelset features a UST tubeless aluminium rim measuring 21mm internally and 25.5mm externally. The Roam 40 wheels use 24 straight-pull spokes front and rear with a two-cross pattern. While the Roam 30 wheels makes use of brass nipples, the Roam 40 features aluminium nipples to save weight. The rear hub uses 4 pawls and a ratchet ring with 26 teeth, meaning 52 points of engagement and 6.9 engagement degrees.

ccs-62657-0-78873700-1453455993.jpg
ccs-62657-0-13282600-1453455994.jpg
ccs-62657-0-74450200-1453455994.jpg

The SRAM Roam 40 wheelset retails for R11,300.

Specifications:

• Wheel sizes26″, 27.5″, 29″
  • Weight1560g (26″), 1615g (27.5″), 1695g (29″)
  • Spoke Count24
  • Spoke Pattern2 cross
  • TypeCustom – straight pull
  • FinishBlack oxide
  • Rim shapeTubeless ready – Asymmetrical 2.5mm offset
  • Rim usedAluminium 6061 T6
  • Spoke lengthSolo Spoke
  • NipplesExternal alloy
  • ColourBlack Ano

Oakley Factory Lite Gloves

ccs-62657-0-99846900-1453446047.jpg

The Oakley Factory Lite gloves look to offer lightweight comfort while still giving sturdy protection. Instead of padding on the palm, the Factory Lite use a durable leather-like material called Calrino, which promises to protect while providing feedback to the hand. Oakley make a point of their O Hydrolix moisture management technology which carries sweat from the hand to the outer layers of the glove to control warmth. The Oakley Factory Lite retail for R499.

We’ll be slipping these gloves on and testing Oakley claims of a durable and lightweight mountain biking glove.

ccs-62657-0-30455300-1453446048.jpg
ccs-62657-0-63944600-1453446048.jpg

Related posts

Comments

Rocket-Boy

Jan 22, 2016, 12:20 PM

Is it just me that thinks those roams are super overpriced for what they are?

Bizkit031

Jan 22, 2016, 12:43 PM

Is it just me that thinks those roams are super overpriced for what they are?
Reviews on them are not great.
Brett mal

Jan 22, 2016, 12:59 PM

yes I agree they are way over priced.

NicoBoshoff

Jan 22, 2016, 1:13 PM

Reviews on them are not great.

I beg to differ:

https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/157034-sram-roam-40/

Bizkit031

Jan 22, 2016, 4:31 PM

That is one you found.
Rocket-Boy

Jan 22, 2016, 5:25 PM

So wait, you posted a link to your own review and expect everyone to take it as them being great.

You can pick up a set of flows on hope for R5499, so are you saying that its a good idea to buy these rather with no proven track record and narrower inner diameter for more than double the price?

My mind boggles a little.

Captain Fastbastard Mayhem

Jan 22, 2016, 6:21 PM

So wait, you posted a link to your own review and expect everyone to take it as them being great.

You can pick up a set of flows on hope for R5499, so are you saying that its a good idea to buy these rather with no proven track record and narrower inner diameter for more than double the price?

This. And a 24 spoke rim at that. Nee dankie. 

NicoBoshoff

Jan 22, 2016, 6:23 PM

That is one you found.

Uhm... More like one I wrote.

NicoBoshoff

Jan 22, 2016, 6:29 PM

What boggles the mind is that I spent 2 months on them, formed my own opinion of them, wrote as thorough a review as I could and thought I'd share it here for what it's worth, yet you choose to respond with snark.

If you read my review you'd see I had my reasons for saying what I said.

Sorry for having an opinion that differs from yours.

NicoBoshoff

Jan 22, 2016, 6:33 PM

This. And a 24 spoke rim at that. Nee dankie.

Have you ridden them Myles? Or does your extensive online research warrant such a dismissive attitude?

Pretty sure if I didn't manage to wreck them most riders will be just fine. But what do I know. Someone in the Pinkbike forums confirmed they're *** so it must be so.

Jan 22, 2016, 6:45 PM

Nico, honestly - I struggle to find any love for a wheel build that uses 24 spokes and an inner width that narrow, when you can (as rocket has said) get a flow / hope build at less than half the price, and it'll be stiffer and offer better handling characteristics. 

