Tech

Introducing the Varia Vision wearable in-sight display from Garmin

· By Press Office · 8 comments

Garmin International Inc. today announced the Varia Vision, an in-sight display that helps enhance cyclists’ road awareness by putting information in their line of sight. Varia Vision’s versatile mounting attaches to cyclists’ sunglasses and displays key data from a compatible device, including performance data, turn-by-turn directions, incoming smart notifications and more. When paired with the first-of-its-kind Varia rearview radar system Varia Vision warns users of traffic approaching from behind.

ccs-62657-0-45628000-1451998006.jpg

“We’re extremely excited to announce the next device in our line of innovative Varia cycling awareness products – the Varia Vision in-sight display,” said Dan Bartel, Garmin vice president of worldwide sales. “Cyclists can now easily view their data and receive alerts during a ride without needing to take their eyes off the road ahead.”

Sleek Design

Featuring eight hours of always-on battery life and a glove and wet-weather friendly touch panel to rotate between data displays, Varia Vision makes it easier than ever for cyclists to keep focus while riding. Its adaptable mounting allow it to attach on either arm of the glasses with a fully adjustable arm and eyepiece for optimum display positioning. Varia Vision features a durable, weatherproof design while weighing approximately only one ounce (29.7 grams) for maximum comfort, and its integrated ambient light sensor and color display ensure readability in all conditions.

Connected Features

Connect Varia Vision with a compatible Edge device for integrated, customizable data screens to easily view performance stats and turn-by-turn prompts, including distance to turn plus street name and directional arrows. Varia Vision also connects with Varia rearview radar for in-ride, in-sight visibility of vehicles approaching from behind.

Vision also features vibration alerts for performance, navigation, or cycling awareness prompts, as well as incoming smart notifications2 allowing riders to receive alerts for incoming calls, texts and more without taking their eyes off the road.

Varia Vision in-sight display will begin shipping in Q1 and is available for $399.99.

Related posts

Comments

Robrider

Jan 5, 2016, 12:55 PM

I like the idea of this, but I hope it can be adjusted better than the video shows, because it looks dangerous obstructing field of view of cars and the road.

raptor-22

Jan 5, 2016, 1:03 PM

Really....

Obi

Jan 5, 2016, 2:46 PM

I am sure it can be adjusted. Nice thing about this is that you can use different brand of sunglasses.

Stevief

Jan 6, 2016, 9:51 AM

This is crap , its obstructs your view utter rubbish, have a look at this brand heads up display is where this is going.

http://www.bikeradar.com/road/news/article/raptor-smart-glasses-feel-the-need-the-need-for-speed-45748/

davem

Jan 6, 2016, 10:34 AM

Love the concept of the Varia. Was wanting to buy one when it was Backtracker. Garmin pricing has pushed it into the Maybe category.

The head up display would seem like a distraction, would not want anything blocking my vision.

Do cyclists really need all that data visible full time? Maybe in a TT or on the Track?

EmptyB

Jan 6, 2016, 10:56 AM

I suspect it would actually annoy me....

Mongoose!

Jan 10, 2016, 7:13 PM

30g on your nose is heavy - would be better on the helmet?

intern

Jan 10, 2016, 7:20 PM

Overengineering if you asked me. Leave the headphones behind, listen and be aware of traffic and be considerate.

Add a comment

You must log in to comment