Tech

Inside Cape Town’s cSixx Components

Words by Bike Hub, Images courtesy of cSixx

· By Bike Hub Features · 11 comments

Cape Town based component manufacturer, cSixx, has become well regarded locally and abroad for their range of performance focussed aluminium and carbon bike parts. What started with a gravity focussed carbon chain guide has expanded into an array carbon and aluminium components for mountain bike, road and gravel riders.

Founder Mark Hopkins is no stranger to innovation in the mountain biking industry having established an impressive resume. Highlights include establishing renowned neck brace and protectives brand Leatt, with Dr. Chris Leatt, and later co-founding Pyga Industries with Patrick Morewood. 

CSixx_Factory_1454.jpg Behind the screens: Mark Hopkins is the man behind the cSixx. Photo: Gary Perkin 
CSixx_Factory_0044.jpg The cSixx office is layered with staff bikes and components in all stages of development. Photo: Gary Perkin 

The company roots trace back to Mark’s own riding experience where a dropped chain at World Champs in 2000 prompted him to design and produce a carbon chain guide under the brand name MHD. The cSixx brand would only come to life after Hopkins’ time at Leatt when as a rider he still struggled to find a good chain guide in the market.

With a life long interest in designing and making with carbon, Mark launched cSixx in 2008 with a range of chain guides for gravity and cross country riding (just as the one-by revolution began). Fast forward to 2016, with 100% focus on cSixx, Mark and his team set about expanding the range to include wheels, bars, stems, and now boast over two hundred chainring options.

A critical element for Mark and cSixx is their local manufacturing capability. This allows for complete control of the end-to-end process, ensuring every item meets their requirements and quality standards.

Thanks to a fleet of CNC milling machines alongside a team of designers and engineers, cSixx now manufactures all of their aluminium components in house. Everything from design, prototyping, production, anodising, laser etching and testing is done at their HQ in Cape Town. 

CSixx_Factory_0839.jpg
CSixx_Factory_0148.jpg
CSixx_Factory_1102.jpg
CSixx_Factory_0128.jpg

Above: CNC machines doing duty (1 & 2). 3D printers allow the cSixx team to preview designs and test (3). From a sketch to a finished product, cSixx does it all in house.  Photos: Gary Perkin

As for carbon, while a number of their carbon components are currently manufactured abroad, cSixx have begun setting up their in-house composites department. On our recent visit we spotted a handle bar or two fresh out of the mould. Watch this space.

CSixx_Factory_0470.jpg

CSixx_Factory_0391.jpg
CSixx_Factory_1766.jpg

Above: Having moved all aluminium production in-house, cSixx are doing the same with carbon: Design, production and testing, right here in Cape Town. Photos: Gary Perkin.

The team at cSixx love spending time on their bikes and their collective passion for riding is a key to their meticulous attention to detail in perfecting their products. It might sound like a bit of a cliche, but it’s a true case of components made “by riders for riders”.

CSixx_Factory_2456.jpgRiding bikes is all part of the process for the team at cSixx. Whether it’s the initial idea for a product or some real-world product testing, it typically starts and ends on a bike. Photos: Gary Perkin.

The end result

From a real-world problem to a custom solution, a great example and a more recent addition to the cSixx catalogue is “The Cage”. The demanding riding style of many the cSixx team team kept pushing standard SRAM/Shimano derailleur cages too far and led them to go about making a better version. Said to be a “Stiffer, Stronger and more Precise” bolt on replacement for your derailleur, the cSixx Cage offers better impact protection and more precise shifting. It’s CNC machined from 6082 aluminium and is available with cSixx’s custom sealed bearing pulley wheels. 
The cage-4.jpg

XTR cage new-9.jpg
QuickCap-10.jpg
IMG_9889.jpg
Jaco's bike-9.jpg
IMG_1575.jpg
Jaco's bike-13.jpg

More about cSixx
Head over to https://csixx.com for a look at their full range and follow @csixx_products and https://www.facebook.com/cSixxproducts to stay updated.

CSixx_Factory_1205.jpg

Tags:

Related posts

Comments

DuncanDoughnuts

Jan 24, 2022, 12:19 PM

Would love to know when the CSIXX stems will be dropping....💪

Steady Spin

Jan 24, 2022, 12:32 PM

Bought my first Csixx product in 2012 I think. Had nothing but excellent service from Mark right from the start. 

Definitely a local company I will always support.

Sid the Sloth

Jan 24, 2022, 12:44 PM

How would one order a 60T speed dish for SRAM Force dub cranks? Asking for a friend 

babse

Jan 24, 2022, 12:52 PM

3 minutes ago, Sid the Sloth said:

How would one order a 60T speed dish for SRAM Force dub cranks? Asking for a friend 

Dude, walk into their store/workshop/factory and chat to Alex. That oke is a legend and will make a plan for you.

I've only been using their products for a year or 2 now but their sales and after sale service is next level!

Jbr

Jan 24, 2022, 1:11 PM

27 minutes ago, Sid the Sloth said:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CYGJz-NOvK3/

Sid the Sloth

Jan 24, 2022, 1:33 PM

oof alright well I guess that friend must get in touch... Haha. 

Chadvdw67

Jan 25, 2022, 5:22 AM

17 hours ago, DuncanDoughnuts said:

Would love to know when the CSIXX stems will be dropping....💪

I heard they will be available end of March, I am also very keen to get one, hopefully they will have 31.8 clamp stems as well as 35

Shebeen

Jan 25, 2022, 8:23 AM

bunch of frames on the wall in the background....does that mean they have bikes coming too, or just inhouse paint job production line?

image.png.2df31462e8e7f353b6115360104d2200.png

Matt

Jan 25, 2022, 8:42 AM

14 minutes ago, Shebeen said:

bunch of frames on the wall in the background....does that mean they have bikes coming too, or just inhouse paint job production line?

Those are actually 3D printed prototypes. cSixx also do design consulting work for some international bike brands.

Meezo

Jan 25, 2022, 8:43 AM

18 minutes ago, Shebeen said:

Mark is(was i don't know) involved/partnership with the bike brand Sense bikes https://sensebike.com.br/

SCD

Jan 28, 2022, 2:41 AM

Trained for and rode Epic 2017 on cSixx carbon rims. Wheels build by Jaco of Black Sheep Bikes. My Epic partner is still riding them today, more than 20,000km in. Quality stuff!

Add a comment

You must log in to comment