Tech

Garmin Edge 1000

· By Press Office · 52 comments

Garmin Southern Africa (Pty) Ltd, announced the anticipated Edge 1000, a top of the range cycling computer made for cyclists who are looking for improved competitive, connective and navigational features.

ccs-62657-0-52088400-1411373037.jpg

Whether cyclists are looking for a cycling computer to push them for a personal best or display where they rank against the pros, Edge 1000 will help them reach their goals. With additional features like advanced segment capabilities, cyclists have the ability to create alerts for start and finish points, race themselves or a segment leader and plan rides. This allows cyclists to plan rides that include multiple segments directly on the device Edge 1000. Cyclists can also instantly post routes and rides on social media, enjoy the benefits of live tracking and upload or download data from Garmin Connect.

“The Edge 1000 combines the essential features cyclists have come to love from the current Edge range, but adds exciting new features like a large 3” high-resolution colour touch screen display, built in power training and challenging segment features that will take cyclists training to the next level,” said Marc Bainbridge, Garmin Southern Africa Fitness Product Manager.

Stay connected with the Edge 1000: By using the incoming calls and text message alerts1 feature, cyclists can keep up-to-date with messages and calls as they are displayed on the Edge 1000. With the LiveTrack feature, friends and family can follow race and training activities in real time. This will give families reassurance that their cyclists are safe, and provide trainers with real live data to improve cyclist’s performance. More than that, cyclists can instantly share rides or routes on social media and Garmin Connect and efficiently download software updates with advanced Bluetooth and Wi-Fi capabilities.

Cyclists are always looking for new ways to push themselves. Now cyclists can compete and challenge themselves on Garmin Connect with the new segment and leader board feature. This will alert cyclists for upcoming segments like starts and finish points and through the Virtual Partner feature their ride will automatically synch with previous best or the overall segment leader.

Own the Trail and Navigate the Roads: The Edge 1000 comes preloaded with TOPO PRO mapping and other points of interest like parks and trails, to help cyclists find their way while riding. The Edge 1000 will work just like the GPS inside a car would, except have additional bike-specific features to guide cyclists back to start or calculate the most direct route to a destination whilst providing turn-by-turn directions.

Cyclists can enjoy planning rides easily with round-trip routing capabilities which will allow cyclists to enter how far they want to ride. The Edge 1000 will calculate up to three cycling-friendly routes for them and allow them to review the elevation profiles before making a selection. With comprehensive route planning and route elevation profiles available on the Edge 1000 and on Garmin Connect cyclists will be prepared for the toughest climbs.

Exceptional Display: Similar to the Edge 510 and 810, the Edge 1000’s display is fully customisable. Cyclists can scroll through performance monitoring options, advanced workouts or training options and a variety of other activity profiles. The display on Edge 1000 allows cyclists to transition easily between routing preferences based on road or MTB ride. The large 3” high-resolution touch screen colour display is also optimal for riders who prefer wearing full gloves, riding on wet days2 and those riding at night.

Edge 1000 is compatible with ANT+ sensors for heart rate monitor and the new speed and cadence sensor. A Cadence sensor helps cyclists train to their optimal performance by tracking their pedalling strokes per minute. This is easy-to-install and can be self-calibrated. The Speed Sensor is used to track speed and distance when GPS is not available and is excellent for indoor training. The Edge 1000 is also compatible with the Garmin Vector, the unique ANT+ pedal-based power meter that measures total power, left and right balance as well as cadence. The Edge 1000 comes preloaded with power-based workouts to calculate a cyclist’s functional threshold power to give cyclists valuable insight into their power training zones. Edge 1000 is also Garmin’s first cycling computer that is compatible with Shimano Di2 electronic shifting systems4 so cyclists can view gear data on the Edge’s display.

Edge 1000 Bundle is available for purchase for a suggested retail price R9999.00 and includes a HRM3 and the new speed and cadence sensors.

Related posts

Comments

Joeboy69

Sep 21, 2014, 6:30 PM

Is it available here yet?

RMmtb8r

Sep 22, 2014, 7:12 AM

It is out this week

Super Sywurm

Sep 22, 2014, 7:15 AM

I would have bought it, if my name was Bill Gates!

RMmtb8r

Sep 22, 2014, 8:00 AM

Hi Bill

Big difference in price between 810 and 1000, not sure if it is worth it

Joeboy69

Sep 22, 2014, 8:22 AM

What's the RRP for the 1000?

Nick

Sep 22, 2014, 8:23 AM

Morning Hubbers

I've published the press release from Garmin Southern Africa announcing the Edge 1000. Click here to view the article.

Unfortunately, in the process of linking this earlier forum topic to the comments of the article, I accidentally overwrote RMmtb8r's original post. Please accept my apologies for this RMmtb8r. Feel free to edit the original post in your own words again, RMmtb8r.

