Tech

First ride: Mercer Bikes – Hungry Monkey

· By Nick · 35 comments

Despite all the high tech wizardry on display at the 2014 Africa Cycle Fair, it was a hand built steel hardtail that got us most excited. On the relatively flat test track at the 2014 Africa Cycle Fair, the bike was a tease begging to ridden hard. After getting off the Hungry Monkey, I couldn’t stop dreaming about how good it would be to point down the most tricky of trails. Watch Iwan Kemp’s first ride review of the Hungry Monkey for more details on the bike.

The production frame will feature routing for a dropper post as well as mounts for a second bottle cage.

Mercer Bikes Hungry MonkeySide profile HMII.jpg

Mercer Bikes Hungry MonkeyFront side HMII.jpg
Mercer Bikes Hungry MonkeyBack side HMII.jpg

Mercer Bikes Hungry MonkeyDropout detail HMII.jpg

Mercer Bikes Hungry MonkeyHT detail 3qtr rear HMII.jpg
Mercer Bikes Hungry MonkeyHead badge detail HMII.jpg

Mercer Bikes Hungry Monkey3 qtr front view HMII.jpg

Mercer Bikes Hungry MonkeyRear 3qtr oblique HMII.jpg

Comments

Wil6

Nov 4, 2014, 5:09 AM

Damn this is nice!!

Flowta

Nov 4, 2014, 6:03 AM

VERY NICE!!!

Dan Dob

Nov 4, 2014, 6:25 AM

Another bike on the wishlist. Damnit Mercer!

nigelhicks

Nov 4, 2014, 6:31 AM

Yeah go Dave ... winner of a bike ... that and his Corratac-style Tour Du Afrique cyclocross bike are amazing!

DirtyDan

Nov 4, 2014, 6:37 AM

That rear triangle though! So short!

rock

Nov 4, 2014, 7:46 AM

from a guy riding a steel 650b'er with sliding drop outs, that looks about right :)

Brian Fantana

Nov 4, 2014, 8:15 AM

Which is exactly what you want and need in a long travel hardtail.  Modern long travel hardtails are all about long top tubes, low BB's, short chainstays and slack head angles.

arendoog

Nov 4, 2014, 8:20 AM

Is this local ?

Matt

Nov 4, 2014, 8:27 AM

Is this local ?

Very much so - Dave is Cape Town based: http://mercerbikes.co.za/

braailegend

Nov 4, 2014, 9:06 AM

what you want in a more gravity orientated bike, I only have hardtails and you cant fir you're fingers between the seat tube and tire. Gives loads of control of the back wheel in the air, front end lifts easier and it manuals like a dream.

arendoog

Nov 4, 2014, 9:13 AM

LIKE HIS WORK .!

Hairy

Nov 4, 2014, 1:09 PM

Hello Hungry Monkey!

johanpre44

Nov 4, 2014, 3:07 PM

I've got a feeling my next bike will be handmade...

Captain Fastbastard Mayhem

Nov 4, 2014, 4:29 PM

LOL!

One word, Iwan. SWIIIIIPE!

Iwan Kemp

Nov 4, 2014, 4:42 PM

LOL!

One word, Iwan. SWIIIIIPE!

"Listen to Mayhem" - Banna, 8th May 2012

Iwan Kemp

Nov 5, 2014, 2:33 PM

The only question here is whether to go for a custom "forward geometry" type of design, something radical like a BTR Ranger or just be done with it and get a "production" Hungry Monkey.

It's the only bike I went back to at the fair and the only one I jumped on and immediately regretted riding around a stupid flat course and not bombing around Jonkers. 

(Deon)

Nov 5, 2014, 2:39 PM

The only question here is whether to go for a custom "forward geometry" type of design, something radical like a BTR Ranger or just be done with it and get a "production" Hungry Monkey.

It's the only bike I went back to at the fair and the only one I jumped on and immediately regretted riding around a stupid flat course and not bombing around Jonkers. 

Well then you have no choice but to get the one available today!

..or start a thread and call it "I can't wait!" after ordering the custom.

Captain Fastbastard Mayhem

Nov 5, 2014, 3:37 PM

What are you still doing here!?

MoreTrails

Nov 6, 2014, 3:30 PM

Dave Mercer, you wizard!

Iwan Kemp

Nov 7, 2014, 10:30 AM

What are you still doing here!?

http://favim.com/orig/201103/26/Favim.com-8742.jpg

Barry Stuart

Nov 8, 2014, 8:41 AM

So any news on when they plan to put the bike into production or is it going to remain on order? I'm seriously thinking of flogging ALL my bikes and just settling for a burly, simple, 140mm-160mm hardtail that I can use for everything. Currently looking at the Cotic BFE or Soul but that Monkey looks damn nice.

Iwan Kemp

Nov 8, 2014, 8:44 AM

Let me confirm for you on Monday, but as far as I know there will be "stock" in the next 4-6 weeks. Quantities will be limited for now so best get your order in.

It'll be worth it!

Barry Stuart

Nov 8, 2014, 9:02 AM

Let me confirm for you on Monday, but as far as I know there will be "stock" in the next 4-6 weeks. Quantities will be limited for now so best get your order in.

It'll be worth it!

Thanks Iwan. Any hints at price yet?

Iwan Kemp

Nov 10, 2014, 7:46 AM

Thanks Iwan. Any hints at price yet?

R10,500

Add a comment

You must log in to comment