Garmin introduced their Varia rear light and radar following the acquisition of Backtracker in early 2015. They have since added a smart headlight and in-sight display as well as full system integration with some of their GPS head units.
Varia Smart Bike Headlight & Tail Light
The Varia smart bike lights aim to create a safer riding environment by adjusting to changing light conditions as well as bike speed. As speed increases a rider needs to see further ahead in order to react to road conditions in time. The Varia headlight automatically lifts the beam to project the light further down the road. As ambient light fades or gets brighter, both the headlight and tail light adjust automatically when paired with a light-sensing Edge 1000 bike computer while its beam cutoff prevents the headlight from blinding oncoming drivers.
- Works independently and seamlessly integrates with compatible Edge cycling computers
- As rider's speed increases, the headlight automatically projects further ahead or closer as a rider's speed changes when paired with select Edge computers
- As light conditions change, the smart Varia headlights and tail light automatically get brighter or dimmer, when paired with a light-sensing Edge 1000
- Adjustments, including on/off, can be made manually with the use of an included remote
- With 2 tail lights you can indicate impending right or left turns
Varia Vision In-sight Display
The Varia Vision attaches to your sunglasses to display key data, including performance data, turn-by-turn directions, incoming smart notifications and more. When paired with the Varia rearview radar system, the Varia Vision warns users of traffic approaching from behind. The Varia Vision weighs in at a scant 29.7 grams, features 8 hours of always-on battery life, and a glove and wet-weather friendly touch panel to rotate between data displays. Its adaptable mounting allows it to attach to either arm of the glasses and is fully adjustable for optimum display positioning. Varia Vision features a durable, weatherproof design with an integrated ambient light sensor and colour display that ensures readability in all conditions.
- Featherweight device easily attaches to either side of your favourite sunglasses to put ride information right in your line of sight
- Displays performance data, directions and more from compatible Edge cycling devices
- Pairs with Varia rearview radar to notify of vehicles approaching from behind
- Provides vibration alerts for key performance, direction, radar and call/text prompts
- Convenient touch panel eases transitions between data screens, even if wearing gloves
Varia Rearview Radar and Display Unit Bundle
For our take on the Varia Rearview Radar and Display outside of the Varia Smart Bike ecosystem, head over to our full review here.
- World's first cycling radar that warns of vehicles approaching from behind up to 140 meters
- Works independently and wirelessly integrates with compatible Edge cycling computers
- When paired, the Edge computer or Varia head unit can detect multiple vehicles and indicates the relative speed of approach and threat level
- Tail light unit brightens and flashes to notify approaching traffic of a cyclist ahead
Varia Rearview Radar and Display Unit Bundle - R 4 499
Varia Smart Bike Tail Light - R 1 599
Varia Smart Bike Headlight - R 3 599
Varia Vision - R 6 899
Bike Hub will be giving away a Garmin Varia Bundle (1 of each of the above) to a lucky reader, so keep your eyes open for the full review.