Tech

Garmin introduces new fēnix 3 Sapphire multisport watch featuring wrist heart rate

· By Press Office · 28 comments

Garmin International today announced an update to the fēnix 3 multisport watches that includes Garmin Elevate wrist-based heart rate technology, additional activity profiles and new, stylish watch bands. The three new sapphire-lens options include a premium version featuring a titanium bezel and band, a version with easily interchangeable leather and nylon straps, and a version touting Garmin Elevate wrist-based heart rate. All watches are also getting a software update with new activity profiles for golf, stand up paddleboarding and rowing, as well as the latest advanced running dynamics and physiological measurements. This free update will be available to all current fēnix 3 owners, so all fēnix 3 users can download the new profiles.

“As one of our most popular watches, we’re thrilled to offer new fēnix 3 devices to consumers,” said Dan Bartel, Garmin vice president of worldwide sales. “We’re excited to bring Garmin Elevate technology to the fēnix line, and the updated leather and titanium versions will appeal to users no matter if they’re hitting the trails, the boardroom, and now even the golf course.”

ccs-62657-0-87856500-1451997348.jpg

Boasting a full multisport and navigational toolset, fēnix 3 is also stylish enough to go from the trail to the office. The new genuine leather and nylon bands are easily interchangeable with no additional tools required, making switching back and forth a breeze. The premium titanium bezel and band looks sharp while also reducing weight and improving durability.

Now featuring Garmin Elevate wrist-based heart rate technology, fēnix 3 HR users now have the freedom to measure heart rate 24/7 at the wrist. Fēnix 3 HR users can get credit for their workouts and extra effort with the Intensity Minutes. By tracking daily Intensity Minutes, users can monitor their progress against weekly aerobic activity goals recommended by leading health organizations like the American Heart Association, World Health Organization, and the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Depending on settings, fēnix 3 HR can get up to 40 hours of battery life in UltraTrac mode, 16 hours in GPS training mode, 3 weeks in watch mode and 2 weeks in smartwatch mode.

Building off the previous version of advanced running dynamics like cadence, vertical oscillation and ground contact time; fēnix 3 users will be able to utilize more data and physiological measurements1. The new metrics include:

• Stride Length: Measures the length of a runner’s stride in real time.
  • Ground Contact Time Balance: Measures a runner’s ground contact symmetry, which some runners have found to correlate with injuries or strength imbalances.
  • Vertical Ratio: The cost-benefit ratio of vertical oscillation to stride length, serving as one indicator of a runner’s efficiency.
  • Lactate Threshold: Estimates the level of effort at which fatigue rapidly increases in terms of a runner’s heart rate and pace.
  • Stress Score: Measures heart rate variability to make an assessment of a user’s overall level of stress.
  • Performance Condition: Provides a real-time fitness-level measurement relative to a runner’s average baseline, which indicates performance readiness for the day’s workout or race.

All current fēnix 3 owners will have access to a software update that will include the updated advanced running dynamics, as well as new activity profiles for golf, SUP and rowing. With the recently updated Garmin Connect mobile app, users can download more than 40,000 worldwide golf courses for precise course data and use their watch as a digital scorecard. With the new SUP/Rowing mode, users can measure their paddle stroke count, stroke rate and distance per stroke to gauge their efficiency. The fēnix 3 software update will come preloaded on new units and is available for current users to download now.

The new fēnix 3 models will still be compatible with the Connect IQ platform for endless customization options. Through the Connect IQ store in the Garmin Connect mobile app, users can download any of the free apps, widgets, watch faces or data fields so their fēnix 3 can suit their individual needs.

The new fēnix 3 Sapphire watches will be available in Q1 2016. The fēnix 3 HR will have a suggested retail price of $599.99, the titanium fēnix 3 Sapphire will have a suggested retail price for $799.99, and the fēnix 3 Sapphire with leather and nylon bands will have a suggested retail price of $599.99.

Fēnix 3 is the latest solution from Garmin’s expanding outdoor segment, which focuses on developing technologies and innovations to enhance users’ outdoor experiences. Whether hiking, hunting, geocaching, golfing, dog training, or capturing it all on VIRB action cameras, Garmin outdoor devices are becoming essential tools for outdoor enthusiasts of all levels.