Bobbo_SA

Sep 22, 2014, 8:25 AM

Looks super saxxy though, Retail @ $599, ouch

RMmtb8r

Sep 22, 2014, 9:06 AM

no worries, R9999 on the garmin site

Super Sywurm

Sep 22, 2014, 9:09 AM

:eek:

RMmtb8r

Sep 22, 2014, 9:12 AM

yip, think you need to be jacob to buy one. Use it to find his firepool.

Zariuss

Sep 22, 2014, 10:30 AM

I just bought the 810!!!

Is the R3k diff worth it?

Shebeen

Sep 22, 2014, 10:38 AM

from garmin site

edge 1000 - R9999

edge 810 - R7399

edge 510 - R5299

edge 200 - R1899

so you basically take the edge number and multiply it by 10?

(ok i had to ignore the 500 and 800 to make this work, but hey)

Tankman

Sep 22, 2014, 10:55 AM

Hi Bill

Big difference in price between 810 and 1000, not sure if it is worth it

If you are going to be touring through other countries and dont have a clue where to ride ... this it the unit you want!

crashtestdummy

Sep 22, 2014, 11:12 AM

Been lucky enough to have been testing a 1000 for about a month now, very cool bit of kit but not something I'd take out on a MTB ride. The screen is significantly better than the 810 (sensitivity and colour) the wifi is very nice to have too. My only problem so far is that I can't set up different bike profiles - hopefully something that will be sorted out with some software upgrade. No I don't work for them !

Velouria

Sep 22, 2014, 11:40 AM

Been lucky enough to have been testing a 1000 for about a month now, very cool bit of kit but not something I'd take out on a MTB ride. The screen is significantly better than the 810 (sensitivity and colour) the wifi is very nice to have too. My only problem so far is that I can't set up different bike profiles - hopefully something that will be sorted out with some software upgrade. No I don't work for them !

Just like CTD, I also have one - and it truly is amazing. I went from an Edge 500, to the 810, which was quite amazing, and now the Edge 1000. The difference is just as pronounced.

The touch screen is amazing - works in the rain and with gloves on. The access to info is impressive, and setup is so much easier. A nice touch is getting notifications from your phone on the device. As usual, the actual GPS stuff is top notch, and the new pickupless speed and cadence sensors are quite nice, and make transfer between bikes quite simple.

Concerning the bike profiles, this is what Garmin has to say:

• Added activity profile totals, which includes total distance, time, calories, and number of rides. If you miss the bike profile odometer feature, you can track totals by creating activity profiles for each bike.
crashtestdummy

Sep 22, 2014, 11:46 AM

Just like CTD, I also have one - and it truly is amazing. I went from an Edge 500, to the 810, which was quite amazing, and now the Edge 1000. The difference is just as pronounced.

The touch screen is amazing - works in the rain and with gloves on. The access to info is impressive, and setup is so much easier. A nice touch is getting notifications from your phone on the device. As usual, the actual GPS stuff is top notch, and the new pickupless speed and cadence sensors are quite nice, and make transfer between bikes quite simple.

Concerning the bike profiles, this is what Garmin has to say:

• Added activity profile totals, which includes total distance, time, calories, and number of rides. If you miss the bike profile odometer feature, you can track totals by creating activity profiles for each bike.

That notification link to your phone is VERY handy !

karlvand

Sep 22, 2014, 12:16 PM

Nearly R3,000 to see who's texting me while I ride, its a cool function but not worth the extra cash IMHO. Think i'll stick to my 810.

RMmtb8r

Sep 22, 2014, 12:20 PM

I am trying to decde between die 810 and 1000. It is not only the notofication . I only ride mtb. 

I think the hole concept of the 1000 is just that more ncoer than the 810, but 3k is still a lot of money

Brandon P

Sep 22, 2014, 12:28 PM

Am assuming SA import duties nail us on Garmins.

UK prices on the Edge1000 Full Performance Bundle = R6800 or R8082 if you pay UK tax.

LRW

Sep 22, 2014, 12:32 PM

Im considering getting a edge 1000 from overseas......there are a couple of UK cycle shops that will ship a garmin to SA (checked with them already)...and bought from them before.....works out to about 6.5k (shipping is free)...then obviously duties to be paid

karlvand

Sep 22, 2014, 12:32 PM

I am trying to decde between die 810 and 1000. It is not only the notofication . I only ride mtb. 

I think the hole concept of the 1000 is just that more ncoer than the 810, but 3k is still a lot of money

I mainly ride MTB and you will very seldomly find me on the road and I can definitely reccomend the 810. Before I was using the old edge 705 and that was also great but the 810 is an absolute pleasure to use.

I use free open source maps and they work perfectly, read http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2013/05/download-garmin-705800810.html 

The edge 1000 does look great but you just have to sum up whether those few added extras are worth the cash.

RMmtb8r

Sep 22, 2014, 12:48 PM

Maar dit is so mooi

WrightJnr

Sep 22, 2014, 12:53 PM

You would think that Garmin could at least add the ability to add laps to a ride in GarminConnect. The devices are ok but the data analysis is pathetic. IMO of course.

ibruegge

Sep 22, 2014, 12:54 PM

More than my bike :-) 

Add a comment

You must log in to comment