Tech

Mio launches heart rate watches and wristbands

· By Press Office · 17 comments

For the past 30 years, heart rate monitors have helped millions achieve measured success during exercise. Whether for fitness, specific sports improvement, recovery from illness or weight loss, heart rate monitors have allowed men and women to understand and manage the duration and intensity of their efforts more effectively and achieve their desired results.

ccs-62657-0-13555100-1431415706.jpg

There’s always been one major drawback though. No matter which heart rate monitor brand you choose, you have to wear a heart-rate strap around your chest. Yes, it makes sense, as your chest is where your heart is located; but ask anyone that exercises with a heart rate monitor if they’re happy to be compelled to wear a chest strap and you’ll get a unanimous ‘no’.

Chest straps are either constrictive or they slip down and have to be manually repositioned regularly during an exercise session, especially in exercise that involves any kind of walking, jogging or all-out running.
Canadian fitness brand, Mio Global, has made a groundbreaking progress with its heart rate monitor range. By incorporating technology, Mio Global has developed a way to accurately measure heart rate, eliminating the need to wear a chest strap to do so.

“It’s the kind of progress that will transform the fitness and sports industry. Where other brands got used to a problem, Mio Global found a way to solve it. Why should anyone have to wear a chest strap to measure heart rate when it’s no longer necessary?” remarked Jason Theunissen of Ballistic Bike Trading, Mio Global’s exclusive distribution partner for Southern Africa.

Mio Global’s patented optical heart rate technology is at the core of each of its products. Mio Global’s heart rate monitoring is extremely accurate, with a 0.99 correlation to EKG in laboratory testing. An optical sensor monitors the volume of blood under your skin and sophisticated algorithms are applied to the pulse signal so that the heart’s true rhythm can be detected, even during high intensity workouts

Mio Global heart rate watches and wristbands connect seamlessly to smartphone fitness apps, bike computers, and GPS watches, via Bluetooth Smart (4.0) and/or ANT+ transmission, making them the perfect companion for those that exercise for health and those that compete seriously in sport.

Mio Alpha 2

Heart rate sports watch
Ideal use: For serious fitness and training
Mio ALPHA 2 boasts all the features of the original award-winning Mio ALPHA plus more! Mio ALPHA 2 provides EKG-accurate heart rate data, along with distance, calories, pace, and speed. ALPHA 2 connects to smart devices via Bluetooth Smart (4.0) so athletes can use all the training and tracking features of their favorite fitness apps.
Price: R2699

ccs-62657-0-82693600-1431415678.jpg

Mio Fuse

Heart rate training and activity tracker
Ideal use: For general fitness
Mio FUSE is a sleek all-in-one performance wristband that combines Mio’s patented optical heart rate monitoring technology with the features of a sports watch and activity tracker. The wristband tracks distance, steps, calories, and goal progress throughout the day, as well as heart rate and pace during workouts. FUSE provides athletes with a more comprehensive look at exertion, recovery, and overall fitness than any other product on the market.
Price: R2499

ccs-62657-0-85966500-1431415687.jpg

Mio Velo

Heart rate cycling wristband
Ideal use: For serious cycling
Get EKG-accurate heart rate data and transform your smartphone into a powerful all-in-one bike computer. VELO measures heart rate from the wrist, and bridges ANT+ speed and cadence sensors to Bluetooth Smart (4.0). Pair VELO to your favorite fitness apps to display and record your workouts and share your cycling stats.
Price: R1899

ccs-62657-0-10701700-1431415715.jpg

Mio Link

Continuous heart rate wristband
Ideal use: For recreational running and cycling
Mio LINK captures and transmits EKG-accurate heart rate data to smartphone fitness apps, GPS watches, and bike computers. LINK features a comfortable, sleek design with a soft silicone strap. Available in two sizes to fit a wide range of wrist sizes.
Price: R1699

ccs-62657-0-31517500-1431415697.jpg

Tags:

Comments

Jinga

May 12, 2015, 8:23 AM

Bought the MIO Alpha 2 three months back.

What a pleasure not having to use the irritating chest strap.

Syncs up to smart phone, were I can view/make changes to setting from the smart phone. Once home turn on the App on the smart phone and your workout data is transferred. Having different color light flashing for different heart rat zone is also a nice feature.