Related posts

Comments

shaper

Jan 4, 2016, 6:18 PM

Excellent, been waiting for this!

More here http://the5krunner.com/2016/01/03/new-fenix-3-goes-optical-with-ohrm-garminuk-garmin-ces2016/

WrightJnr

Jan 4, 2016, 6:51 PM

$600 USD and that's before the ANC have added their fat !!! Going to be over R12k. And that not even for the Titanium version. #verysadface

AllAboutRides

Jan 4, 2016, 8:24 PM

Now the next question will be..... Will the current Fenix 3 support these extra features in future update, for example the golf app????

Runbikeswim

Jan 5, 2016, 5:03 AM

Already does support them.... See the beta. But at least current fenix will drop in price

niterider

Jan 6, 2016, 4:01 PM

The new software came out yesterday! So many awesome improvements.

Wayne Potgieter

Jan 6, 2016, 8:18 PM

The new software came out yesterday! So many awesome improvements.

V6.50?

SwissVan

Jan 6, 2016, 8:32 PM

$600 USD and that's before the ANC have added their fat !!! Going to be over R12k. And that not even for the Titanium version. #verysadface

And for that price it had better provide consistent and accurate HR data

While its a brilliant idea and i hope i'm wrong (being sceptic and all ^_^ ), its no good if the thing does not work properly all the time... or if you train in cold climates wearing the watch over your long sleeve / jacket

niterider

Jan 7, 2016, 1:01 AM

V6.50?

I believe so. Although I see 6.60 has dropped today, so more improvements :)

I'll be trying out the new SUP stroke rate measurement this afternoon.

SeaBee

Jan 8, 2016, 8:55 AM

Swiss, you'll have more exposure to that, but when I run in the rain I wear my watch under my jacket. If I want to see something, I lift up the sleeve, take a quick peek.

What confuses me more is how you'll get HR readings on the bike, since it's supposed to be a multisport watch. Or do they seriously expect you to keep the thing on your arm whilst riding?

That all said, I'm not in the market for one of these, just opinionating. Not that I'd mind to win one or something! 

Stretch

Jan 8, 2016, 8:57 AM

I would love this but I'm not gonna pay 10k

shaper

Jan 8, 2016, 9:16 AM

Swiss, you'll have more exposure to that, but when I run in the rain I wear my watch under my jacket. If I want to see something, I lift up the sleeve, take a quick peek.

What confuses me more is how you'll get HR readings on the bike, since it's supposed to be a multisport watch. Or do they seriously expect you to keep the thing on your arm whilst riding?

That all said, I'm not in the market for one of these, just opinionating. Not that I'd mind to win one or something! 

Think the Fenix 3 is more geared for multisport and daily tracking where you will wear on your wrist, which is what most triathletes do... I guess if you do use it for cycling and want it mounted on your bars then am sure there is an option for pairing to a chest HRM.

Captain Fastbastard Mayhem

Jan 8, 2016, 9:18 AM

Think the Fenix 3 is more geared for multisport and daily tracking where you will wear on your wrist, which is what most triathletes do... I guess if you do use it for cycling and want it mounted on your bars then am sure there is an option for pairing to a chest HRM.

^^ this. If you must use it on the bars, chest strap it is. 

dracs

Jan 8, 2016, 9:26 AM

Definitely can pair to chest strap.  Your other option will be to use your regular cycling head unit on the cycle leg.  The wrist based HRM can broadcast HR as a regular ANT sensor...  (well at least I assume it will since my forerunner 235 can do that and its the same tech)

nonky

Jan 12, 2016, 7:12 AM

Fairly close to the perfect all-in-1 watch...would love to see what the heck they come up with to improve it further.

These rapid improvements must be due to the threat from the iWatch, especially as a 24/7 watch/monitor?

Runbikeswim

Jan 12, 2016, 11:39 AM

Fenix 3 is a amazing Cycling watch.... Its got so much most of the dedicated ones dont

SwissVan

Jan 13, 2016, 7:38 AM

I try not run in the rain just as a matter of principal...altho my last run the last 20 minutes was in severe rain... funny how the weather forecast can be so accurate and i still ignored it... :blush:

its mostly the cold that makes me wear my watch "on top" and the "fear" that it might loose signal while under my jacket sleeve....

anyway...

