Tech

First Look Friday: Silverback Sesta and Schwalbe Nobby Nic

· By BikeHubCoreAdmin · 20 comments

First Look Friday is an introduction to the products that we are currently testing for review. This week we’re previewing the Silverback Sesta Pro and Schwalbe Nobby Nic tyres.

Silverback Sesta Pro

Silverback Sesta 1.jpg

Silverback have gained a reputation for offering good value bikes with well thought-out component choices. The Sesta sees the company translate this to the high end segment of the market with a full carbon dual suspension racer.

The first good look we had of a Sesta was Martin Gujan’s bike at the Absa Cape Epic in 2015. Back then it still had the prototype aluminium rear triangle.

Silverback Sesta 2.jpg

The Sesta Pro leaves the shop floor ready to race featuring RockShox and Fox suspension, a Stan’s wheelset, and a Shimano XT groupset. Silverback are proud of the stiffness they have achieved in the rear of the Sesta and it is something we’re keen to test out.

Silverback Sesta 3.jpg
Silverback Sesta 4.jpg

Specifications (according to website):

• FrameSB Advanced Dynamics Carbon 29” Suspension, Tapered 1-1/8” – 1.5” Headtube, Press-Fit BB Shell, Full Carbon Rear Triangle, Carbon linkages, 142 x 12mm Thru Axle Integrated Dropouts, Replaceable Alloy hanger, XGuide Cable management System
  • SizeS / M / L
  • ForkRock Shox SID RL, 100mm Travel, Solo Air, Tapered Alloy Steerer, Remote OneLoc Sprint, QR15mm Dropout, Diffusion Black
  • ShockFox Float DPS, 3 Position Adjusments, 90mm travel, 165mm x 38mm, Stainless Steel 10mm hardware
  • RimsStan’s Crest 29”, Alloy 32H, Stan’s Yellow Rimtape and Valves, Black, Custom Decal colours
  • HubsStan’s 3.30, 100 x 15mm front and 142 x 12mm rear Axles, 6-Bolt, Disc hubs, Black
  • TyresSchwalbe Racing Ralph EVO, 29″ x 2.1″, Tubeless Ready, Folding
  • StemSector Radius, 3D Forged 6061 Alloy, S/M: 80mm; L: 90mm, 7° x ∮31.8mm, Stainless Steel hardware, Black
  • HandlebarSector Plane, Double Butted 6061 Alloy, W: 700mm; Back Sweep: 9° x ∮31.8mm, Matte Marble, Black
  • SeatpostSector Level, CNC 6061 Alloy shaft, ∮31.6mm x 400mm, Black bolts
  • SaddleSector Performance, CRN-Ti Rails
  • Brake SetShimano XT BL/BR-M8000, Open Hydraulic System, Metal Pads, Levers Rotors Front: 180mm; Rear: 160mm, 6-Bolt, Black
  • ShiftersShimano XT SL-M8000, 1×11 Trigger, Black
  • Rear derailleurShimano XT Shadow Tech Plus RD-M8000, Long Cage, 11 Speed
  • CassetteShimano XT CS-M8000, 11 Speed, 11-42T, Silver
  • CranksetShimano XT Crankset, 32T, L:175mm, All Sizes, Black
  • Bottom bracketShimano, Press-Fit BB
  • Retail PriceR60,000

Schwalbe Nobby Nic Evolution

Schwalbe market the Nobby Nic as a good rolling tyre with sufficient grip for all mountain riders. We’ve always been a bit underwhelmed when pushing the Nobby Nic hard but last year Schwalbe overhauled the design.

Schwalbe Nobby Nic 1.jpg

The new Nobby Nic retains its lightweight and rolling ability but gains a tougher version of Schwalbe’s Snakeskin sidewall as well as a new tread pattern in an effort to improve grip. We’re eager to see how the new Nobby Nic handles on the trails.

The Nobby Nic Evolution retails for R750 – R800.

Comments

Hairy

Apr 8, 2016, 2:06 PM

That Sesta should have been called "The Sexy"!

DJuice

Apr 8, 2016, 2:57 PM

Nick, please consider a head-on review of Sesta, Vipa and AMS 100.

In the same price bracket, German vs SA design and suspension...

scotty

Apr 8, 2016, 4:42 PM

Me like !

Serious Panda

Apr 8, 2016, 5:41 PM

I ride a Sesta and it is magnificent. Best bike in its price class and I would say better than any bike even 33% more expensive. The new technology design in the Sesta is carried over on to the trails and this bike is extremely fast - mind blowingly fast! Well done Silverback you built something special and can be bought for cheaper than the competition!

