Tech

First Look: Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Expert Carbon 6Fattie

· By Bike Hub Features · 46 comments

Next up in our long term test fleet is the Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Expert Carbon 6Fattie. Another absolute stunner, this bike had us taking turns trying to pop a wheelie in the car park. We’ll be treating the bike as one of our own for the year: documenting the journey, and ultimately providing an in-depth review like never before.

ccs-58780-0-76848500-1486547227.jpg

The 6Fattie will reside primarily with Matt, so expect to see a blur of red shooting down the rockiest lines at Tokai.

For those who aren’t sure, 6Fattie is Specialized’s name for 27.5+ sized wheels. These, in a nutshell, are wider 27.5 rims, run with 2.8 to 3″ tyres. In terms of tyre width, this is somewhere between a 5″ fat bike tyre and a commonly run 2.3″ tyre.

ccs-2-0-44541100-1486699908.jpg

The Stumpjumer 6Fattie is also compatible with 29er wheels, and we are really looking forward to swapping out the wheels to see how the wheel size affects the ride. This may be the two-bikes-in-one solution that some riders are looking for: and we can’t wait to find out.

The Expert Carbon build

The Expert Carbon 6Fattie has a Fact 9m carbon frame, including the indescribably handy SWAT door in the down tube of the front triangle and a multitool stowed in the top tube. Squish is supplied by a 150 millimetre Rockshox Pike at the front, and a RockShox Monarch RT3 trail tune shock at the rear. Roval Traverse wheels wrapped in Purgatory 3″ tyres provide traction. A RaceFace crank with a 28 tooth chainring powers a SRAM GX and X1 mixed drivetrain with SRAM Guide R stoppers.

But why Plus size?

The wider tyres provide a greater air volume and therefore more cushioning. They also have a greater contact area, providing huge amounts of grip and stability. With the increased depth that comes with a 27.5+ tyre, the final outer diameter is close to that of a 29er wheel, providing the improved rollover that comes with increased wheel size.

ccs-62657-0-07195500-1486494090.jpg
ccs-62657-0-05625500-1486494108.jpg

On the 6Fattie, this supposidly translates into monster truck capabilities while maintaining agile handling. With this bike, we’ll be looking for the gnarliest line on the trail, all in the name of fun.

Stumpjumper FSR Expert Carbon 6Fattie specifciations

• FrameFull Carbon Front Triangle, Full CaFACT 9m, carbon front chassis, M5 alloy rear end, Trail Geometry, SWAT™ Door integration, PF30 BB, fully enclosed internal cable routing, ManFu link, 12x148mm dropouts, sealed cartridge bearing pivots, replaceable derailleur hanger, 135mm of travel
  • ForkRockShox Pike RC 29/27.5+, Solo Air, compression and rebound adjust, tapered steerer, 15x110mm Maxle Stealth thru-axle, 51mm offset, 150mm travel
  • Rear ShockRockShox Monarch RT3, Rx Trail Tune, AUTOSAG, rebound and 3-position compression adjust, 197x48mm
  • CranksetRaceFace Aeffect, 6000-series alloy, 24mm spindle, 52mm chainline, 28T
  • Bottom BracketShimano BB-MT800 Pressfit
  • Front DerailleurN/A
  • Rear DerailleurSRAM X1 Type 2.1, 11-speed
  • ShifterSRAM GX, 11-speed, trigger
  • Front BrakeSRAM Guide R, hydraulic disc, organic pads, Guide S4 4-piston caliper, 200/180mm rotor
  • Rear BrakeSRAM Guide R, hydraulic disc, organic pads, Guide S4 4-piston caliper, 180/160mm rotor
  • CassetteSRAM XG-1150, 11-speed, 10-42t
  • ChainSRAM PC-1110, 11-speed w/PowerLink
  • PedalsN/A
  • RimsRoval Traverse 650, hookless alloy, 29mm inner width, 24/28h, tubeless ready
  • SpokesDT Swiss Revolution
  • Front HubRoval Traverse, sealed cartridge bearings, 15mm thru-axle, 110mm spacing, 24h
  • Rear HubRoval Traverse, DT Swiss internals, sealed cartridge bearings, SRAM XD driver body, 12mm thru-axle, 148mm spacing, 28h
  • TiresPurgatory, GRID casing, 650bx3.0″, 60TPI, Aramid folding bead, 2Bliss Ready
  • HandlebarsSpecialized Trail, 7050 alloy, 8-degree backsweep, 6-degree upsweep, 25mm rise, 750mm width, 31.8mm
  • GripsSpecialized Sip Grip, half-waffle, S/M: regular thickness, L/XL: XL thickness
  • StemSpecialized Trail, 3D forged alloy, 4-bolt, 6-degree rise
  • SeatpostCommand Post IRcc, 12 position micro-height adjustable, alien head design, bottom mount cable routing, remote SRL lever, 30.9mm, S: 100mm, M/L/XL: 125mm travel
  • SaddleBody Geometry Henge Comp, hollow Cr-Mo rails, 143mm