All the multi sport watches have this dilemma of what to do with the thing while riding your bike, what I started doing since i got my V800 is to wear it on my wrist but rotate it to a different position on my wrist (+/- 90 degs to the right if you wear it on your left hand) so that i can see it without having to take my hands off the bars, you then only have to glance at it. If you are riding a TT bike its even easier as your hands are more or less in front of you already.

It helps if you have multiple screen options, then you can customize the screens to display one or 2 functions only thus increasing the "font size" i.e. making it easier to see when its not directly in your face.

The main issue imo with the wrist heart rate idea, is that it must be reliable...i.e. work every time and provide accurate readings...

Baaisikilist

Jan 13, 2016, 7:49 AM

DC Rainmaker reviewed the FR 235 with Garmin's built in optical HRM.

An interesting read. He shows comparative data between the optical and chest monitors.

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2015/11/garmin-fr230-fr235-review.html

SwissVan

Jan 13, 2016, 8:39 AM

An interesting read. He shows comparative data between the optical and chest monitors.

Thanks

They (the optical sensors) do seem to have some quirks.

I did not realise polar had one as well...hopefully they can iron out the quirks and we can chuck the straps away one day... i bet many ladies would be glad about that

post-182-0-19256500-1452674333_thumb.png

dracs

Jan 13, 2016, 9:50 AM

As I have decided to focus on running this year, I bought the 235 for myself for Xmas and am loving it.  It is now my day-to-day watch and its interesting to monitor resting HR vs training load etc, all-day HR and esp sleep heart rate, sleep quality etc.

The main quirk referred to of wrist based HRM's is the overlap with cadence (mentioned in the DC rainmaker review).  Until a week ago I didn't experience this issue at all - but at the start of a treadmill run the other day I was initially very confused (and a little concerned) to see my HR up at about 175, until I realised this was also my cadence.  Slowed up a bit then got back to normal stride and then HR corrected itself from then on. 

Other than that I have had no issues with the optical HRM - mostly running but did also try on one ride just to compare.   I used a chest strap linked to my garmin 510 and the 235 with the optical HRM.  The 2 tracked each other identically with the exception of a downhill stretch where my chest strap (presumably due to drying out a bit), suddenly shot up to over 220 (my max is 184). 

All in all then, for my needs the wrist based is the way to go - nice not having to hassle with straps, and also in the Dec/Jan heat opened up the option of a quick shirtless run without getting that stupid HR strap tan!

Barry Stuart

Jan 13, 2016, 10:21 AM

Thanks

They (the optical sensors) do seem to have some quirks.

I did not realise polar had one as well...hopefully they can iron out the quirks and we can chuck the straps away one day... i bet many ladies would be glad about that

attachicon.gifCapture2.PNG

Yeah, I've been using the TomTom Spark recently and the wrist HR is pretty accurate EXCEPT when doing a sprint. I looked down at my wrist and I was apparently seconds from a heart attach at 200+BPM. Looking online it's a common problem with a few wrist based HRMs that get confused at a high cadence.

The Fenix 3 is a beautiful watch but it's a pretty chunky beast too. Interesting to note that even Ray Maker prefers his FR230/235 over the Fenix as an everyday watch.

Jan 13, 2016, 10:22 AM

Yeah, I've been using the TomTom Spark recently and the wrist HR is pretty accurate EXCEPT when doing a sprint. I looked down at my wrist and I was apparently seconds from a heart attach at 200+BPM. Looking online it's a common problem with a few wrist based HRMs that get confused at a high cadence.

The Fenix 3 is a beautiful watch but it's a pretty chunky beast too. Interesting to note that even Ray Maker prefers his FR230/235 over the Fenix as an everyday watch.

yeah, but he has puny wrists... Fenix 3 fits me perfectly

Baaisikilist

Jan 13, 2016, 10:25 AM

So manly...

Barry Stuart

Jan 13, 2016, 10:26 AM

But heavy! Especially when you're coming from a lightweight FR or TomTom. That said, it's bound to feel like a clock weight on my T Rex arms and bigger built guys won't notice it as much I'm sure.

Jan 13, 2016, 11:48 AM

So manly...

LOL. Dude, I'm sure you're in the same boat as me. Actually, no. Wait. Your wrists are probably bigger than mine, with your weight training history.

Add a comment

You must log in to comment