Niner R.I.P. 9 RDO
The R.I.P 9 is Niner's do-everything trail bike with 125-millimeters of rear-wheel travel. The RDO (Race Day Optimised) is the full carbon model that sits at the top of the range. It features a carbon swingarm and rocker links with oversized aluminium axles. The suspension design is Niner's own patented CVA (Constantly Varying Arc) dual-link rear suspension.
There is also a carbon front triangle / alloy rear triangle "RIP 9 Carbon" available to help keep the retail price in check, although it doesn't skimp on any features. While I get the (cool) RDO branding, calling the Carbon / Alloy model "Carbon" is a little confusing.
The bike we have on test comes dressed in the best of the best gear - all of it working together to make this bike go fast.
- FrameRIP 9 RDO – MATTE WHITE/NINER GREEN or LICORICE BLACK
- ForkRockShox PIKE RCT3 Solo Air 140mm, 15MM
- ShockFox Float CTD with Kashima coat
- WheelsNOTUBES 3.30/ZTR FLOW EX, 15MM FRONT, 142 X 12MM REAR
- TiresSCHWALBE NOBBY NIC SNAKESKIN TL, 2.35
- Brakes and RotorsShimano XT M785 ICE Tech Pads with 180/160MM Rotors
- Brake LeversShimano XT M785
- ShifterSRAM XO1 11sp
- Rear DerailleurSRAM XO1 11sp
- ShiftersShimano XT M8000 I-Spec 2 for 11 Speed
- CassetteSRAM XG 1195 11sp 10-42T
- ChainSRAM PC 1170
- CranksetSRAM X1 GXP 32T
- Bottom BracketSRAM GXP
- SaddleNiner Custom with Cr-Mo Rails, Niner Graphic
- Seat postRockShox Reverb
- HandlebarNINER Flat Top RDO, 780MM, Red Niner Graphic
- Stem NINER Trail Stem, Red Niner Graphic
- GripsNINER Grrrips
Darkhorse Wheels DH29 MTB wheels
Despite being a well-known brand on the road, Darkhorse Wheels products are still rare on the dirt. We got our hands on a set of DH29 wheels to see if Darkhorse can translate their solid road offering to mountain biking.
The DH29 carbon wheelset weighs in at 1460 grams. Sapim CX Ray spokes hold everything in place. The hubs are Bitex and feature easily changeable caps for different axle sizes. The DH29 wheelset retails for R13,195.
- Rim: High modulus full carbon rim. Hookless design. Tubeless ready.
- Weight: 1460 grams per set
- Hubs: Bitex MTF15 front ; MTR12 rear
- Spokes: Sapim CX Ray 32 front and rear spokes, 3 cross pattern.
- Nipples: Sapim SILS secure lock nipples
- Max Tyre: pressure 45psi
- Rider weight limit: 100kg
- Bearings: 4 sealed cartridge enduro bearings front and rear
- O.L.D: 100/110mm front ; 135/142mm rear
- Axle: QR/15/20mm front ; QR/12mm rear
- Rim dimension: 23mm deep x 27mm wide
- Freebody: XX1/ 10spd/ 11spd
FUNN Mamba Pedals
Funn's Mamba SPD-style clipless pedal is aimed towards DH, AM and Enduro riders looking for a pedal with a wider platform.
A DU bushing, needle bearing, and a sealed cartridge bearing are found inside the pedal's 6061 aluminium body. All of which can be easily greased through FUNN's unique and patented Grease Renew System allows you to inject new grease, and the old will be squeezed out. No more dirty hands and the ease of operation should mean longer lasting bearings thanks to regular maintenance.
Up to 4 traction pins can be screwed into each side of the pedal to add grip. The Mamba's claimed weight is 590 grams per pair for the double sided version, and 530 grams per pair for the single sided version and are available in black, grey, red, blue, orange.
RRP R1,950 for the two-sided and R1,250 for the one-sided.