ccs-2-0-74863800-1486700357.jpg

Find out more:

To learn more about the Stumpjumper FSR Expert Carbon 6Fattie and other Specialized bikes, visit the Specialized website here.

You can also follow the latest news from Specialized on the following channels:

Facebook – Specialized Bicycles South Africa
Twitter – @SpecializedZA
Instagram – @SpecializedZA

Related posts

Comments

Wil6

Feb 10, 2017, 5:37 AM

This bike makes no sense at all.

stefmeister

Feb 10, 2017, 6:03 AM

What part?

Plus sized tires or the spec?

Wil6

Feb 10, 2017, 6:07 AM

What part?

Plus sized tires or the spec?

Yep, plus sized tires on a long travel bike

Matt

Feb 10, 2017, 6:37 AM

I can tell you that from a first ride on it the smile on my face (and few PRs smashed) were all that mattered. It's a whole lot of fun!

That said it is early days and over the course of the long term test we'll get a very good idea of whether it makes sense or not. Or at least for whom it might make sense...

We're excited to test out the feel and practicality of the 27.5+ vs a 29er boost wheel set on the same platform. Although this does come standard with the Fatties, it can accomodate a 29" boost wheelset.

Pipsqueak

Feb 10, 2017, 7:01 AM

Ride one.

Wil6

Feb 10, 2017, 7:05 AM

Ride one.

Would love to

Ratty

Feb 10, 2017, 7:17 AM

The grip you get with the fattie tyres is amazing giving you lots more confidence on the technical trails.

Flippa

Feb 10, 2017, 8:37 AM

I don't understand why, on a "plus" bike, Spez have specced those measly, narrow, 29mm width rims to pair with the 3.0" tyre? If the Spez Fuse 6Fattie can get WTB Scrapers, why shouldn't this?

Odinson

Feb 10, 2017, 8:50 AM

Would love to

So you haven't ridden one, but feel qualified to give your opinion that 'the bike makes no sense'?

Wil6

Feb 10, 2017, 9:27 AM

So you haven't ridden one, but feel qualified to give your opinion that 'the bike makes no sense'?

Ag klim van jou perdjie af. Merely stated it makes no sense to me. Please explain to me why a long travel bike needs this type of tires? Will we be seeing it at the Downhill worlds soon if its that great?
Odinson

Feb 10, 2017, 9:34 AM

Ag klim van jou perdjie af. Merely stated it makes no sense to me. Please explain to me why a long travel bike needs this type of tires? Will we be seeing it at the Downhill worlds soon if its that great?

You probably wear a 38" pants and wonder why anyone else needs a any other size.

Wil6

Feb 10, 2017, 9:37 AM

You probably wear a 38" pants and wonder why anyone else needs a any other size.

:clap: , relax dude. Sorry if I offended you with questioning something I don't understand. It's Friday, kalmeer bietjie :thumbup:

Odinson

Feb 10, 2017, 9:38 AM

:clap: , relax dude. Sorry if I offended you with questioning something I don't understand. It's Friday, kalmeer bietjie :thumbup:

I'm chilled, dude.