Yes, it may not be as light, but then this wheelset should be aimed squarely at the XC crowd. And even then, the wide lightnings offer better value, albeit with a lower engagement... 

Jan 22, 2016, 6:49 PM

Have you ridden them Myles? Or does your extensive online research warrant such a dismissive attitude?

Pretty sure if I didn't manage to wreck them most riders will be just fine. But what do I know. Someone in the Pinkbike forums confirmed they're *** so it must be so.

Woah. Easy, Tiger.

24 hole

21mm internal width.

Those are not figures that inspire confidence in a 106kg hacker, despite what someone of your experience says. Especially at 12 grand.

Also, having experienced the difference that a wider set of wheels makes to grip and feel on the trail, in this case it DOES satisfy my requirements for dismissal. Again. Especially at that price.

Rocket-Boy

Jan 22, 2016, 7:04 PM

What boggles the mind is that I spent 2 months on them, formed my own opinion of them, wrote as thorough a review as I could and thought I'd share it here for what it's worth, yet you choose to respond with snark.

If you read my review you'd see I had my reasons for saying what I said.

Sorry for having an opinion that differs from yours.

Dont get me wrong, I read that review when you originally posted it and I liked it.

I would also like the wheels if they were priced slightly lower than say a set of flows.

I didnt dispute at any stage that the wheels could be quite good, I was saying the price is crazy nutsos.

Dont take it personally, Im sure you can at least agree the price it way too high.

NicoBoshoff

Jan 22, 2016, 7:15 PM

Dont get me wrong, I read that review when you originally posted it and I liked it.

I would also like the wheels if they were priced slightly lower than say a set of flows.

I didnt dispute at any stage that the wheels could be quite good, I was saying the price is crazy nutsos.

Dont take it personally, Im sure you can at least agree the price it way too high.

Yes, must concede I figured they'd be around R8k. That price is a bit rough.

Jan 22, 2016, 7:17 PM

Yes, must concede I figured they'd be around R8k. That price is a bit rough.

Agreed. At that price it'd be a lot easier to stomach.

Bizkit031

Jan 23, 2016, 4:11 AM

Yea I think we have established that already, you don't take criticism very well and this is where guys are going to give their opinion good or bad we all have one.
NicoBoshoff

Jan 23, 2016, 5:55 AM

Yea I think we have established that already, you don't take criticism very well and this is where guys are going to give their opinion good or bad we all have one.

No, I'm fine with criticism. Your reply was stated as if I trawled the Web for that one positive review. Just pointed out it was not that.

And criticism is one thing. Knee-jerk keyboard warriorism based on zero first hand experience is another.

It's ok though. We don't have to get along.

Bizkit031

Jan 23, 2016, 6:04 AM

No, I'm fine with criticism. Your reply was stated as if I trawled the Web for that one positive review. Just pointed out it was not that.

And criticism is one thing. Knee-jerk keyboard warriorism based on zero first hand experience is another.

It's ok though. We don't have to get along.

Hey what ever makes you feel happy with how you see things,over and out.✌
NicoBoshoff

Jan 23, 2016, 6:10 AM

Just to be clear. I am just disappointed by the fact that I went into my test period with the same preconceived ideas about the wheelset's specs, and detailed how they proved me wrong, yet the reaction isn't one of "Well good on SRAM for managing that". Rather it's just a rehashing of everyone's own pre-existing notions. Which tells me the product will never be given a fair chance,price aside.

Yes, I may take things too personally. My wife tells me every day. But my heart is firmly on my sleeve.

Slowbee

Jan 23, 2016, 6:23 AM

Just to be clear. I am just disappointed by the fact that I went into my test period with the same preconceived ideas about the wheelset's specs, and detailed how they proved me wrong, yet the reaction isn't one of "Well good on SRAM for managing that". Rather it's just a rehashing of everyone's own pre-existing notions. Which tells me the product will never be given a fair chance,price aside.

Yes, I may take things too personally. My wife tells me every day. But my heart is firmly on my sleeve.

Nice comeback !

*tips the hat*

sonofbovril

Feb 2, 2016, 12:42 PM

The wheels may be worthy of the praise Nico gave them, unfortunately at that price I will never try them. I could get i9 hubs on carbon rims at that price!

Add a comment

You must log in to comment