Cycle Worx LBN

Apr 8, 2016, 5:48 PM

A correction is that the crankset is 1 x RaceFace turbine not Shimano XT 1x. This was a later change after the specs were announced for their website and catalogue.

We have since sold one and have interest in more and you can't afford it but want a similar quality ride, the Silverback Sprada 1 is worth looking at for R44k, just as sexy, but in aluminium skin not carbon.

Contact us if you are interested in ordering one.

Cycleworx Langebaan 

Serious Panda

Apr 8, 2016, 5:53 PM

We have since sold one and have interest in more and you can't afford it but want a similar quality ride, the Silverback Sprada 1 is worth looking at for R44k.

Contact us if you are interested in ordering one.

Cycleworx Langebaan 

No, Sprada 1 is not comparable to the Sesta at all.

Cant afford the Sesta Pro wait for the Sesta Race. No Sprada!

Jaco-fiets

Apr 8, 2016, 6:00 PM

Hear good things about the silverback range lately. Do you think they would be able to shake the "cheaper brand" stigma and actually compete in the R60 000 category for a XT bike?

NicoBoshoff

Apr 8, 2016, 6:07 PM

That Sesta is great value. Full carbon with race ready spec for R60k. Sadly unheard of.

Serious Panda

Apr 8, 2016, 6:20 PM

Hear good things about the silverback range lately. Do you think they would be able to shake the "cheaper brand" stigma and actually compete in the R60 000 category for a XT bike?

Compete in the 60k range? The Sesta is probably the best bike to buy under 85k. Not only this, the Burst suspension design of the Sesta with its solid rear triangle is a superior design to, I would say, all other bikes! I also ride a great other brand 100mm dually that is worth about 90k new, and the Sesta is the stiffer and faster bike. The Sesta has won design awards for a reason, it is a superior modern suspension design.

Jaco-fiets

Apr 8, 2016, 6:31 PM

Compete in the 60k range? The Sesta is probably the best bike to buy under 85k. Not only this, the Burst suspension design of the Sesta with its solid rear triangle is a superior design to, I would say, all other bikes! I also ride a great other brand 100mm dually that is worth about 90k new, and the Sesta is the stiffer and faster bike. The Sesta has won design awards for a reason, it is a superior modern suspension design.

Sure i get that but my point was about brand perception. I think it is a terrific bike even though i have not ridden 1. It would def be on my short list should i switch to a dual

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

DJuice

Apr 8, 2016, 6:55 PM

Interested in the Sesta or Cube AMS to replace my Vipa.

The new superior suspension design against the euro design suspension and spec.

With no rear pivot and frame flex,does the carbon not fatigue? Or flexy rear end? From the first picture, a rear strut brace was added.

The Cube looks neat and tide and two cages on the frame.

Only seen one Sesta with FD and the cabling was real messy...

I know what I have in my Vipa, will any of the other two bikes be better?

Hopefully the reviews will assist.

Nick

Apr 8, 2016, 7:01 PM

Nick, please consider a head-on review of Sesta, Vipa and AMS 100.

In the same price bracket, German vs SA design and suspension...

I'll ask Admin to give a quick comparison once he gets a chance to ride the Sesta. He is currently testing the Cube and has lots of experience on a Vipa.

Serious Panda

Apr 8, 2016, 7:12 PM

I have a lot of experience on a Rocky Mountain Element RSL970 - a great bike. The Sesta is a stiffer and faster bike. I also have experience with a BMC FS02 xt which is also more expensive than a Sesta. There is absolutely no comparison between the Sesta and the FS02, the Sesta is 1.6 kgs lighter and completely blows away the BMC.

Serious Panda

Apr 8, 2016, 7:28 PM

Spez Epic Comp Carbon for 55k with its alu rear triangle, deore brakes, and its impossible to find weight? - no thanks I`ll take the Sesta.

xero7

Apr 13, 2016, 12:47 PM

is it possible just to get the frame?

Iwan Kemp

Apr 13, 2016, 1:00 PM

There will be, but no confirmed date or price just yet. 

Rocket-Boy

Apr 13, 2016, 1:09 PM

I have a cupcake for your profile pic...

canadonis

Apr 29, 2016, 9:59 PM

Nice looking bike..my only issue is the wheel spec with Crest..Can a bigger boned person swap crest for flow?

Hairy

Apr 30, 2016, 3:37 PM

Nice looking bike..my only issue is the wheel spec with Crest..Can a bigger boned person swap crest for flow?

that would be a question your lbs well have to answer as they would have to do the swap for you. ....ps.... I am also big boned;:P

Add a comment

You must log in to comment