Tech

First Look Friday: SwiftCarbon Ultravox RS-1; Giant Rail; Specialized Fast Trak

· By BikeHubCoreAdmin · 10 comments

First Look Friday is an introduction to the products that we are currently testing for review. This week we’re previewing the SwiftCarbon Ultravox RS-1, Giant Rail helmet, and Specialized Fast Trak Control 2Bliss Ready tyres.

SwiftCarbon Ultravox RS-1

SwiftCarbon UltraVox RS-1.jpg

The Swift Ultravox RS-1 is a full carbon race machine which, on paper, provides unbeatable value. The RS-1 is the second tier in the Ultravox lineup behind the Ti (Team issue) version as ridden by Aussie based Drapac Pro Cycling team. The two models differ only in the carbon fibres used in the layup with the Ti version utilising some of the highest quality (and most expensive) options.

The Ultravox RS-1 is available locally with three build options: Shimano 105, Ultegra and Ultegra Race (including Zipp Firecrest 202/303/404s). Our test model is the middle option kitted out with full Shimano Ultegra, Ritchey WCS alloy finishing kit and Mavic Aksium Elite wheels.

Specifications:

• FrameUltravox RS-1 T700/T800
  • ForkSwiftCarbon 700C carbon fibre
  • HeadsetSwiftCarbon 1.1/8”-1.1/2” tapered
  • ShiftersShimano Ultegra
  • DerailleursShimano Ultegra
  • CranksetShimano Ultegra
  • BrakesShimano Ultegra
  • Bottom bracketShimano Ultegra
  • CassetteShimano Ultegra, 11-28t
  • HandlebarsRitchey WCS Alloy
  • StemRitchey WCS Alloy
  • SeatpostRitchey WCS Alloy
  • SaddleRitchey Streem V3 WCS
  • WheelsMavic Aksium Elite
  • TyresMavic, 700x25c Yksion
  • Retail priceR38,600.00

Giant Rail helmet

The Rail is Giant’s take on the extended cover trail and enduro helmet.

Giant Rail helmet 1.jpg

Giant Rail helmet 2.jpg
Giant Rail helmet 3.jpg

The Rail is packed with features. An adjustable (and removable) visor allows for compatibility with goggles and eyewear, while out back an integrated goggle strap holds things in place. There is a spot in front designed for easy application of GoPro stick-on mounts. While 18 air vents are used to keep the rider cool with internal channels for better airflow.

The Giant Rail retails for R1,595.

Specialized Fast Trak Control 2Bliss Ready tyres

Specialized Fast Trak tyres 2.jpg

The Specialized Fast Trak Control 2Bliss Ready tyres use the same tread as the weight-weenie S-Works version but with the Control casing cut resistance is beefed up by 15%. We have the 29er 2.2 and 2.0 widths on test, both coming in under the claimed weight 600 grams and 560 grams on our scale respectively.

Specifications:

• Casing: 60 TPI for 15% improved cut-resistance over S-Works model
  • Bead: Foldable
  • Butyl wrapped bead = 2Bliss Ready
  • Compound: 60a
  • 26 x 2.0″; psi 35-65; approximate weight 540g
  • 26 x 2.2″; psi 35-65; approximate weight 580g
  • 650b x 2.0″; psi 35-65; approximate weight 565g
  • 650b x 2.2″; psi 35-65; approximate weight 600g
  • 29 x 2.0″; psi 35-65; approximate weight 580g
  • 29 x 2.2″; psi 35-65; approximate weight 620g

Specialized Fast Trak tyres 1.jpg
Specialized Fast Trak tyres 3.jpg

A Fast Trak Control 2Bliss Ready tyre retails for R489.00.

Related posts

Comments

FCH

May 20, 2016, 1:01 PM

Here I was thinking a Rockshox RS1 on a road bike....... Wonder if Swift ran this past the ip team from sram.

Hilton.

May 20, 2016, 1:06 PM

Here I was thinking a Rockshox RS1 on a road bike....... Wonder if Swift ran this past the ip team from sram.

I think Swift had this model in their catalogue before Rockshox ever announced their RS-1

FCH

May 20, 2016, 1:09 PM

Fair enough. Cant say that I am remotely informed on road bikes lineage.

I think Swift had this model in their catalogue before Rockshox ever announced their RS-1
Hairy

May 21, 2016, 5:56 AM

Was accrual looking at that giant helmet in the week, and it looks like a great lid!

raptor-22

May 21, 2016, 5:59 AM

Fair enough. Cant say that I am remotely informed on road bikes lineage.

I doubt swift was around in the early 90's when the original RS-1was launched....

Likely using the name with permission

kader01

May 22, 2016, 11:17 AM

Nice review of the helmet. Where in south africa can purchase it? Preferably cape town.

Iwan Kemp

May 22, 2016, 12:38 PM

Nice review of the helmet. Where in south africa can purchase it? Preferably cape town.

Giant Concept Store in Cape Town will be able to help. 

raptor-22

May 22, 2016, 3:01 PM

any Giant stockist will have access to the helmets.

I've seen them at the concept store in Town, Durbanville, Williams Bie SHop in Somerset West & Olympic cycles Kenilworth.

Retailing around R1600-00

kader01

May 22, 2016, 7:28 PM

Cool thanx alot guys. Returning the fox and getting this beaut

Hairy

May 25, 2016, 8:33 AM

any Giant stockist will have access to the helmets.

I've seen them at the concept store in Town, Durbanville, Williams Bie SHop in Somerset West & Olympic cycles Kenilworth.

Retailing around R1600-00

R1500 at the Giant Concept Store in CT

Add a comment

You must log in to comment