Tech

New and improved Sahmurai Sword launched at Eurobike

· By Press Office · 60 comments

Now almost 18-months into production, the SahmuraiSword, that easy-to-use, simple-to-store and safe way of carrying a tubeless plug system on your mountain bike, has undergone something of a facelift. The improvements are far from just aesthetic tweaks, however and come on the back of rider feedback and continued internal R&D over the past years.

ccs-2-0-65763100-1474465686.jpgPhoto: Kolesky/Nikon/Lexar

The system – which are essentially bar-plugs – allows you store both the plug and reamer tool inside your handlebars. This we know. So what has changed?

• It features an improved (i.e stronger) base unit into which the needle and reamer have been recessed deeper.
  • The knurling on the outside edge has been ‘softened’ to reduce interference with your hands and improve fit into the handlebars.
  • Then the logo has also been recessed to protect it and we’ve made it more visible. ( You have to show off you’re riding smart, right?)

“We constantly strive to better our product with the feedback from our warriors,” explains the team behind the product. “Small differences to the product can make a huge difference in the result,” they said.

The SahmuraiSword – brainchild of three-time Absa Cape Epic champion Stefan Sahm of Team Bulls – fits snug and locks fast inside the handlebars without any give or movement. It doesn’t affect riding in any way, but is easily accessible when you puncture. No multitools are needed to unscrew it and no special fittings are required to attach it to the bike.

Comments

VicanZA

Sep 21, 2016, 2:13 PM

can they improve the way they lock in place? lost mine... popped out during a ride.

VicanZA

Sep 21, 2016, 2:13 PM

can you replace mine? 

AlanD

Sep 21, 2016, 2:15 PM

Honestly, that's really nothing major at all. A few cosmetic things but still exactly the same. Will never buy this thing again as the one side broke after a soft fall and the other just went missing. 

Paul Ruinaard

Sep 21, 2016, 2:16 PM

Honestly, that's really nothing major at all. A few cosmetic things but still exactly the same. Will never buy this thing again as the one side broke after a soft fall and the other just went missing. 

same happened to mine....

Javas X

Sep 21, 2016, 2:26 PM

same thing happened to me too  :thumbdown:

BaGearA

Sep 21, 2016, 2:32 PM

for the price of these you can get 2 ryder tubeless kits and they can just be carried in your back pocket ,you also get a knife and more plugs to carry..... 

Fox3

Sep 21, 2016, 2:33 PM

Same problem. So I bought another and now I have two reamers...useful for reaming and nothing else

Spock

Sep 21, 2016, 2:36 PM

Happy with mine. Never fallen out. Maybe you guys aren't fitting it tight enough?

Fox3

Sep 21, 2016, 2:37 PM

can you replace mine?

Tried to get mine replaced but it didn't work and was an aweful process

Bizkit031

Sep 21, 2016, 2:45 PM

Wahahahahaha changed the logo what a joke.

no calves

Sep 21, 2016, 2:58 PM

Same problem. So I bought another and now I have two reamers...useful for reaming and nothing else

Can I get one? lost my Reamer

nonky

Sep 21, 2016, 3:09 PM

Cyclists seldom use Samurai Sword when possessing Spez Swat.

Eldron

Sep 21, 2016, 3:14 PM

One of the hero to zero stories of mtb.

Looked awesome and was pretty innovative... Until you bought them.

Unless you tightened them to Hulk level they fell out.

Sometimes the little plastic threads broke.

Awesome idea - kaaak product.

Eldron

Sep 21, 2016, 3:16 PM

Alas... new AND improved? One of my pet marketing peeves. If it's improved it's not new. If it's new it's not improved. Pick one....

Gen

Sep 21, 2016, 3:24 PM

One of the hero to zero stories of mtb.

Looked awesome and was pretty innovative... Until you bought them.

Unless you tightened them to Hulk level they fell out.

Sometimes the little plastic threads broke.

Awesome idea - kaaak product.

So weird that people have had issues.. we've had them since they were first available they are still there and I've never had an issue with them coming loose or falling out.[emoji53]

Are you guys following the instructions[emoji6]

droo

Sep 21, 2016, 4:03 PM

Here's an idea... make them out of alu, then they'll be a million times stronger. Also, make some way of taking them out when the cap breaks off. That taper is close to impossible to get a grip on.

T-Bob

Sep 21, 2016, 4:05 PM

So weird that people have had issues.. we've had them since they were first available they are still there and I've never had an issue with them coming loose or falling out.[emoji53]

Are you guys following the instructions[emoji6]

guys... instructions... think there is the issue! 

MphatiPyga

Sep 21, 2016, 4:57 PM

Really a great idea for a product, mine has saved me and others countless times, but unfortunately gone wondering unexpectedly after trackside knocks. Feel the plastic should perhaps be of a softer more malleable type for the exposed regions and perhaps do the screw in bit as a Alu or similar metal insert as mine have also stripped ( thread tape works ). Love the idea but don't think I will be replacing at current price and longevity

Rocket-Boy

Sep 21, 2016, 5:40 PM

When I read the about improvement and them listening to rider feedback I expect first on the list to be improved retention.

Didnt find it anywhere, so clearly they didnt listen to rider feedback after all.

EmptyB

Sep 21, 2016, 5:59 PM

*** gimmick...

slickjay007

Sep 21, 2016, 6:04 PM

Mine went missing on the first ride! Total waste of money

carbon ghost

Sep 21, 2016, 6:13 PM

Mine don't fit inside my carbon bars.

V12man

Sep 21, 2016, 6:14 PM

Here's an idea... make them out of alu, then they'll be a million times stronger. Also, make some way of taking them out when the cap breaks off. That taper is close to impossible to get a grip on.

just knock it through...

There is definitely a way to assemble them incorrectly and then they don't tighten properly - got my partners bike back from a shop after replacing bars and they would not stay in properly for love or money - then put them back together properly and as good as new again - still running my originals after more than 2 years and several falls without issues after.more than 3000km of racing with them

Ryno.

Sep 21, 2016, 6:34 PM

The internal diameter of bars differ that's why they work for some but not for others and the developers clearly didn't make sure they can fit the bars with a bigger internal diameter.

Add a comment

You must log in to comment