Robodog

May 12, 2015, 9:02 AM

Got a Mio Fuse for myself a few weeks ago. Loving it's ease of use.

It's difficult to sell something you don't have in stock and don't know how to use yourself... that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it!

Swart Kat

May 12, 2015, 7:52 PM

The Link and Velo looks like a nice cycling edition. Only problem I can see is that you will have to mount your phone on your handlebar to see your HR! That mounts never keep the phone steady or even breaks.

Loose cog

May 13, 2015, 5:52 AM

Anyone know if the Velo will sync with Wahoo Fitness products like the Repeater?

MIO Global South Africa

May 13, 2015, 2:19 PM

Hi Swart Kat, the device can show you a represntation of your HR. It is done so via a visible LED that has 5 colours that represents your HR and or MAX HR zones. For example a red would be 165 - 183 BPM and 85% -100% of your Max HR. It would have diffrent colours for the other zones.
www.bbt.mioglobal.co.za

MIO Global South Africa

May 13, 2015, 2:19 PM

Hi Loose Cog, yes it will and the Velo in partticular will convert the ANT+ signal as well in to Smart BTS...

jamex

May 13, 2015, 4:37 PM

I got myself the MIA ALPHA last year as cant wear a chest strap due signals not working like they should in my heart. At my last checkup at the cardio(September) I wore mine when they tested me on the treadmill and it was on par with there expensive equipment!

Do miss having just to look at my Garmin to see where I am.

When I'm my home trainer I use Smartphone with the app which picks up heart rate nicely then I put can put the phone in front of me to see what zone I'm in. 

milky4130

May 13, 2015, 5:42 PM

Surely you should still be able to use the Garmin Edge 500 mounted on your handlebars?

jamex

May 13, 2015, 6:30 PM

Yes but without heart rate function.

My Garmin Edge 500 doesn't pick the signal from the watch.(unless im doing something wrong)Would be awesome though!

Stretch

May 13, 2015, 6:43 PM

Why wear a HR strap? Feeling tired = slow down a bit. Feeling strong = speed up. I don't need a machine to tell me that!

used to think like that but since using it for endurance running training I have found it very useful..especially on marathons and ultra's...i can get an indicator if I am pushing too hard in the beginning...or more importantly if I am pushing too hard up a hill

whats the battery life on these? and why oh why do people not make things waterproof these days..or is it?

jamex

May 13, 2015, 6:55 PM

Water proof yes. Did the Herald cycle tour this year which was pretty wet!

As for swimming cant say never swam with it but im sure it fine as its a sealed unit.Charging is done via PC to docking station which fits it like you put on your wrist and underneath there is metal contacts which transfer the charge from charger to the battery.

Battery last me a few weeks on a charge.

Stretch

May 13, 2015, 7:12 PM

Water proof yes. Did the Herald cycle tour this year which was pretty wet!

As for swimming cant say never swam with it but im sure it fine as its a sealed unit.Charging is done via PC to docking station which fits it like you put on your wrist and underneath there is metal contacts which transfer the charge from charger to the battery.

Battery last me a few weeks on a charge.

Aaah thought it was gps too..so battery life nor as critical then...sounds like you could swim with it then as my Garmin has similar charging setup
MIO Global South Africa

Oct 6, 2015, 8:54 AM

Yes but without heart rate function.

My Garmin Edge 500 doesn't pick the signal from the watch.(unless im doing something wrong)Would be awesome though!

Hi Jamex, it will work with your Garmin Edge 500, we ride with a Edge 500 ourselves as well.

just go to settings and pair new HR device, that simple. It works with ANT + so no issue in pairing. 

MIO Global South Africa

Oct 6, 2015, 8:55 AM

Surely you should still be able to use the Garmin Edge 500 mounted on your handlebars?

Yes you will be able to, no issues...

Alastair_S1D

Jan 30, 2018, 9:24 PM

What's the difference between the Velo and the Link?

Mailman7412

Mar 18, 2019, 4:23 AM

Howzit guys

Any idea who sells/distributes these

Thanks

The Mailman

Add a comment

You must log in to comment