Just ruffling some feathers because it's Friday. :thumbup:

Meezo

Feb 10, 2017, 9:42 AM

what does a set of fattie tyres cost?

Flippa

Feb 10, 2017, 9:44 AM

what does a set of fattie tyres cost?

About R1200 a pop.

Duane_Bosch

Feb 10, 2017, 9:52 AM

I've ridden one. And I didn't think much of it at all. The roll and bounce in the tire isn't worth the extra grip IMO.

Having said that I see a lot of them on the trails and the guys that have them rave about them. Maybe my tire pressures were off.

Meezo

Feb 10, 2017, 9:55 AM

I've ridden one. And I didn't think much of it at all. The roll and bounce in the tire isn't worth the extra grip IMO.

Having said that I see a lot of them on the trails and the guys that have them rave about them. Maybe my tire pressures were off.

or you've just gone full roadie

nonky

Feb 10, 2017, 10:10 AM

Bike is a lot of fun - I rode one at Modders on a spez tester day.

However, you're completely over-biked at Modders with this machine and better served by a regular 29er.

This bike is best for (IMHO):

i.the proper gnarly stuff or

ii.for a beginner  or

iii.very sandy / beach riding

Wil6

Feb 10, 2017, 10:11 AM

Bike is a lot of fun - I rode one at Modders on a spez tester day.

However, you're completely over-biked at Modders with this machine and better served by a regular 29er.

This bike is best for (IMHO):

i.the proper gnarly stuff or

ii.for a beginner  or

iii.very sandy / beach riding

You will need all that travel for the rough sand

nonky

Feb 10, 2017, 10:21 AM

You will need all that travel for the rough sand

Or something like Kalahari Challenge, which is rocky AND sandy.

Look, you don't REALLY need carbon or 1x11 or full sus or a sus fork or gears or 29er wheels for that matter.  Many nutjobs are perfectly happy on single-speed, rigid, steel bikes but the "extras" are nice to have, aren't they?

Headshot

Feb 10, 2017, 10:27 AM

I suspect bike set up ie tyre pressure is very important but i suspect these tyres wont work very well in certain situations at all  - for instance sloppy slippery stuff. They would possibly have more in common with a skimmer board on the beach than a bike tyre then. In contrast, a 2.35 - 2.5 "normal" tyre works pretty well in all situations. A fad and a gimmick more or less IMO. 

Flippa

Feb 10, 2017, 10:29 AM

Look, I'm not convinced about the dual sus plus thing. I ride a Krampus (29+ for those who don't know) and chased my brother, riding a Spez Fuse 6Fattie, through all of the blue sections at Thaba Trails, and I feel I could do with 120mm travel fork instead of the rigid I'm running now.

In two years riding this bike, I've never felt like I needed boing at the rear too.

Flippa

Feb 10, 2017, 10:36 AM

I suspect bike set up ie tyre pressure is very important but i suspect these tyres wont work very well in certain situations at all  - for instance sloppy slippery stuff. They would possibly have more in common with a skimmer board on the beach than a bike tyre then. In contrast, a 2.35 - 2.5 "normal" tyre works pretty well in all situations. A fad and a gimmick more or less IMO. 

Tyre pressure is critical on plus tyres, I swear I can feel the difference between 0.6 bar and 0.8bar. Grip is more about tyre choice, the Surly Knards are impossible in mud, but the newer plus tyres, Nobby Nic plus, Rekon+, Ikon+, Ranger, Purgatory, etc all have acceptable performance in the mud and wet.

Oh, and 5 years in the market is hardly a fad IMO

mtb impi

Feb 10, 2017, 11:27 AM

My W2W buddy on his Stumpy + had an effortless ride, with most of the time a grin on his face. He was a complete newby to cycling, let alone mtb'ing. This bike boosts confidence BIG time, and extremely forgiving, letting you do silly things (as a newby) leaving you with a feeling of being an old-timer.

Add a comment

You must log in to comment